Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Saturday's game potentially season defining?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This is a big, big win if we do it, potentially putting ourselves 3 points clear of 3rd if Huddersfield were to lose at Fulham as well. Only time will tell if was season defining or not.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's a really big game. I strongly suspect winning the double header against Norwich will be more beneficial than any other to our chances of promotion this year.

That said, looking at the table at the moment, I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw.

UTA

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We've got the cushioning of a point, which is good. We should just go for it 100%:rant:

I agree.

I actually think Norwich will wilt if we go at them from the first kick. A goal just before half-time and one just after would do it I reckon. Utterly deflating.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I see it more as a marker/statement of intent akin to an unfancied boxer getting a head shot in early.

Last season we were exceptional at dispatching lesser teams with ease - more so post January and the additions of Jiri and Knockaert - and then mainly not losing to the competitors - Burnley (H&A), Boro (A), Sheff Wed (H&A), Derby (H&A) and Hull (H&A). Ultimately this cost us promotion so improving our record against these teams is vital to exceeding last years performance.

I looked back at certain games against higher positioned teams last season to try and see what the difference was, not in personnel terms but in the approach/tactics and mentality of our performances. In the second half of the season I felt CH threw a little more caution to the wind, perhaps freed by the addition of Knockaert who always seemed capable of delivering the incisive pass or finish but that pre-January we tended to keep things incredibly tight and perhaps stifle the opposition more than express our own ability.

How CH approaches Saturday is as key as any game in his tenure to date for me. Playing our natural 4-4-2 with the Baldock/Murray combo and pace on the wings - I personally would love to see a Murphy/Knockaert combo with March/Skalak on the bench - will give me confidence that he believes this squad this season are better than last year. Any retrenchment into maybe switching one of the front two and going with Skalak/Knockaert on the wings would signify a certain fear of losing this game.

It's a shame Kayal isn't fit as this is his type of game, being busy, spoiling, frustrating and releasing others into the fray but I am much more relaxed about seeing Sidwell on the team sheet now than I was last year. Match fitness counts for so much at his age and perhaps his experience, knowing to limit his game to key contributions and let others do the lung busting work might work well in this game, especially if it's Stephens alongside him.

We have to play positively and if we do so then I firmly believe we can get the rewards we deserve.

UTA.:bhasign:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
We need to be taking points off any of the teams in the top six this season, as this will definitely help the points tally, and give us something that we defintely lacked last season.
At least we've beaten one side in the top six this season (Huddersfield) so far. Beating Norwich would be a great result in the context of the whole season :) UTA!!

And the biggest club in the world Sheff WEDS

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
For me as long as we do not get beat ,it will be a result . Come the end of the season, getting a win at Sheffield could be more season defining

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the answer is yes...it will define how we match up against Norwich at our own ground and will define whether our players can lift for the occasion and get the win , it will define whether the crowd can make The Amex a cauldron of noise and become a 12th man , it will define whether CH has the tactics to take out such a game ...i honestly believe when we play to our best we can wipe the floor with anyone in this league...including the geordies.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
the answer is yes...it will define how we match up against Norwich at our own ground and will define whether our players can lift for the occasion and get the win , it will define whether the crowd can make The Amex a cauldron of noise and become a 12th man , it will define whether CH has the tactics to take out such a game ...i honestly believe when we play to our best we can wipe the floor with anyone in this league...including the geordies.

Inclined to agree, a win would be a huge pyscological boost for either team. Norwich have a strong attack we have a solid defence, should be an interesting test

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whilst I know others disagree, our record against the other top teams last year was not good enough. Only 1 defeat, but too many draws.

So on the basis Norwich will be top 6, a massive game.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
For me yes it's vital to get a good result. I think these two sides will finish in the top four so doing better in the head-to-heads counts.
Can't help thinking that if we had just scored one goal at home to Boro in December (made it 1-3 instead of 0-3) we would have gone up on goals scored! One bloody goal! They all count.

Last edited:

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
We lose this game and it's all over. Season ticket in bin and just wait for next year. Love these type of threads. Which I was still young and excitable!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Whilst I know others disagree, our record against the other top teams last year was not good enough. Only 1 defeat, but too many draws.

Why does nobody ever say it was because of our record against the poorer teams. If we'd avoided defeat against Rotherham away we'd have been promoted. Thats all it would have needed. So why not them. ?
Its such fine margins that to say it was "draws", the draws in the big games when it could have been just two more goals in any game at any point, one less leg stuck out by Connor Goldson, one fewer red card, one less left back injury, one less rubbish referee so focusing on a single game really doesn't really make sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here