Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heathrow expansion

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whatever happened to the Northern Powerhouse?

Won't HS2 + Third Heathrow runway just accentuate the national divide between North and South?

We are particularly sh1t when it comes to joined-up, long-term thinking. If immigration IS restricted to the tens of thousands then I can see a number of towns in parts of the UK becoming ghost towns as employment opportunities in the South-East suck in people and money.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
(Ex-RAF) Manston Airport in Kent would have been an imaginative alternative. Very long runway, loads of undeveloped space, huge number of potential new and local jobs. Might also have seen off the chancers who want to develop the airport for non-airport use and a quick buck.

so if you are travelling from SIngapore to New York how do you get from Marston to New York off your flight from singapore to erm marston?

London is a hub more than a destination, this is so basic with regard to this and people are coming out with stuff like 'oh gatwicks much nicer as the queue for garfunkels is much shorter'. This is vital for the country's economy but its not based around point to point arrivals and departures to some point in the south east as people seem to think.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
so if you are travelling from SIngapore to New York how do you get from Marston to New York off your flight from singapore to erm marston?

London is a hub more than a destination, this is so basic with regard to this and people are coming out with stuff like 'oh gatwicks much nicer as the queue for garfunkels is much shorter'. This is vital for the country's economy but its not based around point to point arrivals and departures to some point in the south east as people seem to think.

Yeah, you're quite right, let's just stick with an airport from the 1950's :rolleyes:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Gatwick could still build a second runway which was surported by WSCC however Heathrow has a better transport infrastructure which now includes crossrail.

WSCC versus the various rulers of the UAE and Qatar for the battle to be a global transport hub. I know who I would back. Good lord we are doomed if we think they should even be at the table on this

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The M23 and south of London sections of the M25, already rammed and slow, would've become hellish with a doubled Gatwick Airport. It didn't make sense to expand an airport in Sussex, where most of its UK passengers were going to have to travel far and wide from across all of southern and eastern England to get to this part of the world. In overall terms, far more road miles generated.

perhaps then we should address how the M25 is used as it currently is used massively for short journeys in Surrey rather than its purpose to bypass london from other major arteries

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm amazed (even in London) about the ignorance of how easy Gatwick is to get to. I wouldn't go anyway near Heathrow unless I had to.

It's also incredible the amount of people who still get on the Gatwick Express. I knew someone who for years would routinely go from Chiswick, f### about on the underground to get to Victoria then get on the "fast" train.

It took me to point out that a fast train from Richmond to Clapham Junction then down was quicker.

Doesn't that stop at all the stops ? Nah - just East Croydon.

Living where I do (and that applies to a lot of Londoners) - it's quicker to Gatwick. Clapham Junction is a dump but it gives you loads of options to other parts of London with er.. lifts to every platform.

Or take your suitcase onto the underground.

Nut jobs.

upgrading londons capacity is not aimed at the convenience of residents of SE England - its really not that relevant

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yeah, you're quite right, let's just stick with an airport from the 1950's :rolleyes:

be more than happy with a Heathrow 2 - but it has to be a bigger better heathrow and let oneworld have LHR. But would never get signed off as thats on a scale only the Arabs and Asia would conceive of. But this gatwick nonsense and the lack of awareness on why this is being discussed, by the British public, is terrifying.

Jul 7, 2003
Won't HS2 + Third Heathrow runway just accentuate the national divide between North and South?

We are particularly sh1t when it comes to joined-up, long-term thinking.

Maybe someone should have thought of using HS2 to link Heathrow to the North of England.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
upgrading londons capacity is not aimed at the convenience of residents of SE England - its really not that relevant
Which my post says absolutely nothing about, so please direct your quotathon somwhere else.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This. The big picture.

The holiday arrangements of those living in Kent, Sussex, east Surrey, and south London, are small-fry in comparison to the needs of the rest of the population, and that of business leaders who've specifically championed Heathrow.

Separately, the London to Gatwick/Brighton train line is creaking at the seams. Due to the restrictive Clapham Junction and the route being boxed in by 10,000's homes, there is no hope for a serious upgrade. The Victorian infrastructure does NOT have the capacity to take 10,000's extra passengers each day,

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Boris. What a two faced snivelling little shit. Who would have known?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here