Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool - The city

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I assume you have never been there? At least not in the last few years. The city centre is far nicer than Brighton's.

Been there more than once. Wouldn't choose to live there. Lots of investment going on I agree, but the people are so insular, chips on both shoulders.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Did I quote anyone? It is just an opinion.
Perhaps it was slightly misleading as you started with 'I love it how some people....' and then slagged off the place and it's people.
Starting of with 'my opinion' or 'I think' may have been more honest. The thread was a very positive one on the whole but all your contribution was prejudiced and negative. I am sorry that you've had bad experiences in Liverpool, but that should not tar all or even most of the people there.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If you get a chance to pop along the coast to Crosby beach, go and see Gormley's "Another Place". Check the times for low tide for the best view.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The city centre is far nicer than Brighton's.

Was there just last week. I'm sorry, but I think that's a ridiculous statement to make. Liverpool has a nice city centre but it's definitely not 'far nicer' than Brighton's city centre. How can you even compare?

They are totally different cities. Brighton is probably the prettiest coastal city in the country. I've just moved back after being away for the last 5 years and boy does it feel good to be back.

PS I think Manchester city centre beats Liverpool's.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Was there just last week. I'm sorry, but I think that's a ridiculous statement to make. Liverpool has a nice city centre but it's definitely not 'far nicer' than Brighton's city centre. How can you even compare?

They are totally different cities. Brighton is probably the prettiest coastal city in the country. I've just moved back after being away for the last 5 years and boy does it feel good to be back.

Not sure I've ever heard Brighton described as ' pretty '
In what way do you think it's pretty?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Liverpool centre is fantastic. Second city of the empire when it was at its height and the number of listed buildings shows that, second only to London. It's right that it can't be compared to Brighton, I love Brighton but it's small and provincial in comparison. And there's nothing grim or poor about the centre of Liverpool either.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I read some pretty bold statements about Brighton, but that has got to be right up there - Pretty??

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'd dispute the word 'pretty' for starters, and if we're talking strictly about cities, Liverpool is one, Edinburgh? St Davids?

I think it's pretty, at least large parts of it. Yes there are obviously grotty bits too... and let's assume he's talking about England, not the UK.

There's the beautiful Georgian terraces on the seafront. The Pavilion. The hilly landscape. The hotch-potch of multi-coloured houses in Hanover. The leafy boulevards of Fiveways. The seafront arches... etc. The grand town houses around Clifton Terrace, The Lanes etc.

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Jnr. Skipper has a nice view from his Student digs.

liverpool cathedral.jpg

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I think it's pretty, at least large parts of it. Yes there are obviously grotty bits too... and let's assume he's talking about England, not the UK.

There's the beautiful Georgian terraces on the seafront. The Pavilion. The hilly landscape. The hotch-potch of multi-coloured houses in Hanover. The leafy boulevards of Fiveways. The seafront arches... etc. The grand town houses around Clifton Terrace, etc.

Yep, it's got it's nice bits but then so has every city - Without going city by city I think you could make similar claims about most cities. Portsmouth, for example has some fascinating historic places. I guess pretty is a bit of arbitrary term. I guess I just find it slightly the way people talk about Brighton as a little insular at times, perhaps that is because I am an 'outsider'.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Been a couple of times and loved it. We stayed in a massive luxury modern apartment in the city centre last time with the kids, for pretty much the same price as a decent hotel room. Did all the usual bits like the Albert Docks, Anfield, the City "Duck" tour etc. but also really enjoyed catching the ferry & going to the U-Boat submarine centre over the other side of the river. Really interesting place - & you get a great view of the city as you come back afterwards. There is a fab museum too, with a whole floor dedicated to the music scene up there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here