Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Uber Fan poll

Di you see Albion play at the Priestfield?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 2719

Yep it was epic, i miss the Priestfield where men were men and boys were still wetting their pants for their soft padding seats to come.

Men never shaved their legs back then either and we all drank shorts by the trebles none of these pussy craft beer drinkers about.

Oh what a couple of decades has done to us all. :safeway:

Jeff Minton proper Albion hero.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yes, once. I paid 2 quid to get in. It finished 4-4, so I'd say that's quite good value for money.

Colchester, Boxing Day 1997! Mark Halsey was the ref!

http://www.coludata.co.uk/item.php?...&order=asc&fsea=all&frt=all&offset=34&it=2827

My first seasons as a supporter were at the Priestfield, travelling on the Costa Express. Liz herself fixed it for me to be a ballboy once or twice which was emotional, including the Boxing Day carnage against Colchester when I handed the ball to a young Kerry Mayo. What a moment in a young boy's life.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep it was epic, i miss the Priestfield where men were men and boys were still wetting their pants for their soft padding seats to come.

Men never shaved their legs back then either and we all drank shorts by the trebles none of these pussy craft beer drinkers about.

Oh what a couple of decades has done to us all. :safeway:

Jeff Minton proper Albion hero.

Some truth in that, Albion heroes also include OGH but Rod Thomas was probably my favourite. THAT "save" he got sent off for was brilliant too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Overseas the whole time missed this era completely

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
The odds are that most fans who went to Priestfield probably either saw Brighton in the FA Cup Final, the old Division 1 or the 91 Play Off Final. They probably also saw us get promoted in '02 and again at Cardiff in '04 so they at least saw a bit of glory. @hans kraay fan club [MENTION=11670]Hove Seagull[/MENTION] and I started taking our kids along to watch the Albion just after we got relegated under McGhee and so for the first 5 or 6 years of them supporting the Albion was sitting in the Family Stand at Withdean watching terrible football week in and week out and having to put up with the teasing from their Premier League supporting friends at school boasting all the time.

I reckon any child that went more than a few times to see us at Withdean and called themselves a Brighton fan during that time has earned the right to call themselves an Uber fan.

My first three seasons watching the Albion with my Dad as a 6, 7 and 8 year old went Goldstone, Priestfield, Priestfield. I think that would probably count as psychological abuse nowadays.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Nightmare train journey so didn't go often, but did manage a few games also went as an away fan to watch the mighty (lanky) spider Mellor score the only goal of a very drab game.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Does Gillingham v Brighton in 1977 count? I remember it snowed on the way home but we won 1-0 :ascarf:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes and I even think I went to a pre season friendly at pissfield v Palace....

I could have that wrong though, I'm sure I remember them at the far open end.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Yep, six of us had season tickets and went to majority of games.

We just had to do it to keep the club alive.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes. But I live in London, so it's the same distance as travelling to Brighton. I'd already been following the team from 50 miles away for ten years or more.

I'm not quite why going to Priestfield would make anyone an 'uber fan', anyway.. Not like that guy in the programme the other week who hadn't missed a game home or away since the mid-90s. Or how about 'The Doc', who (so I was told) didn't miss a home or away game between going to see them play at Halifax in 1974 and our move to the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here