Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we playing for 2nd place?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Once the PL managerial merry-go-round starts up I can see Benitez on plenty of shopping lists. If he walks out then who knows what will happen.

There are very few clubs with Newcastle's potential, it would take one of the top four or five in the Premier League to have any chance of tempting him away IMO. Not going to happen, the fat Spanish waiter is staying at Newcastle for the season.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I would be the happiest man alive if we finish 2nd.
We are not fighting against 1 team we have another 32 fights this season

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I think if you took this thread in to our dressing room you would be sternly told we are playing to finish 1st. We have a lot of characters and some great strength in depth ourselves.
Newcastles squad and manager is the most impressive I've think I've seen in the 2nd tier and for that reason they should win it and win it by a mile. Not many teams in general can pop out 90/100 million pounds worth of talent and still have 30 million in the bench. They will have a wobble no doubt about it, I just hope we are in a position to put them under pressure as there is a lot of expectation of them.
Either way I'm just happy with how we are doing. Keep going like we are we will be looking at getting promoted which is the dream.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Like each team, we're going to go out and try to win every game - we'll not always be successful, but then neither will Newcastle, Norwich, Huddersfield, Massive etc - there's twists and turns everywhere but i'd hope we're still in touching distance come May.

The Jan window will be massive for many teams - not just incomings but outgoings.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We can compete with them but think it's fair to say they are the favourites.

Expect that being said, if either club is going to have a complete meltdown, it's less likely to be us.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Way too early to say who'll win the league. Yes, Newcastle are good. But we've lost less games and conceded less goals. They aren't world class. As long as we keep winning, the championship is attainable.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
If we don't concede that late goal against Preston we're only a point behind them. Alternatively if they don't get those two late goal against Norwich then Norwich are top are we're only two points behind them.

It's gonna be about incredibly fine margins, and while Newcastle are rightly favourites, each of the top four have the potential to do it right now.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Newcastle are a different class in this division. Are we playing for 2nd or are they not infallible?
No, I think we are clearly playing for a play off place. I foresee CH making some drastic changes for the visit of Norwich in a bid to grab that 3rd place. Newcastle are completely infallible and I think they will finish the season uneaten.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Champions come first. Why would you aim anywhere else?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I think some people have completely misconstrued my op. I am not suggesting we should be aiming for/targeting 2nd. That would be patently ridiculous and anyone who thought I meant that must seriously lack intelligence! I was just asking the question are we competing with Norwich/Hudds etc for 2nd or do people believe both automatic places are still up for grabs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here