Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it me or are there less poppies around this year?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I have stopped wearing poppies since the poppy fascists have insisted poppies have to be worn or else you must be an Isis member or worse. I actually put more in their tins since I have taken that stance, maybe though embarrassment at not wearing one so can't actually walk past a tin without , but isn't poppy wearing an individual choice rather than proof you are a TV presenter.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Unfortunately it's down to the Poppy organisers either dying off,or stopping volunteering, and other people not stepping in to do the role.
Therefore the boxes don't get taken to the various shops,cafes etc

If you are willing and able to help then get in touch with your nearest RBL,even this late in the day they will be very grateful

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Happy to put money in the tin/box (and have this year) but I find it slightly sad that there are so many poppy watchers out there now, judging those without. I don't really wear one after I've been given it, but that doesn't mean I care any less.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not many on show in Cwmbran yesterday. I actually commented to the missus how few were being worn, first time I've noticed this.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Due to its strong links with The Navy and Marines Plymouth is a very patriotic city and very proud of those connections.
We have many veterans who stayed here once they left the forces,many of those are old now but sell poppies with all their medals on show, so I have not noticed any demise in the number of people wearing them here.
Remembrance Sunday is also a big event on the Hoe probably one of the biggest outside London.
It's good to see people still wearing poppies here and remembering the war dead including all the Plymouth Marines who died in Afghanistan.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Well fewer in Eastbourne this morning, never saw a seller. Yes BIG poppies! What in Gods name is that about? Because it shouts 'look at me' in my view. My career was spent in both the military and MOD, I will always buy a poppy ...its ingrained, just a regular poppy every year without fail. But Big Poppies ..pah! And whilst I'm ranting what about metal pin poppies,what's that about? Does that mean that 'Cheap Charlie's' now buy one poppy for life, or does it say "I've bought a superior poppy to you"? :shrug:

I wear a metal pin poppy simply because i got sick of losing or ripping the traditional ones.......but put some money in the box every year.

Round here there's more poppies than ever with a load having been put up on the lamp posts.......
ww.theboltonnews.co.uk/comment/14837244.Large_poppies_give_us_all_a_welcome_reminder/

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I wear a metal pin poppy simply because i got sick of losing or ripping the traditional ones.......but put some money in the box every year.

Round here there's more poppies than ever with a load having been put up on the lamp posts.......
ww.theboltonnews.co.uk/comment/14837244.Large_poppies_give_us_all_a_welcome_reminder/

Well that's good, however perhaps I'm overly suspicious, possibly naive. But selling 'forever poppies' might IMO lead to some people just opening the draw taking out last years pin, and going on parade with a clear conscience. But no big deal, we all have our standards and some better than others. But making a contribution to the British Legion is vital for ex servicemen and women. It would be disappointing to see that losing revenue.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well that's good, however perhaps I'm overly suspicious, possibly naive. But selling 'forever poppies' might IMO lead to some people just opening the draw taking out last years pin, and going on parade with a clear conscience. But no big deal, we all have our standards and some better than others. But making a contribution to the British Legion is vital for ex servicemen and women. It would be disappointing to see that losing revenue.

The metal poppies have the year on them.

There are poppies on the lampposts in Peacehaven.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It seems its compulsory to wear one on TV. I did notice that Juergen Klopp was not wearing one on the last match of the day program. Doubt it was anything to do with him being German. Not that it bothers me anyway.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Well fewer in Eastbourne this morning, never saw a seller. Yes BIG poppies! What in Gods name is that about? Because it shouts 'look at me' in my view. My career was spent in both the military and MOD, I will always buy a poppy ...its ingrained, just a regular poppy every year without fail. But Big Poppies ..pah! And whilst I'm ranting what about metal pin poppies,what's that about? Does that mean that 'Cheap Charlie's' now buy one poppy for life, or does it say "I've bought a superior poppy to you"? :shrug:

They have the year on them.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The metal poppies have the year on them.

this had me slightly confused, ive just checked the ones from previous years and the ones that arrived this year and none have the year on.
i think you may be confused with the commemorative 2016 ones which are for 100 years of the Somme.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think there are less generally but i have noticed an increase in the smaller metal badges. I buy a couple every year at least and have done for last 3 years or so.

All mine have had a year on them. You can buy big glittery ones which dont. But even if no year I would still get a couple anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
this had me slightly confused, ive just checked the ones from previous years and the ones that arrived this year and none have the year on.
i think you may be confused with the commemorative 2016 ones which are for 100 years of the Somme.

No, I am not confused. I have several with consecutive dates on them. If I wasn't busy I could line them up and take a photo.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I have stopped wearing poppies since the poppy fascists have insisted poppies have to be worn or else you must be an Isis member or worse. I actually put more in their tins since I have taken that stance, maybe though embarrassment at not wearing one so can't actually walk past a tin without , but isn't poppy wearing an individual choice rather than proof you are a TV presenter.

Likewise, how on earth is it 'showing respect' if you feel press ganged in to wearing one.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

They have a date on.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Happy to put money in the tin/box (and have this year) but I find it slightly sad that there are so many poppy watchers out there now, judging those without. I don't really wear one after I've been given it, but that doesn't mean I care any less.

Exactly this. You don't need to wear one at all times to remember the sacrifices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here