Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"....and our biggest crowd of the season!"

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seriously, when the opposition crowd have already sung "You're only here to see the <Insert Team Name Here>", can we please not play to their egos and pump them up by shouting about how it's our biggest crowd of the season.

Here's a handy checklist for Richie Reynolds:

Announce the attendance? Fine.
Announce the travelling support? Fine.
Thank everyone for their support? Fine.

Pump up the away fans? Not fine.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Seriously, when the opposition crowd have already sung "You're only here to see the <Insert Team Name Here>", can we please not play to their egos and pump them up by shouting about how it's our biggest crowd of the season.

Here's a handy checklist for Richie Reynolds:

Announce the attendance? Fine.
Announce the travelling support? Fine.
Thank everyone for their support? Fine.

Pump up the away fans? Not fine.
Yeah seems stupid when it's so minuscule compared to previous Amex sellouts....scrap the away attendance announcement and this biggest crowd of the season clap trap....so pathetic :yawn:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I can't believe people applaud the away support.
Agreed. I'm amazed they don't stand up and cheer the away goals.

(Although last night I'd personally applaud every fan who braved the shambolic and almost non-existent 'sustainable transport').

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I like it. They've travelled a long way to watch football. I don't think the announcement has any particular effect on them. We shouldn't feel the need to scrap the announcement to gain a competitive edge, we're already playing at home.

I don't clap though, that feels patronising.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I like it. They've travelled a long way to watch football. I don't think the announcement has any particular effect on them. We shouldn't feel the need to scrap the announcement to gain a competitive edge, we're already playing at home.

I don't clap though, that feels patronising.
O please

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To many non football people involved with the Albion that don't 'get it'

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No one was complaining when loads of non BHA fans turned up to support us against Hartlepool in 1997, and in subsequent campaigns over the next 14 years. I don't see why a ten second clap and being a bit more welcoming than the average ground is really a problem.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
By acknowledging the number of away fans, we are tacitly thanking them for giving us their money despite the difficult logistics involved in getting to the Amex compared to most other grounds. The Villa fans provided a nice little earner and on a Friday evening too.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
One lady next to us stood with great verve, performed the 'seal on speed' impression with small genuflections when the away was announced. I honestly though she was going to wet herself.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry, this wasn't a "why do we announce (and some clap) the away support?" discussion. That one's been done to death. People sit on different sides of that debate and are never going to shift.

This is more specifically last night's extra step that was clearly going to play up to Villa fans given they'd already sung "Only here to see the Villa, You're only here to see the Villa".

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Last night the attendance announcement had a noticeable effect on noise levels in the Away End. At a time in the game when we were defending or had just defended 4 or 5 corners on the bounce. Stupid. Give it up.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Sorry, this wasn't a "why do we announce (and some clap) the away support?" discussion. That one's been done to death. People sit on different sides of that debate and are never going to shift.

This is more specifically last night's extra step that was clearly going to play up to Villa fans given they'd already sung "Only here to see the Villa, You're only here to see the Villa".

It's all related surely? They are not separate issues.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here