Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you answer all calls to your mobile or selective?

akipling

Jan 12, 2010
Morecambe
I tend not to answer 0843 numbers and when I do get the occasional ambulance chaser on a 01 number the first thing I do is block the number from future contact

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What happens if the police try to call you to informed of information about a family member/ friend, maybe they have be involved in accident or need help etc.

To be honest, if said loved one had been in an accident (of a serious nature), the police would always try and contact you in person rather than break the news over the phone, for all sorts of reasons. I've delivered enough of those messages over the years and it's been face to face on all but one occasion, I think. That was when the relative phoned the deceased person's mobile for the umpteenth time, and with no other means of identifying them or their family, we eventually had to take a deep breath and answer it.

In this day and age there are huge pressures to get the message across quickly, as the prevalence of mobile phones and social media means word of a serious accident spreads very quickly. It's not uncommon for relatives to turn up at the scene of a terrible crash before the injured- or dead- person has even been identified by the police. It's incredibly difficult, and sensitive.

Me, I tend to ignore the 0843 calls. I google the number afterwards, establish it was a spam caller and block it. Anybody who really wants to get hold of me, as opposed to enquiring whether I've recently been injured in an accident that wasn't my fault, will leave a message and I can call straight back.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
When I get a call asking if I've been in an accident, I shoute "YES. PLEASE HELP, I'M TRAPPED AND THE CAR'S ON FIRE", scream then hang up.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All calls from non known numbers divert without ringing to voicemail which I check from time to time.

This is only overridden if I'm expecting an urgent call from an unknown number.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As I said on that thread, if someone really wants to contact me, they'd leave a voicemail, so I would hear what they had to say a few moments later.

I also ignore unknown numbers. I am registered with the TPS, but that doesn't stop my mobile being pestered with criminal scam calls.

This. I also don't answer my mobile at all if I'm driving, walking my kids anywhere or doing something round the house that needs my full attention. Frankly ir would be selfish to do that. No phone call is worth more than safety or quality time with your loved ones.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As I said on that thread, if someone really wants to contact me, they'd leave a voicemail, so I would hear what they had to say a few moments later.

I also ignore unknown numbers. I am registered with the TPS, but that doesn't stop my mobile being pestered with criminal scam calls.

This for me as well, if someone really wants (or needs) to get hold of me urgently then they're going to leave a message.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I answer all the calls but I pretend to be someone else.

Hello this is Ian. No, Albion my Albion is not here. I think you have the wrong number. You can reach Albion my Albion at ####. I then give a phone number for the police.

BlackDove

Oct 10, 2016
Following on from another thread, do you answer all call form you mobile or are you selective
I understand there is a growing trend for people to only answer if the number is recognised??
What happen when a family member is involved in an accident and a good samaritan tries to call you on there phone whilst said person lies injured by the roadside,
What happens when a family member loses/gets mugged/has stolen there phone and then they try and call you for help when borrowing a phone off a good samaritan.
What happens if the police try to call you to informed of information about a family member/ friend, maybe they have be involved in accident or need help etc.
I find this action to be very selfish.

I like many many other get probably 10+ call a day telling me I have not claimed PPI, been involved in a accident, got something wrong with my computer etc,
But it don’t stop me answering them, it take 2-3 secs to recognise then and cut them off.
Is this really so much hassle you would risk not being in contact with loved one in the event of an emergency.

I don't think there is an obligation to answer your phone at any time. Especially if you don't recognise the number. People should be allowed their own space and time, even in this hyper-connected world.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I bought a BT call guardian phone so the scammers can't get through. Now I get them on my mobile and,depending on what mood I'm in, I either tell them to "eff off" and then block the number or ask them exactly what accident I'm supposed to have had then tell them to "eff off" and then block them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I only answer calls from my contact list and like a few posters on here await a voicemail from the others, if it's important they always leave a message, if they are scammers or telesales they are onto the next 'victim' ??? Works for me

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
unknown or hidden numbers can bog off, if you are hiding who you are then I don't want to talk to you. Numbers not in my contact lists I will google the number and if its not coming up as a known scammers number i will ring it straight back, if its a scammer/ppi/accident claim then straight on the block caller list

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There seems to be some kind of really annoying scam-centre based in Haywards Heath. Every time I get get a 'missed call' from 01444 and google the number, it's invariably the usual PPI etc. garbage. Anybody own up to working there?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There seems to be some kind of really annoying scam-centre based in Haywards Heath. Every time I get get a 'missed call' from 01444 and google the number, it's invariably the usual PPI etc. garbage. Anybody own up to working there?

It's not actually coming from HH. It's a way of 'hiding' locations. I'm getting quite a few from there too. Previously, I got them from locations in Wales.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Following on from another thread, do you answer all call form you mobile or are you selective
I understand there is a growing trend for people to only answer if the number is recognised??
What happen when a family member is involved in an accident and a good samaritan tries to call you on there phone whilst said person lies injured by the roadside,
What happens when a family member loses/gets mugged/has stolen there phone and then they try and call you for help when borrowing a phone off a good samaritan.
I find this action to be very selfish.

I like many many other get probably 10+ call a day telling me I have not claimed PPI, been involved in a accident, got something wrong with my computer etc,
But it don’t stop me answering them, it take 2-3 secs to recognise then and cut them off.
Is this really so much hassle you would risk not being in contact with loved one in the event of an emergency.

voice mail is a wonderful thing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here