Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JD Wetherspoon.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so looking at the positive of Wetherspoons, other than the value for money food (it aint gourmet, but theres worse pub fare about), they stock a range of ales, from abroad and local. the Goodmans Fields in Tower is a particularly good example, half dozen ales on pretty much always different month to month and quite a number from obscure new London breweries. most also have Erdinger on tap. hardly a race to bottom, its raising standards.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I don't know how true this is but I was told that the name Wetherspoon was the name of a teacher of his at school who told him he would amount to nothing...so he names all his pubs after him.. if true I personally think that is brilliant pay back.... For those of us a certain age we can remember Yates wine bars... pubs where you wiped your feet on the way out .

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Just pointing out that just because you head up a big business empire does not mean that you cannot make mistakes. As for being superior? He was a fervant Brexitier.

Very rare do you find a successful entrepreneur who hasn't made a mistake or bad decision, it comes with the territory of risk / reward.

That, and being an obnoxious oaf.

You will also find that being an "obnoxious oaf" is often a prerequisite for a successful entrepreneur - see Alan Sugar, Richard Branson, etc.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The 'spoons in the Marina is excellent. Always try to convince my son to get lunch there and not McDonald's if we are down that way. North Street is ok, west street is like an airport lounge and George St is awful, but it's horses for courses.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
People who are stuffy anout Weatherspoons are missing the point. Cheap 'fills a hole' grub and reasonably priced, good selection of ale.

Not somewhere I find myself a lot but extremely good at what they do.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The basic model of JDW is the same in every town so if in a town you are not familar with you know what you will get, obviously due to many factors some will not be as good as others and some will be better.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Did someone say £30 for a meal for two? Doesn't actually seem that cheap. Would rather go to Chinatown or get a reasonable Italian somewhere. £30? For what? A manky curry and two pints of Fosters?

Worst one I have been into was the one in Kingston-upon-Thames.
Depressing grief holes.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
JDW are good at what they do - which is being a bog average pub chain which usually guarantees a reasonably quality (can't speak for Tunbridge Wells as never been there, and the one in Runcorn was rumoured to be a bit dubious locally). There are far better and far worse pubs out there.

The owner is a very successful businessman, but is also still a twot.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Only thing wrong with Wetherspoons is the idiots blocking the bar looking for craft beers and lobster rolls.They get drunk on the cheap,and then pretend they've been somewhere more up-market,the knobheads!:lolol:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
'Spoons is ok... If this was a gourmet food discussion group then I might expect these anti comments , but a football supporters forum? ... Do me a favour !
You can eat at an expensive 5 star if you want but I am happy with fish & chips at 'spoons on a Friday night with lots of change left in my pocket .

I had a breakfast at McD's today as well

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Snobbery of the highest order

It's not really is it. It's just preference. Brighton is an expensive town therefore Wetherspoons presents an attractive, cheaper alternative. Fair enough. I live outside of towns and the price of beer and food in pubs comes down quite considerably outside of London/Brighton/destination country pubs and so I don't have any need to seek out purposefully cheap pubs, most pubs around my area are lovely, friendly, great gardens and views and serve good beer at, on average, about a third less than the price in town. So I can avoid mass marketed, poorly run chain pubs with no atmosphere serving re-heated pies and frozen burgers and still enjoy well priced beer and food.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
The basic model of JDW is the same in every town so if in a town you are not familar with you know what you will get, obviously due to many factors some will not be as good as others and some will be better.

Agree with this. Safe option in some towns although the What Pub app now helps in that regard.Never had a breakfast in there until I went to the one at Beaconsfield Services on M40 a couple of months ago and was presently surprised.

Only downside from me is I much prefer the atmosphere in a 'local'; and 'spoons opening hours does mean they tend to attract the 10 a.m. turps-nudgers. But I can live with that.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I had a really MASSIVE mixed grill with added banger, fried egg and onion rings last Tuesday plus a pint of wallop. Total cost £8.80.

Sadly a lot of you won't go there, it's the Spoons in South Croydon.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I'd like to add I don't have a particular issue with the pubs themselves, just their owner.

I've never seen him in my local Wetherspoons yet, if he is in there one day, seving behind the bar, might have a different opinion of him

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here