Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the best FOOTBALL book you have ever read ?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Only a game by Eamon Dunphy is a good read for a view of lower league football in the 70's

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

I enjoyed reading this, it's not really a who kicked the crap out of who hooligans book, but it's also not about some law abiding goody 2 shoes fans :smile:
Some good stories about fans blagging their way into matches.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I'm midway through...

9781408834367.jpg

Hatters, Railwaymen and Knitters (2013) by Daniel Gray

I'm not saying it's the greatest footie book I've ever read (that's probably Fever Pitch or Left Foot Forward) but it's a very enjoyable read

About Hatters, Railwaymen and Knitters

Daniel Gray is about to turn thirty. Like any sane person, his response is to travel to Luton, Crewe and Hinckley. After a decade's exile in Scotland, he sets out to reacquaint himself with England via what he considers its greatest asset: football.

Watching teams from the Championship (or Division Two as any right-minded person calls it) to the South West Peninsula Premier, and aimlessly walking around towns from Carlisle to Newquay, Gray paints a curious landscape forgotten by many. He discovers how the provinces made the England we know, from Teesside's role in the Empire to Luton's in our mongrel DNA. Moments in the histories of his teams come together to form football's narrative, starting with Sheffield pioneers and ending with fan ownership at Chester, and Gray shows how the modern game unifies an England in flux and dominates the places in which it is played.

Hatters, Railwaymen and Knitters is a wry and affectionate ramble through the wonderful towns and teams that make the country and capture its very essence. It is part-football book, part-travelogue and part-love letter to the bits of England that often get forgotten, celebrated here in all their blessed eccentricity.

Reviews

“Excellent” – David Conn, Guardian

“Gray writes like Lowry paints. Superb” – BBC Lancashire

“Like a footballing version of Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island” – Four Four Two

“A wryly-observed history lesson on lower league football and proper Englishness” – Loaded

“Among urban blight, his astute eye can pick out details that are funny, redeeming or both … Book of the Week” – Bradford Telegraph and Argus

“It is perhaps obvious to compare Gray to Nick Hornby given the subject matter, yet the comparisons stretch beyond a passion for football … Beautifully written, nostalgic and reflective, this will also appeal to fans of Simon Armitage, Stuart Maconie and Tim Moore” – Books with Bunny blog

“Superlative … The book is beautifully written; pessimistic and damning, yet joyful and full of love for the game … Wonderful” – When Saturday Comes

“A delight. It's the kind of book, filled with astute observations of small details, that might just convince the most confirmed football sceptic why football has such a place in our culture … a book to savour and to make you think” – New Statesman
- See more at: http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/hatters-railwaymen-and-knitters-9781408834367/#sthash.PNZbqu8K.dpuf

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Just started this again-lovely stuff!
alb.jpg

batch_91

Jul 14, 2012
Sheffield/Portslade
Vinnie Jones' autobiography is a fantastic read, written just at the end of his football career before Lock Stock came along.

Quite interesting, after also reading Gazza's, to hear them both tell the story after the famous testicle squeezing, Gazza sent Vinnie a bunch of flowers, Vinnie sent back the nearest thing to hand...a toilet brush.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Currently reading this...

View attachment 78649

Excellent read on how German football reinvented itself after stinking out Euro 2000.

Bit ott that isn't it? Surely, 'How German football had one bad tournament but then quickly re established itself as a World force' would be more appropriate?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Second Division. Division Two is the Third Division or League One.

I particularly enjoyed A Season with Verona (and both Garry Nelson books, obviously)
Agree on the Tim Parks book but what is now the Championship definitely used to be called Division Two (or League Division Two to give it its full title).

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Would highly recommend Dynamo by Andy Dougan- kind of a real life Escape to Victory

"In 1942, an event took place not on the battlefield but in a municipal stadium in Kiev. A match was arranged between a German Luftwaffe side and a team of impoverished Kievans from a local bakery. This is the true story of courage, team loyalty and fortitude in the face of brutal oppression."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dynamo by Andy Duggan is probably the best out there about the Dynamo Kiev team during the Nazi occupation in World War 2.

By far the best I've ever read (three times in fact) is Dynamo. Astonishing, heart breaking story.

Another nod to 'Dynamo', Andy Dougan

This thread has made me come over all EVANGELICAL, regarding Andy Dougan's book - Dynamo: Defending the honour of Kiev.

Seriously, it is an astonishing book. The only book in my life that I've read more than once*, and currently on Amazon for £0.01 (and £3 postage). I DEMAND that anyone who has not read it, seeks it out and does so. If you don't like it, I will personally refund you the cost (postage excluded)

Blurb:

Would highly recommend Dynamo by Andy Dougan- kind of a real life Escape to Victory

"In 1942, an event took place not on the battlefield but in a municipal stadium in Kiev. A match was arranged between a German Luftwaffe side and a team of impoverished Kievans from a local bakery. This is the true story of courage, team loyalty and fortitude in the face of brutal oppression."

That

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Genuine query: Has anybody on here actually forked out for the thoughts of Scouse philosopher Joseph Barton, apart from in the Pound Shop January Sale?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I vaguely recall Alan Hudson's Football Annual 1972, but have no idea where my copy went.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here