Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516
Results 151 to 158 of 158
  1. #151
    Members Stat Brother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    West west west Sussex
    Posts
    43,015


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwag View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    whereas Southgate will have a great chance at winning the Euros
    And so it begins
    “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
    http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks
    Fantasy Vuelta - League Name: NSC Geeks League Code: 68204709

    .

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #152
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      16,190


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Napper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I bet hardly anyone can name all the teams we beat in 1966. Getting where you get is the only stat remembered.

      Makes no odds. In the semi final and anything can happen
      Well I can:

      Group
      0-0 against Uruguay (aka 'the scoreless shocker')
      2-0 Mexico
      2-0 France

      Quarter final (only 16 teams so no 2nd round match)
      Argentina 1-0 (Hurst)

      Semi final
      Portugal 2-1 (Two Charlton goals. Their's was a penalty by Eusebio after Jack Charlton had deliberately handled Eusebio's goalbound effort)

      I was 9 and I remember it vividly. But yeah, your point is probably valid for the youngsters. Even Alan Shearer said he didn't know! (As an aside I wonder how many of the younger Albion fans can name all the teams we beat on the way to Wembley in 1983?)

    • #153
      Members
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      17,370


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brovion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Well I can:

      Group
      0-0 against Uruguay (aka 'the scoreless shocker')
      2-0 Mexico
      2-0 France

      Quarter final (only 16 teams so no 2nd round match)
      Argentina 1-0 (Hurst)

      Semi final
      Portugal 2-1 (Two Charlton goals. Their's was a penalty by Eusebio after Jack Charlton had deliberately handled Eusebio's goalbound effort)

      I was 9 and I remember it vividly. But yeah, your point is probably valid for the youngsters. Even Alan Shearer said he didn't know! (As an aside I wonder how many of the younger Albion fans can name all the teams we beat on the way to Wembley in 1983?)
      I knew Mexico, and Portugal through my Dad showing me Bobby Charlton's goals ad infinitum. The goal against Mexico would have gone through the Wembley terrace had the back stanchion not stopped it...I wasn't born, but he always said the semi final Charlton was simply unstoppable (his other goal not included in the clip below unfortunately).

    • #154
      Members sheebo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      18,355


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Nomad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yeah, win or lose tonight my attitude has definitely changed and I now see the benefits of having a manager that has gone through the ranks and brought the players on from more junior levels. I think my disillusionment was with the old duffer Hodgson that had not only stagnated but taken us back when we thought we could go back no further, followed up by a dinosaur of a manager that liked taking bungs and an inept FA that didn't seem to have any idea where they were going. I'd washed my hands of it by then, and didn't think GS would be mug enough to get embroiled in another disaster. He's taken us a long way in two short years, but there is also the long term plan, keeping him in the job and us continously improving, as the Germans sort to do, and succeeded in the first part of the new century. I'm back on the bus with GS.
      Brilliant post. Well done lads.
      Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it.

      Inigo Calderon
      May 2016
    • #155
      ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Dick Head's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      Quaxxann
      Posts
      7,730


      0 Not allowed!
      I never rated him. The World Cup is a pointless waste of time anyway. And I've always said that.
      Mackay: I'm going to book you for that.
      Cooper: You what?
      Mackay: What's your name, Cooper?
      Cooper: Cooper.
    • #156
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2009
      Location
      Lindfield (near the pond)
      Posts
      952


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Nomad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Yeah, win or lose tonight my attitude has definitely changed and I now see the benefits of having a manager that has gone through the ranks and brought the players on from more junior levels. I think my disillusionment was with the old duffer Hodgson that had not only stagnated but taken us back when we thought we could go back no further, followed up by a dinosaur of a manager that liked taking bungs and an inept FA that didn't seem to have any idea where they were going. I'd washed my hands of it by then, and didn't think GS would be mug enough to get embroiled in another disaster. He's taken us a long way in two short years, but there is also the long term plan, keeping him in the job and us continously improving, as the Germans sort to do, and succeeded in the first part of the new century. I'm back on the bus with GS.
      Bit too soon for me, but understand sentiments. In all honesty maybe tomorrow, but for the mo can't get past tonight.
    • #157
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Posts
      1,036


      0 Not allowed!
      How long will it take for Southgate to go from Hero to Zero?
    • #158
      Members
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      17,370


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LVGull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      How long will it take for Southgate to go from Hero to Zero?
      18 months if we fail to qualify for the Euros.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •