Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did your Mum and Dad used to take you on dubious holiday visits?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Rockley Sands, now Rockley Park camp site, near Poole, way back in the early 80's.
Remember the shower block, freezing cold showers, spiders, toilets that the smell reminded me of old BR stations and the caravans, well probably on long term loan to the Croydon sect. :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We used to go to Millport for (count 'em) EIGHT weeks in the Summer because my dad got seconded from being British Rail ticket office bloke at mainline station to being purser - complete with Navy-style-braided uniform complete with peaked cap - on the Clyde steamers. Highlight of the morning for us gullible kids was going to the daily Sand Service held on the beach where a core cast of reformed alkies - and probably worse - called things like Brother John held court for an hour on how Jesus Saves. Obviously no self-respecting kid would normally have anything to do with any God-related guff, apart from us kids were being closely monitored. If you sat stock still for the full hour and pretended to be paying attention, you were publicly rewarded with a small bag of sweets or a pencil with Jesus Saves in gold writing down the side. The rest of the day just went downhill from there.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
We used to go to Millport for (count 'em) EIGHT weeks in the Summer because my dad got seconded from being British Rail ticket office bloke at mainline station to being purser - complete with Navy-style-braided uniform complete with peaked cap - on the Clyde steamers. Highlight of the morning for us gullible kids was going to the daily Sand Service held on the beach where a core cast of reformed alkies - and probably worse - called things like Brother John held court for an hour on how Jesus Saves. Obviously no self-respecting kid would normally have anything to do with any God-related guff, apart from us kids were being closely monitored. If you sat stock still for the full hour and pretended to be paying attention, you were publicly rewarded with a small bag of sweets or a pencil with Jesus Saves in gold writing down the side. The rest of the day just went downhill from there.

you should write a book, that's hilarious ... I was having a sh*t day 'til I read that

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Jaywick, on the outskirts of Clacton on Sea. Even Dad called it Britain after the bomb.

Also got taken on a tour of Dungeness Power station as a kid, but I thought it was pretty cool.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
We lived in Hangleton. Dad took us on days out to such far flung places as Bramber, Arundel, Worthing , Littlehampton, Eastbourne and even Seaford. The only weeks holiday away we ever had was at the Sunshine Holiday camp on Hayling Island. Happy days

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Early 60s my mum met a Bradford fan who was down for their match with Brighton. We ended up having a couple of holidays in Esholt which was OK othe than overnight coach rides on slow, smelly coaches with those old style itchy seats and no loo. Happens one christmas was the bad winter of 1962/3 - Yorkshire was bloody cold that year.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Bstards I was born there

Weymouth is a bit kiss me quick now, Portland is worth the trip for the cliff walk alone. The Spyglass at Overcombe being turned into a ****ing Harvester annoyed me greatly as they put little smoke/beach huts up along the edge of the garden, ruining the view for everyone. idiots. But the real gems are to be found a little inland I find, that countryside is stunning. I spend a fair bit of time climbing on Portland.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Went for a weekend to Basingstoke, I kid you not! There's a indoor sky dive type place the kidds wanted to go to, so we did that and made a weekend of it. To give you an idea of what it was like we were back in Arundel by midday on the Sunday!

Quality...

On another issue are distantly related to William or do you just know the family ?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Sandy Bay [emoji17]

Remember it well - chalet bungalows.
Dubious entertainment.
Nice big beach tho.
I was only young around 13
I went back at the age of 21 and got turfed out of carribean night coz I looked too young fffffsake.

Many years later I went to Sandy Balls :moo:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Remember it well - chalet bungalows.
Dubious entertainment.
Nice big beach tho.
I was only young around 13
I went back at the age of 21 and got turfed out of carribean night coz I looked too young fffffsake.

Many years later I went to Sandy Balls :moo:
All of that. Been to Sandy Balls as well. Fishing was good 😀

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The middle of France in some crap village with only a local shop that stank of old cheese. No English newspapers for a fortnight so it was the most miserable holiday ever. And the weather was shite.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Last year i met a family from Plymouth.
They take their kids away every year to the same caravan park.
Its called Riverside in Coypool.
Where is Coypool?
Its part of Plymouth, near the speedway track and a retail site.

Please tell me they tow their own caravan there.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My late Father worked for the MOD and had jobs to do at army bases all over the country. Holidays always seemed to be near these bases and I'm sure his company never knew.
50 years ago this weekend we were driving home down (A6 rather than M6) from Blackpool and can remember the Aberfan horry. My Dad commented that we were 'close by'.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here