Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FREE cavity wall insulation

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Recently had a few companies knocking the door offering free cavity wall insulation, they say its free under a Govt ECO grant.
They also told me that there is no qualification criteria, are they telling the truth? is there such a thing as free insulation?

Any ideas..

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Recently had a few companies knocking the door offering free cavity wall insulation, they say its free under a Govt ECO grant.
They also told me that there is no qualification criteria, are they telling the truth? is there such a thing as free insulation?

Any ideas..

Yeah had mine done years ago. These companies get grants from the government and have to spend it within a timescale set by the them. We never paid a penny

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
recently had a few companies knocking the door offering free cavity wall insulation, they say its free under a govt eco grant.
They also told me that there is no qualification criteria, are they telling the truth? Is there such a thing as free insulation?

Any ideas..
dont do it

Why should an insulated wall cause damp? do you live in a house with NO insulation?

Don't know the technicalities, but air bricks are there for a reason.

Since I had mine done 5 years ago I have damp and mould in every wardrobe, ruined my best suits and the wife's wedding dress.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Why should an insulated wall cause damp? do you live in a house with NO insulation?

I think some of the earlier insulation used to soak up water which in turn soaked through to the internal walls because it was wool or similar based. Been told by someone it's like little plastic balls now which allow the water to drain off. Would be worth asking the firm's touting for the work

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I used to work for a project management company doing home insulation schemes. The whole "damp" thing is based on hearsay and the rare case where it's been badly done, and that's quite hard to do for such a simple job. It's all part of the Government's carbon emissions target. Check out the small print but it should be worth it.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
I used to work for a project management company doing home insulation schemes. The whole "damp" thing is based on hearsay and the rare case where it's been badly done, and that's quite hard to do for such a simple job. It's all part of the Government's carbon emissions target. Check out the small print but it should be worth it.

is it really free or are there certian criterias ie income? The door knocker today told me there was no criteria but looking on the energy sites it says income related. No way will I tell any salesman my income etc...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Had mine done about 2 years ago - mine's a modern [less than 20 years old] house and is of the dry-liner wall design.
They drill 1 inch holes in the outer wall and then blast in a white fluffy material.
All for free - took about half a day for a 4-bed detached.
Happy with outcome, bills are cheaper, and defo no sign of any damp.
Just make sure the provider has the necessary work qualifications - can't remember what these were now.
Defo not means tested either.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Had mine done about 2 years ago - mine's a modern [less than 20 years old] house and is of the dry-liner wall design.
They drill 1 inch holes in the outer wall and then blast in a white fluffy material.
Just make sure the provider has the necessary work qualifications - can't remember what these were now.

Thanks

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
is it really free or are there certian criterias ie income? The door knocker today told me there was no criteria but looking on the energy sites it says income related. No way will I tell any salesman my income etc...

It was a few years ago now, but most of the time to get completely free, you had to be on benefits. Saying that, even if you weren't on benefits, it was discounted by the power companies. I worked with British Gas, Seeboard and Powergen and they would pay up to 50% of the cost. As I said, check the small print. It's also worth checking out loft insulation.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

British Board of Agrement http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
It was a few years ago now, but most of the time to get completely free, you had to be on benefits. Saying that, even if you weren't on benefits, it was discounted by the power companies. I worked with British Gas, Seeboard and Powergen and they would pay up to 50% of the cost. As I said, check the small print. It's also worth checking out loft insulation.

They told me no grants for loft insulation.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Had mine done 6 years ago. Same conclusion as yours. Very happy with it.

Jul 7, 2003
Had mine done 6 years ago. Same conclusion as yours. Very happy with it.

Same here a couple of years ago. Tesco did ours - cavity wall and also got the loft done at the same time. Loft wasn't the neatest job but much better than having to do it myself.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Had it done free of charge a couple of years ago and I am very happy with it. House is much warmer now and heating bills have come down a little.

Not had any issues with damp.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here