Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Witney By-Election.... a verdict on Cameron or May ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It is usual for governments to struggle during a midterm by election

Midterm? She's been PM for little more than 100 days,

Having said that, I don't think this result will cause palpitations as it was such a safe seat, there was always the danger of a protest vote.

Richmond could be a much interesting by-election

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Midterm? She's been PM for little more than 100 days,

Having said that, I don't think this result will cause palpitations as it was such a safe seat, there was always the danger of a protest vote.

Richmond could be a much interesting by-election

It is midterm for the government but not Theresa May.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not difficult to table a motion, but I couldn't see Labour support it.

i agree, though that puts them in a rather awkward position and will be accused to running scared. if they are ready to fight a GE as they stated in the last conference, they should support it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i agree, though that puts them in a rather awkward position and will be accused to running scared. if they are ready to fight a GE as they stated in the last conference, they should support it.

Not really. They could argue that they would be happy to support a motion of no confidence in the government but could, very plausibly, say they see no reason to call for changes under FTPA. They could use the excuse that El Pres outlined - there's plenty to discuss right now.

Being ready to fight a GE and wanting one are two different things

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No need to go on and on in this thread, it's obvious.
Cameron was a dreadfully weak PM and totally self centred and selfish, acted like a spoilt boy when he lost and then ran away.
He also thought he was too good to be a backbencher so resigned and let down his own constituents.
A vile man and a coward, and his constituency told him so, good for them.
If he snuffed it tomorrow I could not care less.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Not really. They could argue that they would be happy to support a motion of no confidence in the government but could, very plausibly, say they see no reason to call for changes under FTPA. They could use the excuse that El Pres outlined - there's plenty to discuss right now.

Being ready to fight a GE and wanting one are two different things

If, as I suggested, there is an impasse over Brexit - with a large number of remoaner MPs refusing to agree with legislation then May would have a legitimate reason to want to hold a GE and clear the blockage. If repeal of the FTEA was blocked by a large number of MPs and Corbyn refused to support the bill then this will go down incredibly badly with those that voted 'leave'. If anyone thinks that the people would by then have realised the error of their ways in voting to leave and will accept their elected representatives denying them their will then there will be a heavy price to pay when they get their chance again. It wouldn't surprise if UKIP became the second largest party after the Tories.

D

Deleted member 22389

Labour bang on about the NHS, Tony Blair was saying exactly the same shit before he came to power and look what happened after that. Labour wrecked anything good that we had left in this country in my opinion.
I suppose if you like open borders and then moan about the numbers of cars on our roads and the impact that has on our environment then Labour is the party you should vote for. That is all Labour are good at really.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
She would need to repeal the fixed term parliament act for that to be the case, which needs a 2/3 majority to become statute.

Can't see Labour voting for it, or the SNP, so it is unlikely.

Surely the last thing that's needed during Brexit negotiations is the distraction of a 4 month election campaign?

I wonder about the potential fallout should the court cases re: forcing parliament to vote on triggering article 50 declare that it must pass parliament. If May finds herself unable to trigger Art 50 due to the court cases and the risk that even the current parliament would vote against despite being a Tory majority, that could lead to something interesting happening. Could we see an early GE fought as a proxy-referendum? Could May try to set up a situation where she feels she can push through a "no confidence" motion against her own party but come out of it smelling of roses because it was the "right thing to do"?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
She would need to repeal the fixed term parliament act for that to be the case, which needs a 2/3 majority to become statute.

Can't see Labour voting for it, or the SNP, so it is unlikely.

Surely the last thing that's needed during Brexit negotiations is the distraction of a 4 month election campaign? The government is failing at present with fudged decisions on new runway for London, paying over the odds for Hinckley and washing its hands on Southern Rail. It needs to focus.

Yep I was aware the fixed term parliament act would need repealing or triggering re two thirds support or no confidence vote. Apparently repealing or amending it would be the simplest option and only require a parliamentary majority. I agree with you though a general election would be a big distraction and be seen as very opportunistic .. more in the interests of the Tories than the country. Shirley not ....

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
What was Silky David Cameron's majority when he first stood in Witney?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What was Silky David Cameron's majority when he first stood in Witney?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

General Election 2001: Witney

Conservative David Cameron 22,153 45.0 +2.0
Labour Michael Bartlet 14,180 28.8 -1.8
Liberal Democrat Gareth Epps 10,000 20.3 +0.5
Green Mark Stevenson 1,100 2.2 +1.1
Independent Barry Beadle 1,003 2.0 N/A
UKIP Kenneth Dukes 767 1.6 +0.2
Majority 7,973 16.2 +3.8
Turnout 49,203 65.9 -10.8
Conservative hold Swing +1.9

synavm

May 2, 2013
I think it was an interesting result. From the perspective of the Lib Dems, they absolutely threw everything they had at this seat, and I feel got a very good result. Interestingly, if there was some sort of alliance between Lab/Lib/Greens, we may very well have seen the Tories lose this very safe seat. Shared resources and a more strategic way of thinking could work wonders in seats that you'd think we're unlosable for the Tories.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I think that for many people their Brexit position is more deeply felt than their traditional party allegiance. In a constituency like this which took a pro-remain position it is bound to harm a Tory party moving towards a hard Brexit position. Had it been a traditional Labour seat which took a leave position it would have hit Labour badly. We are only beginning to understand the long-term impact on the divisions over Brexit on party politics but I think it will be substantial. I can't see any of the major parties wanting to risk a GE at this stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here