Liverpool - The city

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
From what I've seen a small part of the centre is lovely and most of the rest is grim, I stand (hope) to be corrected though.
I agree with all of the above comments. But there are very nice areas of Liverpool, Childwall, Mossley Hill, etc. Just not exciting or dangerous like Toccy or Croccy! Anfield is interesting.... :) Have a look for the queen Victoria statue, I think from memory it's at the top of Lord Street in town. Legend has it that the sculptor committed suicide after the unveiling. The audience laughed uproariously as the queen's staff was held at such an angle that from one side it appeared that the monarch was the owner of a large male member. And the comment about the philharmonic's toilets was actually very sensible. They're well worth a look if you're in the pub (great Guinness). Walker art gallery is great especially fine pre-Raphaelites, love the Waterhouse especially. There's also a picture of Firle somewhere in it, one of the Bloomsbury set painted it. The museum is great and the library is amazing. Go into the main, circular part and sneeze or something! Fantastic new staircase there as well. The cathedrals are wonderful. I love the Anglican one and in particular the lady chapel. Beautiful! I lived there 14 years, all over the city and I didn't think I'd miss it but I do. It's unique. Love it and hate it.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I believe [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] is local to the area and perhaps if you ask nicely he'll let you view the largest grumble collection in Europe.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just not exciting or dangerous like Toccy or Croccy!

Don't think Toxteth is that bad but Croccy is like something from a third-world country. Went to the worst pub in England there - looked like one of those Western saloons after John Wayne had had it out with the local tough guys.

Apart from that, Liverpool is a fantastic city, full of the beautiful and the mundane, the opulent and the down at heel.

My first ever visit saw me sitting in a pub near Lime St: within five minutes the door flew open and a guy legged it through the bar and out the back way, 30 seconds later, two coppers came the same way and exited through the same door ... only in Liverpool

EDIT: And people aren't lying about the bogs in the Philharmonic - they're a must-see

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don't think Toxteth is that bad but Croccy is like something from a third-world country. Went to the worst pub in England there - looked like one of those Western saloons after John Wayne had had it out with the local tough guys.

Apart from that, Liverpool is a fantastic city, full of the beautiful and the mundane, the opulent and the down at heel.

My first ever visit saw me sitting in a pub near Lime St: within five minutes the door flew open and a guy legged it through the bar and out the back way, 30 seconds later, two coppers came the same way and exited through the same door ... only in Liverpool

EDIT: And people aren't lying about the bogs in the Philharmonic - they're a must-see
Croccy, I used to work on the edge of it. Well lots of kids in the school I was at were from the large estates nearby. It really is awful. But you're right, I know Toxteth well and like it. Which pub in Croccy? I used to frequent a pub called the Dog and Gun. Sawdust on the floor type place. One day wondered why police were everywhere and found that someone had been in there earlier and blasted a shotgun at someone.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

My mates are black cab drivers from dingle , they took me for a tour round Toxteth in particular Granby st , I have never , ever seen a place as rough looking as that in Britain and , if.youre describing that "not that bad" you are just playing of "look at me.im from moulsecoomb, nothing fazes me"

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My mates are black cab drivers from dingle , they took me for a tour round Toxteth in particular Granby st , I have never , ever seen a place as rough looking as that in Britain and , if.youre describing that "not that bad" you are just playing of "look at me.im from moulsecoomb, nothing fazes me"
I think that's true. However Toxteth has loads of character whereas somewhere like Croxteth is totally soul destroying. There are other areas well worth avoiding as well. Stockbridge Village (changed its name from Cantrell Farm) Dovecot (used to live there, similar to Croxteth) Netherley, and many of the inner city areas such as Kenny and Edge Hill. Everton, not where the club is, is pretty horrible as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Believe me, Croccy makes Toxteth look like Mayfair.

I'm not saying that Toxteth is some idyllic suburb but there a lot, lot worse places in England. I see GCCM agrees with me too. It may have been worse before the riots in 81 but there's been a bit of money spent on since then

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I'm not saying that Toxteth is some idyllic suburb but there a lot, lot worse places in England. I see GCCM agrees with me too. It may have been worse before the riots in 81 but there's been a bit of money spent on since then
There are some fantastic properties in Toxteth and some on its borders. Places like Croxteth have that feeling of being abandoned and left to fester.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Croccy, I used to work on the edge of it. Well lots of kids in the school I was at were from the large estates nearby. It really is awful. But you're right, I know Toxteth well and like it. Which pub in Croccy? I used to frequent a pub called the Dog and Gun. Sawdust on the floor type place. One day wondered why police were everywhere and found that someone had been in there earlier and blasted a shotgun at someone.

Good god I know the Dog and Gun. The joke was that we wouldn't consider setting foot inside it even if we had a Dog and a Gun.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

I went long after the riots and Granby st was still like a scene from Escape from new York
, never ever seen anywhere like it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I used to live in Liverpool and still work in the city centre. Everyone I know who has visited has been astonished at the transformation in the last 15 years. there are plenty of places to go - cathedrals, Beatles tour (if you really must), the fake cavern (which is on the wrong side of the street, the museums, art galleries, Liverpool One, docks, pier head, pubs (depends what you like - Philharmonic is good but a bit of a cliche - otherwise Ship & Mitre, Roscoe head, Dispensary, Baltic Fleet, White Star, Cracke, Vernons, Rigby's etc etc. No idea about clubs (too old,but the place is currently stuffed with students so the kidz must be able to find something.
There are plenty of hotels but they get rammed when Liverpool are at home - mostly with Norweigians. Do NOT stay at the Adelphi Hotel - just look at it from the outside.

There are bits that are complete sh!tholes (mostly up the north end) but you can easily avoid them

http://www.itsliverpool.com/

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lived in Toxteth in the late 60s early 70s in my student days. Slum then, but still a great place to live. Revisited the place with my daughter about five years ago. My old student flat in Falkner Square would probably set you back the best part of a £M now. Your information about Granby Street is a bit out of date too - some superb rregeneration work going on there.........

http://i4.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article10564345.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/JS78261436.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I love how some people portray grim, northern shithole with residents out to fleece absolutely anybody with a couple of cultural highlights thrown in as 'gritty, northern city with salt of the earth folk with a charming demeanour who always see the bright side, with a lashings of musical genius to boot'.

Hole, with natives loyal only to themselves, who see themselves as pioneers of all sorts of shit, but in reality are chancers trying to grab whatever they can, in anyway other than honest.

Apart from that, it is quite a nice place :smile:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Lived in Toxteth in the late 60s early 70s in my student days. Slum then, but still a great place to live. Revisited the place with my daughter about five years ago. My old student flat in Falkner Square would probably set you back the best part of a £M now. Your information about Granby Street is a bit out of date too - some superb rregeneration work going on there.........

http://i4.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article10564345.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/JS78261436.jpg

Is that a trailer with plants in, far left of photo? :)
Anyone got a before picture?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I love how some people portray grim, northern shithole with residents out to fleece absolutely anybody with a couple of cultural highlights thrown in as 'gritty, northern city with salt of the earth folk with a charming demeanour who always see the bright side, with a lashings of musical genius to boot'.

Hole, with natives loyal only to themselves, who see themselves as pioneers of all sorts of shit, but in reality are chancers trying to grab whatever they can, in anyway other than honest.

Apart from that, it is quite a nice place [emoji2]
Who portrayed Liverpool in the way you describe in this thread, except of course for you?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Apart from that, it is quite a nice place :smile:

I assume you have never been there? At least not in the last few years. The city centre is far nicer than Brighton's.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here