Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tesco vs Unilever ***Official Batch Thread***

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Pssssst....we haven't left yet. The price rise is simply a smokescreen excuse.

I know that.
The ingredient went up in price before the pound crashed. In fact almost as soon as the result was read out.
Regarding Unilever it does not matter if they make stuff in the UK if they import the ingredients from Europe.
I also would not trust Unilever or Tesco though.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As usual, nobody seems to be answering the question that we all want to know. Will this affect the price of Marmite crisps?

Funny you should say that I am talking crisps here, see my posts.
Better not say too much more but European suppliers have raised there prices before we have even left or sorted any deals out.
The wait for us to leave is going to cause major problems for companies that source from Europe.

bafb3e8d7da5ad92e2e0cd3751b18709.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't have marmite in the house.
If I did they'd be a national shortage of toast. :dunce:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Unilever can at least stand up the supermarkets, small brands are just delisted or put on the bottom shelf where no one looks.

As consumers we will be meaner and poorer due to the weak pound

I really don't think it's going to have much effect based on what I've seen in South Africa.
6 years ago there were 11 rands to the pound and 7 to the dollar.
Today it's 17.4 to the pound (having touched 24 late last year!)and 14.3 to the dollar (having gone over 16 late last year).
Unilever has several factories here, as they have across Africa, and import tonnes and tonnes of materials and products.
Inflation has not been above 5% in all that time and the supermarket competition keeps the prices down.
The retailers know that if they raise prices they will lose customers.There's a lot of own brand stuff on the shelves too.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I wonder who'll be the losers here.

Whoever they are they'll be SORE losers, as one of the Unilever products withdrawn is VASELINE.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Any reports of panic Marmite buying going on out there on the mean streets yet?

I've got about 3/4 of a medium-sized jar left, but I'm tempted to stock up.

Reminds me of that old Tim Vine gag: But I'm in great mood tonight because the other day I entered a competition
and I won a years supply of Marmite......... one jar.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Reminds me of that old Tim Vine gag: But I'm in great mood tonight because the other day I entered a competition
and I won a years supply of Marmite......... one jar.

I get through a Large Jar every 3-4 months - probably related to the number of Marmite Soldiers and Soft Boiled Eggs that get consumed at Jakarta Towers.

Anyway if it is a by product of brewing Beer :cheers: isn't it time for a Sussex Yeast-Based Spread - for example HARVITE?

(Awaits usual suspects explaining how a Dark Star Spread would be far better...) :lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Unilever are a bunch of cvnts:

The BUAV released findings in June 2013 of research showing cruel and unnecessary animal tests carried out by some of the world's leading food giants including Unilever. Animal experiments have been carried out in an attempt to identify the ‘health benefits’ of certain foods to feed the growing infatuation with ‘super foods’. The animals subjected to the experiments uncovered included mice, rats, rabbits and pigs. Unilever was named by the BUAV for experiments involving Hoodia gordonii, a spiny African shrub (which is already used as a weight management supplement for the treatment of obesity). Rabbits and mice were subjected to a reproductive toxicity test. Pregnant rabbits and mice were force fed extracts of the plant throughout their pregnancy for 25 days. The day before the animals were due to give birth, they and their unborn foetuses were killed and examined. Unilever was also named in an experiment in which piglets were given an extract of Lipton’s tea to see if it could counter diarrhoea caused by the Ecoli stomach bug. Eight of the month-old animals died, with severe diarrhoea to blame in at least seven of the cases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here