Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Music fans - my debut EP as DAMSELFLY is out today

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not my usual cup of tea. but I have given it a spin and it's good. Excellent work

Nearest thing to it that I have is the last Ulver album ATGCLVLSSCAP, a far cry from their black metal roots.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
As others said, it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. The production is top notch and can hear lots of influences in there, bits of Joy Division and OMD, Kings of Convenience and Boards of Canada too. This is definitely my cup of tea.

Good to hear re; the production, I spent a fair time getting the mixes how I wanted them (although I appreciate they may not be everyone's taste) and the right track selection and order. I left some stuff off that I'm really happy with because it didn't fit the feel of the EP. The next one will probably be slightly more neo-classical / dance-influenced as I have some piano-heavy tracks and the like that fit quite nicely together, but it may take a different direction once I get properly stuck in. Hope to get this out in the New Year.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Yup. Thumbs up here. If you're local to Brighton and play live pm me. You'd fit in on some of the bills we do.

Cheers! May well do that. I used to play live a lot in guitar bands in the Brighton and London areas but haven't trod the boards for some time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
:bounce: back on to page one for anyone who wasn't able to give it a listen at work. I'm sure OP would appreciate some more feedback from the great and the good of NSC. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
:bounce: back on to page one for anyone who wasn't able to give it a listen at work. I'm sure OP would appreciate some more feedback from the great and the good of NSC. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, you're a gent and a scholar

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just ordered your CD.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Most enjoyable. Perfect listening for a Sunday afternoon following a heavy weekend. I like the artwork too.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Most enjoyable. Perfect listening for a Sunday afternoon following a heavy weekend. I like the artwork too.

Thank you, glad it helped aid your Sunday recovery. Good to hear you like the artwork too, the designer is a talented young man and also a relative of mine, which all helps in the cottage industry stakes!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Quick question for you [MENTION=3052]Hungry Joe[/MENTION]: Have you worked out the technicalities of playing DAMSELFLY tunes in a live setting yet, or is that still some way down the line?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Quick question for you [MENTION=3052]Hungry Joe[/MENTION]: Have you worked out the technicalities of playing DAMSELFLY tunes in a live setting yet, or is that still some way down the line?

I've given it some thought but not too much at this stage as still not sure I want to get back on the live stage, as much as I miss it in some ways. I may well do though, definitely haven't ruled it out. I could do it with the addition of a drummer and perhaps a bass player too, which would be good, just leaving me to do the keyboard / programming stuff. The other option would be just to do it solo with playing some of the keyboard parts live over the programming. Would depend on the venue / event a lot I guess. Having only played live in guitar bands it's something I'd need to get a fair amount of advice on first off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
CD arrived today cheers [MENTION=1965]Hungry Joe.[/MENTION] Playing it as we speak. Really have to admire the lean mean minimalist packaging, it's a thing of beauty that complements the music beautifully. Nice one!

While I'm here, have you given any thoughts to radio play? If you're not already aware of it, can I point you in the direction of Brighton's underground dance music station Codesouth. There's a number of electronica DJs on there who will certainly give your music a listen and who may well take it up and run with it. Gets the music out there - which is what it's all about aye?

Link is HERE: http://www.codesouth.fm/

top-logo.png

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
CD arrived today cheers [MENTION=1965]Hungry Joe.[/MENTION] Playing it as we speak. Really have to admire the lean mean minimalist packaging, it's a thing of beauty that complements the music beautifully. Nice one!

While I'm here, have you given any thoughts to radio play? If you're not already aware of it, can I point you in the direction of Brighton's underground dance music station Codesouth. There's a number of electronica DJs on there who will certainly give your music a listen and who may well take it up and run with it. Gets the music out there - which is what it's all about aye?

Link is HERE: http://www.codesouth.fm/

top-logo.png

Cheers mate, kind of you to say, very glad you like the packaging too. I have been thinking about where to next for getting it heard, thanks for the tip re; codesouth, will definitely send them a copy. I'm going to send one to BBC 6 Music also, you never know, they may give it a spin in the wee small hours. I'm also going to check out the film / tv soundtrack angle as, as you alluded to in your first post, I think some of it would lend itself well in that regard. I'll keep the good people of NSC posted on any positive news, I really do appreciate all the support and encouragement I've had from here, means a lot.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Just a quick bump to say that I've dropped the download price for the EP to 3.50 GBP as sales were a bit (well, very) slow on that front as opposed to the CD, so probably a bit ambitiously priced before. CDs are now down to a fiver as, although still limited edition, I've sold nearly all the individually numbered copies.

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/releases

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
CD arrived today. Cheers fella, got it on now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here