Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did your Mum and Dad used to take you on dubious holiday visits?

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
a53be407775ff0eff476c31a68814f24.jpg

Not really beach tonight

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
All of that. Been to Sandy Balls as well. Fishing was good ��

Took my kids to Sandy Balls for a weekend last year, along with some friends and their families, my son has been intermittently asking when we are going back ever since, though I think having other children to play with was key to his enjoyment.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I went back to Shanklin after many years. Seemed so different. I wrote a piece on the experience.

https://brightonlines.com/2014/06/26/a-cheap-day-return-to-shanklin/

Blimey, your article brings memories flooding back. We used to go to the IoW for many years in the early 60s for our family holidays, usually to Sandown. I took my lad there when he was a nipper (early 90s) and he loved it. Old fashioned seaside, bucket-and-spade job, and we stayed in a lovely hotel (a former country house, with indoor and outdoor pool) where I taught him to swim. The place seemed like a time-warp, locked in the 60s. Saddest part for me was seeing that coastal erosion had obliterated huge parts of Blackgang Chine, which I frequented a lot as a kid. We still have colour cine film from 1963 of my brothers and me running around there and it looks like something out of a Pathe newsreel!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We used to go to visit relatives for two, three or (if we'd been really badly behaved) four weeks of the summer holidays in a little village in the middle of nowhere in Lincolnshire. The nearest town was Grantham.

Grantham is famous for precisely three things. First and foremost it was where Thatcher was born and raised and you only had to take a trip past her parents' old grocer's store to see why she f***ed off to university and then Finchley as fast as her handbag would carry her. IIRC it didn't have a blue plaque since you couldn't walk past it without some grizzled local muttering something about "Alf Roberts' daughter m'duck" through a mouthful of bun.

Secondly it is famous for being where Sir Isaac Newton was born and raised. He didn't have a blue plaque either. Instead they built a shopping centre (ish, think the Arndale in Eastbourne) named after him, complete with a statue. On the hour an apple would fall on his head and a grizzled local would remark "apple's fell" through a mouthful of bun.

Thirdly it has a couple of decent real ale pubs, but as this was the late 70s and early 80s I wasn't allowed in them.

Every year we would arrive and immediately play football in the HUGE field next to my gran's cottage, forgetting that the whole thing was riddled with holes and cowshit. Having twisted our ankles and covered our only sports clothes in poo we would be tutted at. Since my gran didn't have a bathroom and only had an outdoor loo we'd have to wait to clean up until the next day when our BIG TREAT was to go to the swimming baths and then have a bun in a cafe above a supermarket that might have been a Morrisons.

Then we just repeated this for two, three or even four weeks, occasionally being disturbed by a loud, low flying RAF jet, watching mum and dad go off to the pub without us and eating fresh greens from the allotment that had been boiled for a minimum of four hours.

Happy days.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
We used to go to visit relatives for two, three or (if we'd been really badly behaved) four weeks of the summer holidays in a little village in the middle of nowhere in Lincolnshire. The nearest town was Grantham.

Grantham is famous for precisely three things. First and foremost it was where Thatcher was born and raised and you only had to take a trip past her parents' old grocer's store to see why she f***ed off to university and then Finchley as fast as her handbag would carry her. IIRC it didn't have a blue plaque since you couldn't walk past it without some grizzled local muttering something about "Alf Roberts' daughter m'duck" through a mouthful of bun.

Secondly it is famous for being where Sir Isaac Newton was born and raised. He didn't have a blue plaque either. Instead they built a shopping centre (ish, think the Arndale in Eastbourne) named after him, complete with a statue. On the hour an apple would fall on his head and a grizzled local would remark "apple's fell" through a mouthful of bun.

Thirdly it has a couple of decent real ale pubs, but as this was the late 70s and early 80s I wasn't allowed in them.

Every year we would arrive and immediately play football in the HUGE field next to my gran's cottage, forgetting that the whole thing was riddled with holes and cowshit. Having twisted our ankles and covered our only sports clothes in poo we would be tutted at. Since my gran didn't have a bathroom and only had an outdoor loo we'd have to wait to clean up until the next day when our BIG TREAT was to go to the swimming baths and then have a bun in a cafe above a supermarket that might have been a Morrisons.

Then we just repeated this for two, three or even four weeks, occasionally being disturbed by a loud, low flying RAF jet, watching mum and dad go off to the pub without us and eating fresh greens from the allotment that had been boiled for a minimum of four hours.

Happy days.

Jesus Christ! Aren't the S'Mods from there though?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Jesus Christ! Aren't the S'Mods from there though?

One of 'em is. You reminded me though, we also used to go to Sleaford because it had a cinema. When we first started going Grantham didn't. Eventually, though they built one that looked like a scout hut, and was showing "Mickey's Christmas Carol" during the Easter holidays.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Grantham is famous for precisely three things. ..

You run the place down. Nicholas Parsons was also born there and, I see from Wikipedia, it was also home to the first public library in the UK and the first policewoman.

Even more famously, about 20 years ago, it was placed first in a nationwide poll to find the most boring town in Britain - that's a particularly notable achievement

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You run the place down. Nicholas Parsons was also born there and, I see from Wikipedia, it was also home to the first public library in the UK and the first policewoman.

Even more famously, about 20 years ago, it was placed first in a nationwide poll to find the most boring town in Britain - that's a particularly notable achievement

Thoroughly deserved :thumbsup:

Makes Peterborough look like the West End.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Bembridge Isle of Wight. On a houseboat with no proper sanitation so when you flushed the loo the contents, including bright pink loo paper, was deposited on the swans that swam (or waddled at low tide) beneath.
The property came with a small rowboat that my parents were determined to use. So come the last day and it still hadn't stopped raining, the 4 of us jammed into the boat and did battle with the swans, pink loo paper around their webbed feet and stuck in their bills.

Happy days.

I can trace it to 1977 because boycott got his 100th hundred whilst we were there and I (at 14) could at last go in a pub and beat my dad at darts, even if lemonade was the strongest prize.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Bembridge Isle of Wight. On a houseboat with no proper sanitation so when you flushed the loo the contents, including bright pink loo paper, was deposited on the swans that swam (or waddled at low tide) beneath.
The property came with a small rowboat that my parents were determined to use. So come the last day and it still hadn't stopped raining, the 4 of us jammed into the boat and did battle with the swans, pink loo paper around their webbed feet and stuck in their bills.

Happy days.

I can trace it to 1977 because boycott got his 100th hundred whilst we were there and I (at 14) could at last go in a pub and beat my dad at darts, even if lemonade was the strongest prize.

PG

Crikey! It was worse than you thought, didn't stop raining? Wasn't 1977 the year of the long hot summer. You was really unlucky.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Crikey! It was worse than you thought, didn't stop raining? Wasn't 1977 the year of the long hot summer. You was really unlucky.
76 the long hot summer. Tbf it didn't rain all week but did when the boat was pushed out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here