Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upgrade A27

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
They'd have to reduce the prices too. £22 for a rush hour return from Brighton to Eastbourne is insane.

Not kidding are you, that's grim. Couple of times recently I had to get back to Derbyshire at short notice, but still a couple of days notice, and it was in the region of £130, horrendous.

Why do we have such a regressive attitude to railways, never fails to annoy me when I hear 'investing in roads' and 'subsidising railways'.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
There's a meeting at Worthing Pavilion tomorrow night.

Worthing really needs a complete bypass. The obvious route would be to widen Long Furlong so traffic traverses to the North of Findon from Angmering way, but once it reaches the A24, where would it go from there? It would be such a vast project that I really can't see it happening.

I would imagine those who have houses along the A27 in Worthing will now be worried about (yet another) round of compulsory purchases to widen the existing road. Given the history of property along the A27 in Worthing, there's always likely to be a risk that it happens again.

Not sure just making it wider through Worthing is the right answer anymore. It has to be a bypass, but where it goes is anybody's guess.

larus

Not kidding are you, that's grim. Couple of times recently I had to get back to Derbyshire at short notice, but still a couple of days notice, and it was in the region of £130, horrendous.

Why do we have such a regressive attitude to railways, never fails to annoy me when I hear 'investing in roads' and 'subsidising railways'.

How much tax is raised from motorists though? Absolutely loads. Road Tax, Excise Duty (plus VAT), and then Insurance Premium Tax. The excludes the VAT on new cars, plus the VAT for the running costs of the cars (all which wouldn't be raised if all drivers used public transport).. So, with respect, drivers do pay for the roads and train fares don't cover the costs of the rail network.

True. A dual carriageway around it though....

The A27 between Polegate and Lewes is only congested during the peak "drive to and from work" times. When the road is busy it's because the locals are cluttering it up with local journeys. By-passing the current road will bring very little relief.

Long-distance traffic at busy times is practically non-existent.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Am I right in thinking East Sussex has the least amount of dual carriageway in the country?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Am I right in thinking East Sussex has the least amount of dual carriageway in the country?
Hardly astonishing, I'm surprised such a backwater has enough Puffing Devils to warrant any form of tarmac.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The A27 between Polegate and Lewes is only congested during the peak "drive to and from work" times. When the road is busy it's because the locals are cluttering it up with local journeys. By-passing the current road will bring very little relief.

Long-distance traffic at busy times is practically non-existent.

All roads are busier during peak times (that's why they call them "peak times"). And how DARE the locals clutter up the roads doing something so plebian as driving to work ?

Do you really think that a dual carriageway from the Southerham junction to Cophall junction wouldn't improve thousands of peoples' lives and reduce pollution ?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It's the most beautiful stretch of railway line (The Downs are sheep, the Weald is corn) with such a great rail service to boot, there's no need for an A27 upgrade between Polegate and Lewes......

Tell that to the people stuck in long, slow queues or to those that harvested on that unsafe stretch of road

It's upgrade will also open up the roadblocks and make it a more viable place for business to situate themselves as it will become easier to transport their goods and raw materials, creating job opportunities in the area.

An upgrade is long overdue and very necessary

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
These schemes seem to take SO long, and cause SO much utter carnage during the construction, that I think I'd settle for just sticking with the shit roads we have.

Take the top of the M3. That part of the motorway was always shit in the mornings - you could bank on being stuck for 20 minutes every day. So, in 2012 they decreed they were going to turn it into a SMART motorway. Out came the cones, and reduced speed limits. 15 MILES of them, in both directions, causing delays, at all times. They are still there, for at least another year.

I'd have just stuck with the daily 20 minute hold up, had I known that the choice was FIVE YEARS of disruption. It had better be worth it.

I have to deal with that for every home game I go to - such a pain in the arse. Especially when there are massive stretches of the 15 miles that have nothing going on in them

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What about worthing ? Lyons Farm has queues all day long now. I remember when it was only at rush hours.

Another area in desperate need of an urgent upgrade, it's a shame to locals were too short sighted when they opposed the original road in the belief that heavy traffic only results from good roads and without it, it would stay a quiet road with little traffic on that stretch

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Announced today Public consultation for upgrades to the A27 East of Lewes to Polgate that help fans get to the games Ten minutes earlier.

Wouldn't believe a word of it. Both Labour and Tories have promised upgrades on this road for decades, goes to consultation, then commitee, then gets dropped ad infinitum etc etc.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hardly astonishing, I'm surprised such a backwater has enough Puffing Devils to warrant any form of tarmac.
You sir, are a @ss of the highest order. East Sussex is where Kipling chose to reside and is also where Brighton and Hove is. So there! You west Sussex lot are practically from Portsmouth.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You sir, are a @ss of the highest order. East Sussex is where Kipling chose to reside and is also where Brighton and Hove is. So there! You west Sussex lot are practically from Portsmouth.
You take that back, you scoundrel, bounder and cad.

Hampshire's Portsmouth is the small price we have to pay for being perfect.

How do you explain East Sussex's Eastbourne?

Yoda

English & European

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
There's a meeting at Worthing Pavilion tomorrow night.

Worthing really needs a complete bypass. The obvious route would be to widen Long Furlong so traffic traverses to the North of Findon from Angmering way, but once it reaches the A24, where would it go from there? It would be such a vast project that I really can't see it happening.

I would imagine those who have houses along the A27 in Worthing will now be worried about (yet another) round of compulsory purchases to widen the existing road. Given the history of property along the A27 in Worthing, there's always likely to be a risk that it happens again.

That doesn't take in the issues around Arundel as well.

Surely the best route would be an upgrade loosely following A29 from Fontwell to top of Bury Hill, B2138/A283 to the Shoreham by pass

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Tell that to the people stuck in long, slow queues or to those that harvested on that unsafe stretch of road

It's upgrade will also open up the roadblocks and make it a more viable place for business to situate themselves as it will become easier to transport their goods and raw materials, creating job opportunities in the area.

An upgrade is long overdue and very necessary

I was being sarcastic.

I agree with everything you say. That stretch of road is miserable beyond belief.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here