Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bonfire processions - a Sussex thing?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Never been but know someone from Somerset. Very big there. Spend all year doing their floats. Have different societies etc.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Never been but know someone from Somerset. Very big there. Spend all year doing their floats. Have different societies etc.

The somerset thing is more an illuminated carnival isnt it? Went to the glastonbury one once and i believe it runs in different villages each weekend. Lots of carnival floats by different organisations on a theme.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
i think the memory around the Lewes martyrs made it big thing in Lewes and it spread through the nearby villages. villages note, there's few towns that bother, Battle and Crowbrough? not many.
Nah. Can't think of a town in East Sussex that doesn't have one. Brighton used to have two as well.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The somerset thing is more an illuminated carnival isnt it? Went to the glastonbury one once and i believe it runs in different villages each weekend. Lots of carnival floats by different organisations on a theme.

Possibly yeah, not sure, but do know it's a big thing. Think things can get quite competitive between the different groups.

I always just assumed they were bonfire night processions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No idea why....but you're absolutely right. I grew up in Sussex, left aged 19 and have since lived all over the place since including the Thames Valley, Cornwall, Yorkshire and South Wales (where I am now). And none of them do Bonfire Night like Sussex. True, some of the villages along the Surrey/Kent borders get well and truly into the spirit (Brockham springs to mind), but it really is just along the fringes. More than any other time of the year, it's when I truly miss living in Sussex.
Yep, Brockham's is huge when you consider the size of the village.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And other towns like Uckfield, Burgess Hill, Eastbourne, Hastings, Seaford, Hailsham, Littlehampton and Rye - any more?

they have processions? as far as i recall in the 90's the towns lost their processions and only had firework displays, while villages like East Hoathly and Fletching would have procession through the village.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
they have processions? as far as i recall in the 90's the towns lost their processions and only had firework displays, while villages like East Hoathly and Fletching would have procession through the village.
Well Burgess Hill definitely has a big procession.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hastings, Rye and Battle do.

Hastings procession details are here for tomorrow night - http://www.hbbs.info/

From that website the following:

2016 SUSSEX BONFIRE EVENTS DATES

3rd September
Uckfield

10th September
Crowborough

17th September
Mayfield

24th September
Burgess Hill

1st October
Eastbourne
Rotherfield & Mark Cross

8th October
Northiam

15th October
Hastings

22nd October
Ninfield
Seaford
Fletching
Hailsham
Nevill Juveniles (Lewes)

29th October
Ewhurst & Staplecross
Newick
Littlehampton

5th November
Lewes Combined
Battle
Icklesham (Robin Hood)
Lindfield
Edenbridge (To be confirmed)

11th November
Isfield & Little Horsted

12th November
Rye
East Hoathly
Chailey
South Heighton

19th November
Robertsbridge

26th November
Hawkhurst

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Just seen on aforementioned friend's FB that is is indeed 'Carnival' right now, so ignore me! Talking out of my arse :lol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The Home Secretary hard at work in her constituency yesterday at Hastings Bonfire.

amber.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here