Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ref 10 yds

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
One of these, could hold cards, radio gear, spray, laser-measure, drink, spectacles, plumb-line, chain and spare flag in case of snappage.

View attachment 78716
the way things are going this might be better image.jpg

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Pawson was shit for the whole 90 minutes. Their meathead of a number 25 should have been off for 2 yellows by early in the 2nd half, not a first yellow somewhere around the 70 minutes.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
There were also several obvious displays of dissent from Preston which he ignored despite yellows being given for this kind of thing all season. Plus their bloke celebrated in front of the family stand but didn't get booked unlike Knockaert at Sheffield Wednesday.

The only other ref who seems to be as shit as Pawson is Stroud, who typically we've got tomorrow.

Collingburnian

May 13, 2016
Shoreham by Sea
Reference Mothy's idea of a stake and rope, I remember a couple of refs in the 1950s who did that. Yes it was a six inch nail and ten yards of string, but it was accurate. The string also had a piece of blue chalk attached which the ref used to mark the pitch in the same way that foam is used these days. Crude,yes, but accurate and effective.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Reference Mothy's idea of a stake and rope, I remember a couple of refs in the 1950s who did that. Yes it was a six inch nail and ten yards of string, but it was accurate. The string also had a piece of blue chalk attached which the ref used to mark the pitch in the same way that foam is used these days. Crude,yes, but accurate and effective.

I would think there must be a small hand held digital measure available on the market that would not be as big as his powder canister to put in their pocket.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This happened at Rotherham away a few years ago (when we were shit). I think it was Leon Worst who was going mental with the ref about the wall being too near. So the ref paced it out and we all counted....to 8 where he drew the line.

Wouldn't have mattered anyway as we were awful but the free kick was duly smashed straight into the wall and everyone sang "We can count to ten.....".

Does seem strange that it's not done a bit more scientifically but then again, you'd also expect the referee to be able to count.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned how he took 9 very small paces for 1 kick then for the next the crowd counted them out but after the tenth he took one back towards the ball then applied the lines. This is a from what is classed as a top ref.:facepalm:

I noticed all this very much as well - and when he had paced something out as well, he was not good at making sure the players were on or behind the line. At least two free kicks in the first half he failed to do so.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wrote an e mail to the Ref Assoc at the FA about the fact that a ref is unable to count to 10 and here is there reply

Many thanks for taking the time to write to you are the ref.

During their training I have taken referees out on the field and delivered a session on achieving 10 yards at free kicks (9.15m)

Referees of different sizes sometimes enables the taller guy to reach ten yards with 9 good strides. The smaller referee needs about eleven strides to achieve the same distance.

However when we practice getting 10 yards out on the pitch this exercise gets them over any problems.

Frankly it is inappropriate for any referee not to achieve the appropriate distance in law.

It is lazy and unacceptable and sets a bad example to other referees coming through y

the system.

Another drop in standards because Premier League referees no longer have an assessor in attendance in games and they are beginning to do what they want.

Kind regards

Keith Hackett

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This happened at Rotherham away a few years ago (when we were shit). I think it was Leon Worst who was going mental with the ref about the wall being too near. So the ref paced it out and we all counted....to 8 where he drew the line.

Wouldn't have mattered anyway as we were awful but the free kick was duly smashed straight into the wall and everyone sang "We can count to ten.....".

Does seem strange that it's not done a bit more scientifically but then again, you'd also expect the referee to be able to count.

2 seasons ago - pretty sure [MENTION=22888]ChazzyBHA[/MENTION] filmed it on his phone. It was hilarious (only high spot on a dismal day)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I wrote an e mail to the Ref Assoc at the FA about the fact that a ref is unable to count to 10 and here is there reply

Many thanks for taking the time to write to you are the ref.

During their training I have taken referees out on the field and delivered a session on achieving 10 yards at free kicks (9.15m)

Referees of different sizes sometimes enables the taller guy to reach ten yards with 9 good strides. The smaller referee needs about eleven strides to achieve the same distance.

However when we practice getting 10 yards out on the pitch this exercise gets them over any problems.

Frankly it is inappropriate for any referee not to achieve the appropriate distance in law.

It is lazy and unacceptable and sets a bad example to other referees coming through y

the system.

Another drop in standards because Premier League referees no longer have an assessor in attendance in games and they are beginning to do what they want.

Kind regards

Keith Hackett

So he's said they train for it, acknowledges that some referees are wilfully ignorant and offers no inkling that it will be improved upon.

Modern football, ladies and gentlemen; where the talentless are paid millions and the feckless are employed gainfully.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here