Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THIRTEEN foreign languages on the reverse side of a letter from the NHS!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Letter from the NHS today about cancer screening. On the reverse side a paragraph about what to do if English is not your first language. So the NHS which apparently does not have any money can afford to have information in THIRTEEN languages printed on its letters! In my opinion if you live in this country then you need to speak our language. If you don't then find someone to translate for you. Absolutely not the responsibility of the NHS. Wonder how many other countries waste taxpayers' money in this way?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Always started by the same people, always the same theme.

That's 'ہمیشہ وہی لوگ، ہمیشہ اسی موضوع کی طرف سے شروع کیا'. in Urdu.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Don't worry, after we leave the EU, not only will the NHS get £350 million a week, there will be far fewer languages needed.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Letter from the NHS today about cancer screening. On the reverse side a paragraph about what to do if English is not your first language. So the NHS which apparently does not have any money can afford to have information in THIRTEEN languages printed on its letters! In my opinion if you live in this country then you need to speak our language. If you don't then find someone to translate for you. Absolutely not the responsibility of the NHS. Wonder how many other countries waste taxpayers' money in this way?
Ask them to screen your brain while you're there and see if they can find one.

Multi lingual communications save the NHS millions.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Just what this board needs. Another thread full of xenophobic drivel.

:facepalm:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I swear I am travelling backwards in time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great thread [emoji849] What's the incremental cost of a few extra paragraphs on a letter that is going out anyway ? If it means someone who otherwise might have ignored it actually does something that saves their life, I'd say the extra fraction of a penny is probably money well spent.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Though I'm not sure it will save the NHS a lot of money, I do like incentivising people to learn English.

D

Deleted member 22389

My father in law owns a property in France, you want find the offer of any translation services to English when your dealing with official documentation in France, or dealing with people at the local town hall. The French expect you to know the language, what is wrong with that. I think the OP made a reasonable point. Listen if the NHS can save money on things like this, they should do it and if someone can't speak the language how do you expect a health professional to understand what the persons problems are.

Last edited by a moderator:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
My father in law owns a property in France, you want find the offer of any translation services to English when your dealing with official documentation in France, or dealing with people at the local town hall. The French expect you to know the language, what is wrong with that. I think the OP made a reasonable point. Listen if the NHS can save money on things like this, they should do it and if someone can't speak the language how do you expect a health professional to understand what the persons problems are.

I kind of thought that would be the case. You choose to live in our country so you had better know our language. And quite right too. All the lefty hand-wringers in this country (which includes most of those who have commented on this thread) need to wake up to the realities of life.

D

Deleted member 22389

I kind of thought that would be the case. You choose to live in our country so you had better know our language. And quite right too. All the lefty hand-wringers in this country (which includes most of those who have commented on this thread) need to wake up to the realities of life.

It drives me mad.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Sounds like the NHS are dealing with the realities of life.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The reality of life is that if you choose to remove multillingual translations from stuff like this then you will automatically spend MILLIONS more through inefficiencies such as missed/unproductive appointments, a reduced quality of care and crucially a greater dependency on A&E.

Just ****ing think for once.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
The reality of life is that if you choose to remove multillingual translations from stuff like this then you will automatically spend MILLIONS more through inefficiencies such as missed/unproductive appointments, a reduced quality of care and crucially a greater dependency on A&E.

Just ****ing think for once.

How about you fvcking think for once , what the fvck are we doing providing health care from the NHS which is strapped for cash as it is to people who can't be arsed to learn our language , if they can't speak English it's a dot on the cards that they aren't contributing through tax either.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why is there this assumption that this is aimed at people that can't or won't speak English?

Surely it is in the financial interests of the NHS to communicate in people's first language where possible? The cost is relatively small in comparison to the inefficiencies of missed appointments and catching diseases, especially cancer early saves money in the long run.

I'm not surprised at the usual idiots spouting off on here on a point of jingoistic principle. We've just had a referendum where people that voted to be poorer on that basis.

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

It drives me mad.

I can picture you both now. Holiday in Costa del Sol, sitting on a dirty lawnchair outside "'Jim's Cafe'. "Facking lovely full English breakfast, none of this foreign muck. What the f*ck is pie-ay-lar anyway?"

D

Deleted member 22389

I can picture you both now. Holiday in Costa del Sol, sitting on a dirty lawnchair outside "'Jim's Cafe'. "Facking lovely full English breakfast, none of this foreign muck. What the f*ck is pie-ay-lar anyway?"

Actually I think it is terrible when people don't learn the language if they are going to live in another country, because when you learn the language it is so much easier to get things done, and so much easier if you need to tell a medical professional about your problems, just like in this country. We shouldn't be spending money on translation end of.

By the way my mum is Italian, she doesn't expect translations in Italian, and she is the first one to say it is a complete waste of money. My wife also has a degree in Modern Foreign Languages, so your stereotypical image of me is wrong, it's actually quite funny.

There is also nothing wrong with a good old English fry up either and a nice cuppa in the morning when you are abroad, because sometimes a baguette with salami or cheese just doesn't cut in the morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here