Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This time last season

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To some extent, form, injuries, suspensions but mostly my confidence (Newcastle now a win vs a draw before yesterday)
I just saw predicted wins against Newcastle and Forest which I think you had as draws before. Seems like cherry picking :)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I just saw predicted wins against Newcastle and Forest which I think you had as draws before. Seems like cherry picking :)

Some and some. I genuinely think we'll be Newcastle now (we looked much more assured yesterday than I expected and I'm assuming Gayle will be out which I see as a big loss for them) As for Forest it was a bit of a contingency but we really should beat them. .

I don't think any of these predictions are wildy ambitious but with a 55% hit rate many will be wrong ofc ... but they do tend to even themselves out ... we'll see

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Some and some. I genuinely think we'll be Newcastle now (we looked much more assured yesterday than I expected and I'm assuming Gayle will be out which I see as a big loss for them) As for Forest it was a bit of a contingency but we really should beat them. . I don't think any of these predictions are wildy ambitious but with a 55% hit rate many will be wrong ofc ... but they do tend to even themselves out ... we'll see

Maybe not wildly ambitious individually but the overall picture looks wrong to me. Six teams with 80+ points looks too many. In the last 6 seasons, the highest points for 6th was 78. And three teams with 95+ points? Nah, that is not going to happen. The problem with game by game prediction is that it does not allow for changes in form, injuries etc - doubt anyone would have predicted Huddersfield's recent run doing this exercise on 1 Jan, for example.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Maybe not wildly ambitious individually but the overall picture looks wrong to me. Six teams with 80+ points looks too many. In the last 6 seasons, the highest points for 6th was 78. And three teams with 95+ points? Nah, that is not going to happen. The problem with game by game prediction is that it does not allow for changes in form, injuries etc - doubt anyone would have predicted Huddersfield's recent run doing this exercise on 1 Jan, for example.

As I said to Trigg's I do adjust as I go along to take account of form, injuries, suspensions etc and I don't disagree that the points may be a bit high but (from experience) the 'upsets' do tend to spread temselves fairly evenly, particulalry at this stage of the season.

You're right about Hudd's and Jan 1 but, inevitabely, the nearer we get to the end the less likely there is error

As you rightly point out in 2014/15 78 points was needed so 80 isn't out of the realms of possibility but knocking 3/4 points off across the board would give a more realistic picture perhaps? In saying that, as games run out there's less opportunity for these 'upsets' to have any material impact

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
So Game 33 for us last season was that thumping of Bristol City away from home.
We remained fourth. Next game up was the 4-0 defeat of Leeds and a pretty good undefeated run-in

So this time last season we're +11 points (no change on last week), + 20 Goal Diff (-1), and we're 1st (2nd) not 4th.

brighton.jpg

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
As I said to Trigg's I do adjust as I go along to take account of form, injuries, suspensions etc and I don't disagree that the points may be a bit high but (from experience) the 'upsets' do tend to spread temselves fairly evenly, particulalry at this stage of the season.

You're right about Hudd's and Jan 1 but, inevitabely, the nearer we get to the end the less likely there is error

As you rightly point out in 2014/15 78 points was needed so 80 isn't out of the realms of possibility but knocking 3/4 points off across the board would give a more realistic picture perhaps? In saying that, as games run out there's less opportunity for these 'upsets' to have any material impact

Yes, 3-4 points off here and there would seem more correct, but equally we might see 3-4 points more for some others - Fulham, Preston perhaps? It is not so much about 'upsets' but a loss of form overall. I am thinking Derby and Villa here; your point about upsets being less material as games run out is surely right, but there is still time with 13 games for at least one team to fall out of contention entirely with a string of poor results that defy current form to be replaced by another that has a positive string of currently unpredictable results.

TBH, I am not entirely convinced of the game by game approach; I dont see how you can build in periods of strong and weak form into this format (Huddersfield currently vs, Huddersfield in Nov/Dec when they lost at home to Wigan FFS, for example). Your methodology inevitably extrapolates from the present, but it doesn't work like that in practice.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes, 3-4 points off here and there would seem more correct, but equally we might see 3-4 points more for some others - Fulham, Preston perhaps? It is not so much about 'upsets' but a loss of form overall. I am thinking Derby and Villa here; your point about upsets being less material as games run out is surely right, but there is still time with 13 games for at least one team to fall out of contention entirely with a string of poor results that defy current form to be replaced by another that has a positive string of currently unpredictable results.

TBH, I am not entirely convinced of the game by game approach; I dont see how you can build in periods of strong and weak form into this format (Huddersfield currently vs, Huddersfield in Nov/Dec when they lost at home to Wigan FFS, for example). Your methodology inevitably extrapolates from the present, but it doesn't work like that in practice.

I get all of that and until the last game of the season there's no way I'd try to defend the methodology as anywhere near a precise science.

Said it before but I see it more as a 'what if' then a 'predictor' ... looking at it that way it works perfectly :)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Slightly late with this update..

champ 1 mar 16.PNG
champ 1 mar 17.PNG

Still a full 8 points better than last year. Keep the faith we can and will do this!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If Huddersfield do as well as Burnley last season 13 games they will get 96 pts. 3 more than Burnley finished with.

If that happens Leeds will have to win 12 successive games and hope that Newcastle and Brighton don't get uncatchable.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?Competition=2

I can't see Newcastle getting less than 95 pts.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Good news
champ 8 mar 16.PNG
The Hull collapse is complete, so we no longer need to consider - well Hull blew it from here last season.
champ 8 mar 17.PNG
Last season we finished with GD+30 with a fantastic run in. This looks a tall ask for Huddersfield.

Here is the latest ELO rating from http://clubelo.com/Brighton
champ_pred 8-3.PNG

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If we come out of the next two games with 6 points then I will make the bold statement to say we will win the league. Newcastles run in is horrendous and the toughest of all three top clubs. However I think Huddersfield have the easier of the three and could go unbeaten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
If we come out of the next two games with 6 points then I will make the bold statement to say we will win the league. Newcastles run in is horrendous and the toughest of all three top clubs. However I think Huddersfield have the easier of the three and could go unbeaten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Their run in is not so bad, home games against Wigan, Burton and Barnsley are 9 points right there. Also away to Birmingham is a guaranteed three points.

Why do people keep comparing to last season? Its irrelevant. Third place has three more points with a game in hand compared to the previous season. That's the only relevance.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Their run in is not so bad, home games against Wigan, Burton and Barnsley are 9 points right there. Also away to Birmingham is a guaranteed three points.

Don't be so sure that they will pick up 9 points, Burton are competitive as the MASSIVE will vouch for after last night :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One game at a time. Anything could happen.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Why do people keep comparing to last season? Its irrelevant. Third place has three more points with a game in hand compared to the previous season. That's the only relevance.

What exactly were you expecting on a thread titled this time last season?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It’s nuts that in 2013 we finished 4th with 75 and Hull got autos with 79, and Cardiff ran away with it with 87 ???

I think we’re going to need at least 94, 2 points a game, and for Huddersfield to draw 3 games. Not a lot to ask really :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here