Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prisons

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You are wrong.

We have the highest prison population of Western Europe with the fewest number of foreign nationals, around 10,000 (of around 95,000 total) compared to 14,000 foreign nationals in France and 19,000 foreign nationals in Germany, 17,000 in Italy, 20,000 in Spain.

Get out of here with your facts.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
We should watch out. If we keep blaming foreigners for our own ills despite the existence of hard evidence to the contrary we might end up doing something rash.

Oh.

I can't see the revelance of someone's nationality when it comes to breaking the law

I bet there's a fair few Brits locked up worldwide

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Too many people being sent to prison.
Many of those with drug problems shouldn't be in prison, but should be given proper help to kick the habit. Trouble is, there aren't enough rehab resources.
Not enough prison officers and quite frankly, many of the existing prisons should be knocked down and new facilities built fit for the 21st century.
Too much emphasis on just locking individuals up and too little emphasis on rehabilitation.
Too much notice has been taken by successive Governments in 'acting tough' on crime to appease the flog 'em, hang 'em and f--k 'em ' brigade, with little or no constructive thought given to what is the right way forward for both, prisoners and society as a whole.
I have to agree with what Michael Gove says:'many aspects of the justice system are themselves practically criminal'.

Don't disagree with a word of that...

But...

Drug users tend to get sent to prison for acquisitive offences committed to pay for their habit. Often it's low level but persistent thievery/shoplifting and it gets to the point where the court has no option but to impose custody. I've said it before but it's time for society as a whole to have a full and frank discussion about the legalisation of drugs and our approach to addiction.
I've seen people go onto drug rehabilitation programmes for the fourth or fifth time make a success of it (I've seen people fail too, sadly) and turn their lives around so it does work.
I've also sent people to prison for offences that 100% deserve it (stealing a woman's purse while she was having a heart attack) but knowing that they'll be out in 2 months and go straight back on the heroin because the prisons do nothing for short term prisoners. It's a cycle that will repeat until the addict is cured or dies.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I can't see the revelance of someone's nationality when it comes to breaking the law

I bet there's a fair few Brits locked up worldwide

Think you might have missed the thread here;

- Someone said the issue is that our prisons are full of foreigners
- That was refuted that comparative to other countries it isn't so much of a problem
- You then said it has nothing to with other countries, as if you were in support of the original assertion that the problem is the number of foreigners in our prisons.

We're in agreement, I think. The failing of our prison system has very little to do with foreigners.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
After watching the program on Channel 4 last week, you would have to be a nutter to accept a job as a prison officer.

It's been on at least 3 times since it was first shown last week, each time I was going to start a thread to alert people to watch it, I am sure they will show it again on one of the channel 4 channels or catch up.
It is horrendous, shocking and scary, one of the most shocking programmes I have seen for a long time.
It's called the secrets life of prisons, with true footage from smuggled in mobiles.
I urge everyone to watch it.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
You are wrong.

We have the highest prison population of Western Europe with the fewest number of foreign nationals, around 10,000 (of around 95,000 total) compared to 14,000 foreign nationals in France and 19,000 foreign nationals in Germany, 17,000 in Italy, 20,000 in Spain.

There are still loads of them and especially in the ones that are kicking off. Prisons are also a hotbed for recruiting young men into radical Islam.

Perhaps I should've mentioned that 1 in 7 (SEVEN) inmates are Muslim. The Amount of Muslim imates doubled in the last decade.
About 1 third of Muslim inmates are from African or Caribbean backgrounds. Muslims make up almost 15% of all inmates, but only account for 4.7% of the population.

A coincidence perhaps.

Jan 30, 2008
A hot topic at the moment. What is going on? They have always been places where people misbehave but it seems to be off the scale at present. Are we too lenient or is there nothing to be done about drugs, phones, violence etc?

Yes, lady in the back with the large spectacles and green scarf.

have you ever been in one :facepalm:
regards
DR

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There are still loads of them and especially in the ones that are kicking off. Prisons are also a hotbed for recruiting young men into radical Islam.

Perhaps I should've mentioned that 1 in 7 (SEVEN) inmates are Muslim. The Amount of Muslim imates doubled in the last decade.
About 1 third of Muslim inmates are from African or Caribbean backgrounds. Muslims make up almost 15% of all inmates, but only account for 4.7% of the population.

A coincidence perhaps.

It used to be everyone became catholic when they got banged up, certain perks attached.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here