Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2016/17-Your thoughts so far?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't help but feel that we're looking far from The Real Deal this season, despite the flattering league position. Attacking options are threadbare to say the least, and despite the stats, defence looks too ropey too often. Only in midfield do we look like the finished article. On evidence so far, might just about scrape into the play-offs, but finishing top two is out of the question. Season hinges on a successful January transfer window.

Murray is joint 3rd best striker, Knockaert is joint 4th. We've won 2 games 3-0.

We kept being told that beating other top 6 teams was the key. We've won one & lost one, so far.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
From what I've seen, we've been average at best, bar Dunk and Knockaert, and we're 4th which can only be a good thing. Hopefully, everyone begins to perform to their best ability and we progress towards the automatics.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Helps to see Sheffield Wednesday winning at Huddersfield as I type this, we'll be second or third this season and for once crush the Championship play off hoodoo, if it comes to that.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
On the plus side:

No hangover from last year's disappointment. Team are as up for it as always.
Strength in depth. Injuries and suspensions need not derail us.
Murray's finishing is a joy to behold and shows he's not past it.
Baldock, I predict, is going to have a proper season.
Put these two together and the lack of a fourth quality striker may not be the obstacle we thought.

On the minus side

We're a bit predictable tactically.
We couldn't compete at Newcastle - we'll have to match them and Norwich if we want to go up.
Uncertainty about contracts (Stephens and Kayal) could hurt us as the season goes on .
Strength of the championship is a bit scary.

I think we'll finish third or fourth this season. Then who knows?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
There is no way we can compete with the funds and talent available to the likes of Newcastle and Norwich. I am not expecting us to get anywhere near those two come the end of the season. We do not have the parachute payments that several teams have to strengthen and have to be very cute in the transfer market to recruit. The quality of our current players is the highest it has been for many, many years.

We are doing well. It could be better but also a whole lot worse. There will be ups and downs, which is great really, but the play-offs are what we can realistically aim for and dare I say expect. However if we can plan and go into them with a strong, reasonably rested squad we will have a decent chance.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
On the plus side:

No hangover from last year's disappointment. Team are as up for it as always.
Strength in depth. Injuries and suspensions need not derail us.
Murray's finishing is a joy to behold and shows he's not past it.
Baldock, I predict, is going to have a proper season.
Put these two together and the lack of a fourth quality striker may not be the obstacle we thought.

On the minus side

We're a bit predictable tactically.
We couldn't compete at Newcastle - we'll have to match them and Norwich if we want to go up.
Uncertainty about contracts (Stephens and Kayal) could hurt us as the season goes on .
Strength of the championship is a bit scary.

I think we'll finish third or fourth this season. Then who knows?

Good post: The only thing I'd add is that last season we kept Stephens & Kayal fit for most of the campaign but already this year that luck has run out. I think playoffs will be a realistic option for us but maybe this time around we will deliver when it matters and go up that way.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Murray is joint 3rd best striker, Knockaert is joint 4th. We've won 2 games 3-0.

We kept being told that beating other top 6 teams was the key. We've won one & lost one, so far.

For sure it's a mixed bag, that it's easy to put either a positive or negative spin on. But them's my thoughts so far, as per thread title invitation. What's your thoughts so far?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For sure it's a mixed bag, that it's easy to put either a positive or negative spin on. But them's my thoughts so far, as per thread title invitation. What's your thoughts so far?

It's all about expectations. I think we're doing well although it's obvious I'd like us to better.
We have 3 long term injuries, but haven't been derailed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Strange one. We had a good transfer window last January, and the team was better - perhaps I should say even better - than in the first half of the season, unbeaten start notwithstanding.
We've made some good additions in the summer, and kept everybody we needed to keep, so theoretically we should be even better and stronger than we were last season. Somehow though, it just doesn't quite feel like it. Oh, we're doing well, I'm not arguing about that - being 4th. in this division is damned good going, but it doesn't quite feel the same as last season.
That's just me - I'm sure not everyone will agree. If/when we beat Norwich (and Newcastle in the return match at the Amex) I dare say I'll feel differently!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here