Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Family trees - Ancestry.co.uk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Wankers! Do I even have to say it?

signature

Do you know, I realised I had not used 'too' on the first to, so I did an edit, but, because it was on my phone, and I have fat thumbs, I changed the wrong one making them both wrong. When I realised what I had done, I thought"ah, stuff it , no one will care"

Looks like I was wrong,two bad

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Ancestry is my go-to site for research. It can take up a lot of time; I have been working on mine for 10 years and continuously find new angles and stories. For me it is the human element, I have come across arsonists, smugglers, landowners, half-Knights, tramps, silk-weavers and more labourers than you can shake a stick at.

I have met distant cousins, celebrated a great-uncle's addition to a local war memorial and uncovered a minor scandal in the family.

I love it and the research that goes with it. As well as the sites mentioned I have also found a simple Google to be a useful tool. It is surprising how much information is out there already. I am also grateful I have not kept track of mow much I spend.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
And the award for most ridiculous/tenuous mention of Brexit in a thread goes to....

How is it ridiculous or tenuous. I was merely stating that it might be advantageous to research your ancestry to see if you qualify for a passport from another european country; In the event that Brexit ends free movement, you could still move/retire anywhere in the EU.

Back on track, my own research has shown me that I can obtain Italian citizenship under the "jure sanguinis" rule.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How is it ridiculous or tenuous. I was merely stating that it might be advantageous to research your ancestry to see if you qualify for a passport from another european country; In the event that Brexit ends free movement, you could still move/retire anywhere in the EU.

Back on track, my own research has shown me that I can obtain Italian citizenship under the "jure sanguinis" rule.

Because it's ridiculous point-scoring in a thread that doesn't need another mention of Brexit. We both know what your game was so really no need to be so coy.

Secondly, for nigh on all countries you would need to have parents or grandparents who have citizenship in that country for you to claim citizenship and frankly for almost everyone we don't need to go onto Ancestry.co.uk to know where our parents or grandparents were born. Lastly, I fail to see the relevance of jure sanguinis in this thread. It's clearly nothing to do with ancestry.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Because it's ridiculous point-scoring in a thread that doesn't need another mention of Brexit. We both know what your game was so really no need to be so coy.

It's nothing to do with points scoring. I'm bored of the Brexit argument. I could have said "should there be an event whereby the right to free movement is thrown into doubt" but "Brexit" is shorter.

Secondly, for nigh on all countries you would need to have parents or grandparents who have citizenship in that country for you to claim citizenship and frankly for almost everyone we don't need to go onto Ancestry.co.uk to know where our parents or grandparents were born. Lastly, I fail to see the relevance of jure sanguinis in this thread. It's clearly nothing to do with ancestry.

My Grandfather was born in Brighton to Italian parents. I have no living relatives that I am in contact with so needed to research the bloodline (hence "jure sanguinis").

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Do you know, I realised I had not used 'too' on the first to, so I did an edit, but, because it was on my phone, and I have fat thumbs, I changed the wrong one making them both wrong. When I realised what I had done, I thought"ah, stuff it , no one will care"

Looks like I was wrong,two bad

As Henry Durant, founder of the Swiss Red Cross, I care for everyone.

Thank L.Ron, Henry didn't believe in such careless caring.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
:bounce:

Just got the bug... having inherited a small family tree diagram, and loads of old photos of unknown family members, and made a few useful contacts, I'm wondering what to do next.

Does ancestry.co.uk have a standard way to export the family tree data to other software? IE. if I start a 14-day trial, will I be able to use that data elsewhere, without manually copying it?

Ive had a couple of goes at using it with varying degrees of success. It's easy to make an assumption that a record you find is that of a relative but you need to be certain it is otherwise you end up down the wrong branch line.

And the records aren't always accurate - for example the house I was born in is in Wedmore Gardens in London but Ive found records calling it both Wedmore Road and Wedmore Street.

The biggest difficulty I found was on my father's side - his mother's maiden name was Reid, her father was John Reid, his father was John Reid and his father was - you've guessed it - John Reid. It gets bloody confusing after a while.

But even a 14 day free trial will give you a good insight and get you back a few generations.

Unless your name happens to be John Reid that is.

:bounce:

Just got the bug... having inherited a small family tree diagram, and loads of old photos of unknown family members, and made a few useful contacts, I'm wondering what to do next.

Does ancestry.co.uk have a standard way to export the family tree data to other software? IE. if I start a 14-day trial, will I be able to use that data elsewhere, without manually copying it?

Yes. There's a standard format for family trees called GEDCOM. Create an Ancestry tree and convert it to GEDCOM format, before exporting it to any other genealogy programme that takes your fancy.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Ive had a couple of goes at using it with varying degrees of success. It's easy to make an assumption that a record you find is that of a relative but you need to be certain it is otherwise you end up down the wrong branch line.

And the records aren't always accurate - for example the house I was born in is in Wedmore Gardens in London but Ive found records calling it both Wedmore Road and Wedmore Street.

The biggest difficulty I found was on my father's side - his mother's maiden name was Reid, her father was John Reid, his father was John Reid and his father was - you've guessed it - John Reid. It gets bloody confusing after a while.

But even a 14 day free trial will give you a good insight and get you back a few generations.

Thanks. My father and grandfather have the same name, but I do have some unusual family names, which I'm now grateful for!

Edit: on the off-chance - Moon, Camp, Awcock, Bissett (up north), Baker, Dunstone. I shall be looking at all blood relatives, not just the male family side.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yes. There's a standard format for family trees called GEDCOM. Create an Ancestry tree and convert it to GEDCOM format, before exporting it to any other genealogy programme that takes your fancy.

Great, that's worth knowing. I'm hoping to hear soon about a new genealogy group in my area; will find out what software they use.

Great, that's worth knowing. I'm hoping to hear soon about a new genealogy group in my area; will find out what software they use.

If you are looking for free software, have a poke about here:- http://www.familytreemagazine.com/article/family_tree_software

The advantages of an Ancestry subscription, of course, is not just the software; it's the access that you get to masses and masses of records, as well as the research conclusions of other Ancestry members who have chosen to make their family trees public.

After years of using the free PAF ("Personal Ancestry File") software that the Mormons made available, I've switched to Family Historian which, like Ancestry, makes available other people's family trees. If you can trust their research, this can be a very rapid way to trace a line back many generations. Mind you, it has to be said that there is a lot more pleasure to be had from doing your own research, rather than just relying upon copying and pasting the work of other people.

PAF is no longer being made available by the Mormons, nor is it supported.

One very valuable free resource for English and Welsh records is freebmd.org.uk If the person you are looking for was born, married or died even quite recently, the Search feature will almost certainly open the door to you finding some information about the individual's family, if the event happened no later than 1983. Test it out by searching for your own birth. And then contemplate the fact that your mother's maiden name is not as "secret" as you imagined it was when you signed up to online banking.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

My maternal grandfather's family alternate generations with John, Samuel, John, Samuel, except that he was not the eldest son, so was called Ernest.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
If you are looking for free software, have a poke about here:- http://www.familytreemagazine.com/article/family_tree_software

The advantages of an Ancestry subscription, of course, is not just the software; it's the access that you get to masses and masses of records, as well as the research conclusions of other Ancestry members who have chosen to make their family trees public.

After years of using the free PAF ("Personal Ancestry File") software that the Mormons made available, I've switched to Family Historian which, like Ancestry, makes available other people's family trees. If you can trust their research, this can be a very rapid way to trace a line back many generations. Mind you, it has to be said that there is a lot more pleasure to be had from doing your own research, rather than just relying upon copying and pasting the work of other people.

PAF is no longer being made available by the Mormons, nor is it supported.

One very valuable free resource for English and Welsh records is freebmd.org.uk If the person you are looking for was born, married or died even quite recently, the Search feature will almost certainly open the door to you finding some information about the individual's family, if the event happened no later than 1983. Test it out by searching for your own birth. And then contemplate the fact that your mother's maiden name is not as "secret" as you imagined it was when you signed up to online banking.

Thanks. I checked the GEDCOM export on my old Genes Reunited login. I just wish I'd started all this before the weather turned nice again!

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I've used Ancestry on and off for about 18 years. I currently pay £13.99 a month. Living in a fairly boring country which is virtually alcohol-free, ans with no family with me, I usually have the time to dabble on it several times a week. the Family Trees that a made public are great as you can check out other trees that may be connected to yours. And you can message people who you think you may be related to to check out information. If it is worth £13.99 a month is another matter; personally I don't think I get my monies worth, but it's all subjective.

And I have relatives from Patching too!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
:bounce: If anyone's interested, there's a *free* FutureLearn course starting on Monday - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/genealogy/4

I'm now addicted, and am beginning to realise that everyone is a distant cousin.

Unless they're a close cousin.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I plumped up for the DNA test thing on Ancestry a couple of months ago.
Got the results and was a little underwhelmed, was hoping for something a bit more exotic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here