Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why doesn't FIFA just shove it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
FIFA have to be consistent, well seen to be.

That's why we have the booking for the removal of a shirt, it is offensive in some cultures - whilst it is completely fine here.

Is that true? I always assumed it was just for blatantly wasting time, much like kicking the ball away.

I thought it was because some players started wearing t shirts underneath with slogans on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is that true? I always assumed it was just for blatantly wasting time, much like kicking the ball away.

not heard of it being offensive before (could be the case some where) but the main reason was political messages on undershirts - recall Robbie Fowler with a message in support of Dockers? there was a problem with it especially Italy iirc. and also inciting opposition.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So why does a poppy have to be on a football shirt?

What has changed in the hundred years since remembrance began that it is important to show it off at major sporting events?

To show that all are in unison in remembering what happened, in relation to what the poppy represents.

I guess FIFA had no objection to this tribute?

_60183595_12-wkl2012.jpg

Jan 30, 2008
Wearing a poppy is about remembering all the fallen. Of course it's political.

There's no place at all for anything remotely political to be on a football shirt. FIFA should stick by their guns and the FA should accept it and plug the RBL some other way.
YOU MAKE IT SOUND LIKE THEY WERE RUNNING TO A POLLING STATION ..................SHAME ON YOU:nono:
regards
DR

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What if as an example a Celtic player playing for Scotland objected on IRA grounds. At least this ruling avoids such an occurrence which personally I would rather we had than somebody standing up saying look at me.

Would FIFA object to a black armband with a poppy embossed into it?

Sorry ?

The objection is founded on the basis of support for the IRA ?

It may be that it is more for the historical British involvement in repressive conflicts across Ireland. I get why some Irish folk object to wearing it. It's nothing to do with 'look at me'.

If you played for Boca Juniors and the team wore a symbolism of military heroism would you feel comfortable wearing it ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
To show that all are in unison in remembering what happened, in relation to what the poppy represents.

View attachment 79096

It represents the death of innocent folk in a tragic and avoidable situation. I can't really see what we are comparing here, AR.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

View attachment 79096

That's because FIFA's rule governs international matches, for domestic matches the decisions lie with local FA's.

But isn't that the idea behind buying a poppy, to show unity with the fallen? I was always taught that remembrance was shown through the purchase of the Legion's poppy and that the simple design enabled those both rich and poor to donate what they could afford without the need for anybody to show they were better than others. Death did not discriminate during war, nor should remembrance in peace. Whether you put 10p or £100 in the tin you still got the same poppy. That is the idea of being in unison.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's because FIFA's rule governs international matches, for domestic matches the decisions lie with local FA's.

But isn't that the idea behind buying a poppy, to show unity with the fallen? I was always taught that remembrance was shown through the purchase of the Legion's poppy and that the simple design enabled those both rich and poor to donate what they could afford without the need for anybody to show they were better than others. Death did not discriminate during war, nor should remembrance in peace. Whether you put 10p or £100 in the tin you still got the same poppy. That is the idea of being in unison.

Exactly.

Quite why we are expected to observe an extra minutes silence because we're at a football match has always been something that escapes me as well. I do of course, but then I do on the 11th as well. What gives ?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That's because FIFA's rule governs international matches, for domestic matches the decisions lie with local FA's
Fair point.

But isn't that the idea behind buying a poppy, to show unity with the fallen? I was always taught that remembrance was shown through the purchase of the Legion's poppy and that the simple design enabled those both rich and poor to donate what they could afford without the need for anybody to show they were better than others
True, but you can also wear a poppy without making a donation, I have actually seen this outside my local Waitrose, where people have not made a donation, and have been given a poppy because they have made the effort to stop and chat to the guys from RBF.
Its a personal choice.
I do donate, but do not wear the poppy that gets offered, as I have metal badge one's that I choose to wear.:thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Black armband with poppy. We had exactly the same scenario a few years ago and this was the agreed outcome. Why waste time asking the same question again, haven't these people got better things to do?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
But strangely FIFA permit the playing of national anthems and for national flags to be raised in stadia, both of which are clearly political statements. Double standards to say the least.

The anthems are an expression of playing for pride in your country. They are not political statements.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The anthems are an expression of playing for pride in your country. They are not political statements.

National anthems like national flags are among the purest political symbols.
The political community represents or symbolizes itself through its choice of leaders, its institutions its myths and rituals and through the wide range of pure symbols such as emblems flags and songs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly.

Quite why we are expected to observe an extra minutes silence because we're at a football match has always been something that escapes me as well. I do of course, but then I do on the 11th as well. What gives ?

This. It all gets way too much. My son is in Cubs. He does the parade on Remembrance Sunday and I go with him to the service. The whole family get poppies and observe the silence on the 11th. That is all about respect.

But modern culture isn't happy with that. modern culture insists that it's observed at every sporting event in the country and shoved on shirts and that Sharon bleedin' Osbourne has to wear a poppy the size of Simon Cowell's head on the XFactor every week from late October. That we petition FIFA because we're "special" (clue, they absolutely hate us already). That we have to have poppies on our Facebook profiles and Twitter avis. And, that if we don't, we're unpatriotic, soldier hating b*****ds. Sod that. It's a mark of respect for the fallen, not a who can protest about caring the most competition.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
So will there be no Nike ticks on the kits from now on either? That is a political and commercial message.
I wouldn't mind if FIFA were at least consistant.

Don't be stupid. A commercial symbol denoting the manufacturer of the shirt is permitted under FIFA guidelines. So FIFA are consistent in following their rules.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Football shirts are already adorned with betting adverts, Country/club badges, federation badges, competition badges, anti-racism badges etc etc. To be honest, having a poppy on a football shirt only reduces the poppy's value.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
How isn't it!? It is representative of a capitalist system...which is a political thing.

No it is representative of a company who manufacturer sportswear much like Adidas, Errea, Puma, Admiral, Marathon and many others. Whatever exploitative practices they carry out does not make it a political symbol. A kit manufacturer has been permitted by FIFA to have their logo on an international shirt since at least the 1978 World Cup.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
All if them are political symbols. Without a capitalist democracy they would not exist. It is contradictory from FIFA.
Also, again, if the kit manufacturers changed their logo to a poppy for the day it would not be a problem, would it!

Except they wouldn't change it to a poppy because FIFA wouldn't let them, they're just as strict with the manufacturers.

Put it simply FIFA only allow the kit manufacturers name and National team badge on the front of a football shirt which has been their rule for much of my lifetime. The remembrance poppy has been around for nearlly 100 years yet it is only in the last few years that we have decided to stick it on a football shirt and cry like a four year old when we aren't allowed to break the rules in international competitions.

I guess you must cut all the logos out of any clothes purchased from these evil capitalist swines and just wear items made from the purest yak wool knitted by Peruvian peasants who may have been paid an extra few pence for their troubles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here