Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why doesn't FIFA just shove it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How isn't it!? It is representative of a capitalist system...which is a political thing.

I am a veteran but don't mind either way whether a poppy is worn or not.

Please tell me how a poppy is representative of a capitalist system? It's from a charity.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Black armband with poppy. We had exactly the same scenario a few years ago and this was the agreed outcome. Why waste time asking the same question again, haven't these people got better things to do?
See above. This is about virtue signalling by the Sun. In the hope that football fans will forget what a bunch of shitty liars they really are.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I don't. But then I don't claim to not allow political symbols on my clothing.
Are you saying if Nike wanted to change their logo then they would have to check with FIFA if it was ok first!? That sounds like bullshit.

No you were saying it about Nike changing their logo for a day to include a poppy

It is still a political symbol. So, it would be ok if Nike allowed their symbol to include a poppy for the day then?

Any other goalposts you wish to move around whilst arguing?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
i agree with FIFA on this, theres a very simple and easy to follow rule - nothing on the shirts. it is a political statement, or one that can be construed as one, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it. if FIFA allow this, they what other national/regional commemorations or celebrations should they allow?

I'm with you. We never used to have poppies on football shirts at all, why did we start? It could even be argued (although I accept it's not a particularly strong argument) that it IS political as the shirt wearers don't have the choice as to whether they wish to wear a poppy or not - they will display the symbols they've been told to display. Where's the 'freedom' in that?

I think FIFA's rule, and the reasoning behind it is sound. Sadly Remembrance Day has become more 'political', and it's become yet another opportunity for yet another group of people to be outraged by other people's choices.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
If it's so important why didn't they have poppies on shirts years ago ? It's just another thing that has been taken over by the look at me brigade. I prefer people that just buy a poppy wear it or not and keep it personal than make all this fuss

You prefer people who support the killers of British service personnel :wanker:

Prepare for a Express and Mail "Outrage and Fury" meltdown tomorrow, plus them urging us to leave FIFA which is probably a tool of the EU like the European Court of Human Rights (Yes I know it isn't)

I will be buying a poppy.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
i agree with FIFA on this, theres a very simple and easy to follow rule - nothing on the shirts. it is a political statement, or one that can be construed as one, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it. if FIFA allow this, they what other national/regional commemorations or celebrations should they allow?

Only two things on the shirt club badge and player number. Sorted.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
This is totally ridiculous. What would happen if both teams DID wear it. What the **** are FIFA going to do? Kick us both out of the Russia Word Cup that Scotland will never qualify for and most England fans don't want to go to anyway? So what. About time the FA started showing some balls and tell FIFA where to go.

Gotta agree with that, bollocks to FIFA.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

I agree. This whole poppy thing irritates the hell out of me, in particular the number of people who have already been wearing them for days. Poppy day is NOVEMBER 11th, not Oct 27, or Oct 28. If you feel the need to wear one, then just wear it for a couple of days before and after the 11th. It's getting as irritating as having christmas cards in the shops in September.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Only two things on the shirt club badge and player number. Sorted.

Not forgetting any stars for winning the cup previously, the shirt manufacturer's logo, the competition patch, player's name (or nickname - who knows what the rules on that are)...... Jees, it's a surprise if we can see the colour of the shirt.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You prefer people who support the killers of British service personnel :wanker:

He didn't get close to implying that......but you make a good point in support of FIFA. Iif the Irish or Northern Irish FA decided they wanted to put on a symbol to respect the fallen members of the IRA I'm sure there would be many people over here very upset by that. So the FIFA blanket ban makes sense.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I agree. This whole poppy thing irritates the hell out of me, in particular the number of people who have already been wearing them for days. Poppy day is NOVEMBER 11th, not Oct 27, or Oct 28. If you feel the need to wear one, then just wear it for a couple of days before and after the 11th. It's getting as irritating as having christmas cards in the shops in September.

There is no timespan on remembering. Nor should there be a 'timespan' for poppies. Celebrating remembering and pride in those that lost their today for yours is admirable. Add in too that they provide you with your right to disagree with it. You have exercised your right however distasteful it may be to some. Feeling good now?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
He didn't get close to implying that......but you make a good point in support of FIFA. Iif the Irish or Northern Irish FA decided they wanted to put on a symbol to respect the fallen members of the IRA I'm sure there would be many people over here very upset by that. So the FIFA blanket ban makes sense.

He Is constantly plugging Jeremy Corbin on here , who DID support the killers of British service personnel, THAT was my point.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
There is no timespan on remembering. Nor should there be a 'timespan' for poppies. Celebrating remembering and pride in those that lost their today for yours is admirable. Add in too that they provide you with your right to disagree with it. You have exercised your right however distasteful it may be to some. Feeling good now?
I completely agree with him... so do many people I know... wear a poppy in the week up to remembrance Sunday... that then focuses minds and emotions instead of diluting it across that travesty of Halloween.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I completely agree with him... so do many people I know... wear a poppy in the week up to remembrance Sunday... that then focuses minds and emotions instead of diluting it across that travesty of Halloween.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't require my mind being focused by a calendar! I can remember without being prompted by a date or time.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
First world problems.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here