Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Uber is as capitalist as can be, under cut wages, deregulate, race to the bottom, no such thing as society only your immediate pocket

Quite. And it undermines taxi driving as a profession....this really grates with me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Brilliant service and always use them when I need a cab. Really not sure what people's issues are with them.

As a woman, I wouldn't use them. There were 48 rapes by taxi drivers in London last year. Uber 48, London black cabs 0

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
As a woman, I wouldn't use them. There were 48 rapes by taxi drivers in London last year. Uber 48, London black cabs 0

Not true. There were 48 accusations of rape or sexual assault against men who may or may not have worked for Uber (the Met can't be sure)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Quite. And it undermines taxi driving as a profession....this really grates with me.

You suggest taxi driving is a profession - it might well be BUT my experience of local companies is that they fail to put the word 'professional' in profession. I've lost count over the years how many times I've had to give directions to 414141, 204060 etc cabs to get home. They are meant to do a local test for locations - similar to the London knowledge. Clearly they either don't or they don't bother to remember it. The vehicles themselves are a disgrace. Particularly the ones in East Street and at the station. Boneshaking and uncomfortable. Mrs W suffers from claustrophobia and cleithrophobia which means she is more comfortable in a front seat with the window open than the slightly ajar windows in the back of these boxes on wheels. A very large majority of Brighton cabs remove the front seat ( and generally replace it with left over food and associated wrappings ). A number of times we've refused a cab because of this and moved down the rank and the drivers in front have got all shitty - even after explaining the issue. This is before we approach the rudeness and lack of English.

Every time I've used Uber ( probably 50 times plus since they came to Brighton ) I've had a spotless cab, often a high spec one ( last two times it was a Merc and a BMW ) and never has the front seat been removed for a pile of rubbish. I always know the name of the cabbie BEFORE I get in and I've never had to tell them the directions. Throw in the Uber app that is brilliant - something Streamline only bothered to get developed for their service recently ( maybe they should have spent more time on their technology than fighting the introduction of Uber ) - and you have a top notch PROFESSIONAL service.

The Brighton cabbies and firms on the other hand have spent their time ripping of customers and whining rather than providing a professional service. The same happened with the Tuc Tucs. What they need to realise is they need to improve their service but they don't seem to get that. So consequently, I continue to use Uber.

I assume that you don't use supermarkets ? After all that undermines the profession of shopkeepers.

Strange you say this as all the reports I have found that quote the Met say that the Met don't break down the figures into companies - they just take the profession which is 'Taxi Driver'. Feel free to post a link to independently verified data though.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Did you read the article?

The judge in the rape case, at Chichester Crown Court, stopped the trial because the girl was found to be an unreliable witness and Mr Zayed was cleared with no case to answer.

But you're saying there WERE 48 rapes in London last year, despite there being no convictions yet, but you're happy this guy is OK despite him having admitted to having sex with a 16 year old girl in his cab. You can't have it both ways.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Did you read the article?

The judge in the rape case, at Chichester Crown Court, stopped the trial because the girl was found to be an unreliable witness and Mr Zayed was cleared with no case to answer.

Hence the random quote comment. You've found one single case of a London Uber driver being convicted of rape and used it as evidence that all 48 convictions were of Uber drivers. Yet the Met police say they don't collate that data. I might as well use the recent case of a B&H bus driver sexually assaulting a young girl and then claim all cases of young girls being sexually assaulted by bus drivers means all the assaults were carried out by B&H drivers. There's no data to support my claim as there is no data to support your claim.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You suggest taxi driving is a profession - it might well be BUT my experience of local companies is that they fail to put the word 'professional' in profession. I've lost count over the years how many times I've had to give directions to 414141, 204060 etc cabs to get home. They are meant to do a local test for locations - similar to the London knowledge. Clearly they either don't or they don't bother to remember it. The vehicles themselves are a disgrace. Particularly the ones in East Street and at the station. Boneshaking and uncomfortable. Mrs W suffers from claustrophobia and cleithrophobia which means she is more comfortable in a front seat with the window open than the slightly ajar windows in the back of these boxes on wheels. A very large majority of Brighton cabs remove the front seat ( and generally replace it with left over food and associated wrappings ). A number of times we've refused a cab because of this and moved down the rank and the drivers in front have got all shitty - even after explaining the issue. This is before we approach the rudeness and lack of English.

Every time I've used Uber ( probably 50 times plus since they came to Brighton ) I've had a spotless cab, often a high spec one ( last two times it was a Merc and a BMW ) and never has the front seat been removed for a pile of rubbish. I always know the name of the cabbie BEFORE I get in and I've never had to tell them the directions. Throw in the Uber app that is brilliant - something Streamline only bothered to get developed for their service recently ( maybe they should have spent more time on their technology than fighting the introduction of Uber ) - and you have a top notch PROFESSIONAL service.

The Brighton cabbies and firms on the other hand have spent their time ripping of customers and whining rather than providing a professional service. The same happened with the Tuc Tucs. What they need to realise is they need to improve their service but they don't seem to get that. So consequently, I continue to use Uber.

I assume that you don't use supermarkets ? After all that undermines the profession of shopkeepers.

Strange you say this as all the reports I have found that quote the Met say that the Met don't break down the figures into companies - they just take the profession which is 'Taxi Driver'. Feel free to post a link to independently verified data though.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-jailed-12-years-convicted-taxi-a7837686.html

https://www.licensedtransportuncove...sed-32-rapes-sexual-assault-london-12-months/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/more-30-london-uber-drivers-8003457

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here