Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the best FOOTBALL book you have ever read ?

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
I read this book. I read all the book. The book about Bill Shankly. I read the book about Bill Shankly and Liverpool Football Club. I read this book

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Alan Hudson's Football Year Book 1972

or The Damned United

Jul 7, 2003
Although not especially a great book best title is Taking Le Tiss as that was what the football genius did to all the football peasants running around him

Frank Worthington's biog "one hump or two" is also a fairly accurate reflection on his playboy lifestyle.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Joey Barton's book is a surprisingly good read

I'll have to take your word for that (not something I am guessing you hear often)

But I would rather read the collected wisdom of Tyson Fury than anything produced in this prats name. The bloke is a disgrace. And the wider football world are thankfully beginning to wise up to this.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
images

This

KT17

Apr 19, 2014

One of the stories is that our Robin is on the bench, the opposition's centre back has been getting on everyone's tits, niggly fouls etc. After 70 minutes Friday gets called on from the bench, limbers up, studs checked, runs onto the pitch, goes up to this CB, lamps him, puts him out cold, immediately sent off to a standing ovation. Football gold.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

You say 'this' but from the reviews it seems to be a lot of match report cuttings cobbled together with no real coverage of the really interesting part - his decline post-football, with Reading fan reviewers suggesting this book was an opportunity wasted.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
You say 'this' but from the reviews it seems to be a lot of match report cuttings cobbled together with no real coverage of the really interesting part - his decline post-football, with Reading fan reviewers suggesting this book was an opportunity wasted.

It's the best we've got on him, sadly.

Unless you know better?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
too many - and great thread so I can read some more.

enjoyed this:

386181432199650a7521a84a640f5757.jpeg

anyone read this ?

51B9Gzp-VgL.jpg
I've just downloaded steak Diana Ross via kindle , I don't like reading books like. Keith Gillespie though as I find them depressing

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I just finished that about a month ago. As a baseball fan, I'd have liked more on Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, but that's just me. It's a remarkable feat of research.

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that lou gehrig died of lou gehrigs disease ?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What's shocking about that Gillespie book is the cover shot - he would have been 37/38 years old or younger when that photo was taken but his face is so lined.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
End of thread.. Amazing book...

It's by Duncan Hamilton who wrote the book on Harold Larwood - best sporting biography I've read.I'll have to give the Clough one a go.

There are so many good recommendations on this thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here