Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are your savings kept?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have worked in Treasury for 6 years for Financial Institutions, however not sure on legal side if I am allowed to run something like this. Dedicated broker could be the way to go.

Don't think there are any restrictions per se. I'm in financial services (compliance) as well

This looks a useful resource to get established in the right way - http://www.proshareclubs.co.uk/

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have worked in Treasury for 6 years for Financial Institutions, however not sure on legal side if I am allowed to run something like this. Dedicated broker could be the way to go.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the dedicated site, the main reason our last one folded was the admin just became too much. One other issue, as our numbers dwindled the amount of money to play with did too. You need to keep the monthly contribution down (ish) to allow more people in but you need sufficient to make meeting worthwhile. To keep interest a monthly meeting was good but we also did ring arounds if a particular stock looked good or bad.

We also ended up with some people having 6 or 7 times what others had invested but just one vote each, maybe the way forward is your vote is defind by your overall investment value at each given point?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the dedicated site, the main reason our last one folded was the admin just became too much. One other issue, as our numbers dwindled the amount of money to play with did too. You need to keep the monthly contribution down (ish) to allow more people in but you need sufficient to make meeting worthwhile. To keep interest a monthly meeting was good but we also did ring arounds if a particular stock looked good or bad.

We also ended up with some people having 6 or 7 times what others had invested but just one vote each, maybe the way forward is your vote is defind by your overall investment value at each given point?

Probably much simpler to have equal contributions ? Obviously means pitching at a level everyone is comfortable with but wouldn't half simplify things.......

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Probably much simpler to have equal contributions ? Obviously means pitching at a level everyone is comfortable with but wouldn't half simplify things.......

Agreed, and that's how we started out but then two things happened. The pot became big and new people didn't want to make a lumpy investment and we needed new members and also there has to be a mechanism for people to take their funds out, which also happened.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I'm going to send the OP my bank details and PIN number. I also might enter the Nigerian lottery. This'll have a happy ending.

As well as entering the Ugandan Lottery and won it. I have also been mis-sold a shit tonne of PPI and been involved in a road accident in the past 12 months... I really need to stop drinking...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed, and that's how we started out but then two things happened. The pot became big and new people didn't want to make a lumpy investment and we needed new members and also there has to be a mechanism for people to take their funds out, which also happened.

That's what always happens :lolol:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Savings? I'm 27 and live by myself in Brighton, any disposable income gets pissed up the wall on a Saturday 👍

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Unfortunately most of my savings are in UK savings accounts. In hindsight, I wish I'd transferred it all to Canada some time in early June.

Well, if you read the stickies on here, you might put £1000 into a Betfair account.......

Where one puts their money is quite personal but should be dependent on how much they have, how long they want to go without accessing it, how much tax you pay, how much risk they are willing to endure and what they are saving it for.

Anything short termish or unsure then one of the current accounts with a decent in credit interest rate. Most are reducing them but you can save up £20,000 with a 3% return, which reduces to a still competitive (although I admit crap) 1.5%

If you are saving for a house, then a help to buy ISA is the way to go as the 25% bonus the government will give will eclipse any interest rate on offer.

Premium bonds are great for higher rate tax payers as are tax free, 100% government backed and instant access (well within a few days) and the prize fund is based around an interest rate of 1.2%

Cash Isas have paltry returns at the moment and could be avoided, especially as you can earn up to £1000 (£500 if a higher rate tax payer) in regular savings. The counter argument to this is that rates wont be this low forever and if you don't take your allowance this year you will lose it. This is less of an issue thought now that the maximum you can put in an ISA is £20k, so only a fortunate few who can take advantage of this to the full.

Those are the low risk options, but remember, if your returns don't keep place with inflation you are losing out, so rather than being low risk, it's a guaranteed loss!

The higher risk options are generally only suitable if you can tie up your money for longer.

Investment ISA's enable you to invest in funds or individual shares. And then there are the peer to peer lenders. You can even access some of these via ISA's so avoiding the tax on income. The P2P market is still new though and we are yet to see how it would hold up in trickier financial times, so for me, I regard these are higher risk that stocks and shares.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
About two years ago a neighbour of mine kept going on about a company called Avesco and they have offices at Crawley. He was left some money ,about £150,000 and he put it all into their share. He has continuously topped up and now has all his money in about 200,000 share. The shares were about £1.25 and are now about £3.18.He has done very well s far. Mind you until you sell nothing is certain. I did buy a few myself and stuck them in an ISA as there is a good divi. Keep an eye on them.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Mine are with Octupus Choice as recommended by my Father in Law who is a Financial Advisor. I suppose I need to trust his judgement!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Used mine to buy a small second flat to rent out as my savings were getting feck all in ISA's and bonds. The rent I get covers the small mortgage and gives me about £300 extra income per month. In the year I've had this the value has risen by 10-15% depending on which estate agent you believe. Property is the way to go if you can get a deposit together especially with the interest rates being so low. The mortgage was surprisingly easy to get.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've opted for the mortgage route to saving, in essence bugger all in the bank but a pack of cards portfolio of flats, houses and an office in Hove, if it goes wrong i'm fooked ???

Wise man, property consistently outperforms all other investments, and you can drive past it and see it is still there unlike your pension!

Attachments

• Investment Graph.JPG
    Investment Graph.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 275

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Wise man, property consistently outperforms all other investments, and you can drive past it and see it is still there unlike your pension!

surprised at FTSE being so low....6% growth over 10 years?

Interested in the wider topic of making my savings do more so this idea of a savers group seems quite good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here