Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why doesn't FIFA just shove it.

larus

IMO it's not a political statement. It's patriotic and a sign of respect to those who gave their lives to protect their country, and to me that is a big difference. You may not agree with the politics of war, but that is different to honouring the fallen.

A sensible compromise would be does the wearing of something on the shirt offend the opposition? (Exceptions to this would be the national flag, etc.). If yes, then it's a no-go. If not and both national FA's are Ok with it, then what's the problem.

For the Engalnd-Scotland game, I fail to see what offence there could possibly be caused by paying respects to those who died in service of the United Kingdom, from 2 fiercely competitive, proud nation states. Forget what the poison dwarf (Wee Kranky) says North of the border, there's a lot more that unites our 2 countries than divides it (again IMO).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IMO it's not a political statement. It's patriotic and a sign of respect to those who gave their lives to protect their country, and to me that is a big difference. You may not agree with the politics of war, but that is different to honouring the fallen.

A sensible compromise would be does the wearing of something on the shirt offend the opposition? (Exceptions to this would be the national flag, etc.). If yes, then it's a no-go. If not and both national FA's are Ok with it, then what's the problem.

For the Engalnd-Scotland game, I fail to see what offence there could possibly be caused by paying respects to those who died in service of the United Kingdom, from 2 fiercely competitive, proud nation states. Forget what the poison dwarf (Wee Kranky) says North of the border, there's a lot more that unites our 2 countries than divides it (again IMO).

What if as an example a Celtic player playing for Scotland objected on IRA grounds. At least this ruling avoids such an occurrence which personally I would rather we had than somebody standing up saying look at me.

Would FIFA object to a black armband with a poppy embossed into it?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

FIFA have to be consistent, well seen to be.

That's why we have the booking for the removal of a shirt, it is offensive in some cultures - whilst it is completely fine here.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Bloody Hell! Just another sign the World's gone mad. FIFA flexing their muscles and trying to justify its existence. What can be the common sense reason to deny nations showing respect? Not trying to pass judgment myself, just wondering why they don't just respect the application, as there doesn't appear to be any reason not to do so. :shrug:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
This is totally ridiculous. What would happen if both teams DID wear it. What the **** are FIFA going to do? Kick us both out of the Russia Word Cup that Scotland will never qualify for and most England fans don't want to go to anyway? So what. About time the FA started showing some balls and tell FIFA where to go.

larus

What if as an example a Celtic player playing for Scotland objected on IRA grounds. At least this ruling avoids such an occurrence which personally I would rather we had than somebody standing up saying look at me.

Would FIFA object to a black armband with a poppy embossed into it?

You could at the same for conscientious objectors. However, as I stated, if both national FA's were in approval, then that should be sufficient. If a Celtic player takes offence, then he's objecting against his own FA and for them to deal with.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If it's so important why didn't they have poppies on shirts years ago ? It's just another thing that has been taken over by the look at me brigade. I prefer people that just buy a poppy wear it or not and keep it personal than make all this fuss

Absolutely this.

Whats it got to do with football anyway ? Why do football teams have to lead the way now, with poppys on shirts and holding minutes silences ? Can't we just do it OURSELVES without our football teams being involved ?

I mean christ, Spurs and Leicester held a minutes silence on Saturday for Armistice Day. That's TWO WEEKS before the ruddy day itself. They were still in October. Whats the POINT ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is totally ridiculous. What would happen if both teams DID wear it. What the **** are FIFA going to do? Kick us both out of the Russia Word Cup that Scotland will never qualify for and most England fans don't want to go to anyway? So what. About time the FA started showing some balls and tell FIFA where to go.

whats ridiculous is that there is a debate about it when there is a clear rule and also a clear compromise from before (poppy on the arm band).

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I have no particular strong opinion on this

But let's please remember that this issue is in the news (as far as i can tell) only because the Sun decided to make it a story

I suspect it would otherwise have been discussed quietly behind closed doors in a grown up civilized manner, with all sides agreeing there are arguments on both sides. And then an agreement, would have been reached. And whatever the outcome of that discussion there would have been appropriate recognition at the stadium

But that would not have been a story to sell Murdoch's scummy rag would it?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Huge respect to the RBL for fund-raising and for their incredibly slick PR operation, but ultimately this is just another charity alongside thousands of other worthy causes and organisations like cancer research, AIDS, Oxfam etc. A private charity has no business being on the national football team's shirt, completely unrelated interests.

larus

Huge respect to the RBL for fund-raising and for their incredibly slick PR operation, but ultimately this is just another charity alongside thousands of other worthy causes and organisations like cancer research, AIDS, Oxfam etc. A private charity has no business being on the national football team's shirt, completely unrelated interests.

I wasn't aware we had an annual minutes silence for WWF, NSPCC, RSPCA, Oxfam, Red Cross, etc.

Maybe you could enlighten me when these events are so I can offer my respects to all those dogs abused, cats re-homed and parrots without a perch.

To call the RBL "just another charity' is frankly, F*cking insulting.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

It is not 'just another charity' for me and I suspect millions of other people who have had loved ones in the Armed Forces, some of whom never came home, or if they did were forever changed by the experience in mind or body.

What do mean by 'their incredibly slick PR operation' by the way?

We have a few old dears with Poppy Trays standing in the Mill Square over here in Storrington.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's an emotive subject, understandably, but FIFA do seem to be applying their rule correctly as far as I can tell.

It is what it is.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Nothing has changed from last year, and the year before etc.

I'd love it if the RBL came out and said "We understand the position of FIFA and are delighted to have the poppy on the armband". Save all the bleating from the usual rags every year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here