Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Longest half hour in the Albion's history

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Never seen this before - 2nd most important goal in our history!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was at my in laws watching the goal updates on Ceefax, and counting the minutes down to the final whistle. My father in law was watching with me as he knew how much it meant to me.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I remember sitting in the stand (I was up by the halfway line) at half time feeling utterly bereft. Everyone around me was subdued and it felt like it lasted hours. Once we'd equalised, I don't think we stopped singing and bouncing up and down. Totally exhausted by the end. On our way back to Worthing, we stopped (somewhere) for a beer and food and people here and there who saw our Albion shirts were saying well done and clapping us on the back. But my god, we were woeful then. How times change :)

I was up in the seats as well. In fact in one of the pictures in the book "Build a Bonfire" I can spot me and my mates. All I remember at the end is sitting back in my seat in utter exhaustion with "something in my eye" :lolol: :cry:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That game was tense tense tense. I've never celebrated a goal as much as I did Reinelt's that day(although Storer's the week before was pretty close). The last 30 minutes seemed to go slower than the preceding two years of disaster and anarchy.

Did anyone go to the cup game the following season? There was a lot less in the stand than there were a few months previously. Probably a good thing we lost too.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
What If?
Had we gone down it was expected that the club would have closed. Who was around locally who might have formed a new club, a Brighton City FC?
With nowhere to play would they have built a new stadium on Waterhall?
And, like Wimbledon, how far back up the league would we have got?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just used the time machine and found this out

Carlisle
Notts County

and

Grimsby

all got there for 1 season.

Ah yes, I meant since. If we are talking previous visits you can add Northampton Town.

What If?
Had we gone down it was expected that the club would have closed. Who was around locally who might have formed a new club, a Brighton City FC?
With nowhere to play would they have built a new stadium on Waterhall?
And, like Wimbledon, how far back up the league would we have got?

Part of me was hoping for this,would have been a fantastic journey:moo:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I remember sitting in the stand (I was up by the halfway line) at half time feeling utterly bereft. Everyone around me was subdued and it felt like it lasted hours. Once we'd equalised, I don't think we stopped singing and bouncing up and down. Totally exhausted by the end. On our way back to Worthing, we stopped (somewhere) for a beer and food and people here and there who saw our Albion shirts were saying well done and clapping us on the back. But my god, we were woeful then. How times change :)

Almost the same, but on the terrace. I have never experienced such a change in mood within an hour. At half time it was looking as if out of the league and possibly no future. It felt like a loved one had just passed away. On the final whistle sheer joy, with tears of happiness. After leaving the ground I recall passing a few Hereford fans who were sitting on the ground just distraught and looking and feeling how I did at half time.

Fortunately we had the joy at the end of the game. I was walking on cloud 9 for the next week

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

19 minutes of the greatest ever game.

Truly appalling football, bobbly pitch, crunching tackles, some great comments from Tony Millard "Give it to Minton for Christ's sake".

it was like watching 22 Mr Magoos chase a balloon for 90 minutes. But without doubt truly truly amazing.

I remember Maskell one on one, their chance in injury time when Williams shot tamely at Ormerod, but had forgotten many of the other near misses.

I was there but never want to go through anything like that ever again. It wasn't the greatest game ( The Observer described it as the worst game of football ever) but by far the most important in the club's history. So whilst I remember, theres no need to watch again. I'm much happier now watching Mr Knockaert and his box of dazzling tricks.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
You get a lot of disappointments in football, but every now and again a huge one goes your way and you're lucky enough to be there. A never to be forgotten day, though the last 20 was horrific to watch.

These days that sort of winner-takes-all game even in League Two might well be shown live on Sky, would have made gripping viewing even for neutrals.

As I recall Sky wanted to move it to the Sunday to show it, but we refused.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Next year it will be 20 years since that day - nearly 1000 games ago. But it still seems like yesterday. The memory is not so much of the football but the feeling, the emotion at the time. After the game I did not rejoice too much, I was just numb. Mind you, some of the scenes outside the ground were even like 20 years before that day!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Must have been the longest half hour in Kerry Mayo's LIFE...

There's a strange stat where Kerry Mayo scored three own goals in his career. The Albion didn't lose any of those three games.

I know the last one was at Bramhall Lane when McCammon scored, but can't remember the middle one.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
''Twas the mighty Millard and Gerry Ryan.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

No I mean it's faulty and inaudible...? Could just be my phone and that vid...

Seagullroyal

Dec 31, 2014
We forget how easy it is nowadays to follow football matches if you aren't there, with smart phones, etc, finding out the instant anything happens.
Back in those days, everything was different.
I was up in Lincolnshire for a family do that weekend.
To take my mind off it, I decided to go and watch Boston United and listen to radio five for updates. Sat in the stand, the first problem was that there was a rugby league cup final being commentated on, which cut down the amount of football reports, and when they did, it was the higher divisions.
However, when they reported the equaliser, I jumped up and shouted 'YES!'
I did get a few funny looks, as nothing had happened in the game I was at!!:lolol:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I remember sitting on the terrace behind the goal smoking a fag and feeling sick at half time. I don't think I will ever feel as stressed again at a football match. I cant even bare to watch those highlights now. When you look at that and what we have been through it really is remarkable story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here