Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney DROPPED

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He certainly needs his captaincy taken away from him if the rest of his England days are more and more from the bench. If he had any pride he would quit international football.

Question is who should wear the armband next?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On the bench tomorrow, about time and Southgate not afraid to make the BIG decision it seems
About time, he's had his day, should've made the decision himself to retire gracefully from international duties.
There is no point in flogging a dead horse.
Sometimes I think he's only playing on longer (aka Beckham ), because of high profile sponsorship deals.
Well tough, give the youngsters a go.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
He certainly needs his captaincy taken away from him if the rest of his England days are more and more from the bench. If he had any pride he would quit international football.

Question is who should wear the armband next?

Is there a country more obsessed with the armband than England?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Feel sorry for the bloke.All attention is on him,picking up the slightest mistake.I don't think the sweat pouring off him was down to being unfit!
Hope Southgate will bring some of the younger players forward more,particularly my favourite,Rashford.

Agreed, it's not his fault he is no longer as good as he used to be, it's not his fault the England managers keep selecting him.. I'm shit but if the England manager asked me to play I wouldn't say no..

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
About time, he's had his day, should've made the decision himself to retire gracefully from international duties.
There is no point in flogging a dead horse.
Sometimes I think he's only playing on longer (aka Beckham ), because of high profile sponsorship deals.
Well tough, give the youngsters a go.

He did make the decision to retire but in TWO years time, at that point it should have been thanks and goodbye not LINGER on for two more years when he will be even WORSE. If he can't get first team football now what is he going to be like in TWO years time ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He did make the decision to retire but in TWO years time, at that point it should have been thanks and goodbye not LINGER on for two more years when he will be even WORSE. If he can't get first team football now what is he going to be like in TWO years time ?

And yet the likes of Carragher and Scholes got PELTERS for retiring early (and rightly so, IMO).

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I don't know tbh, but as it stands if a player has the armband you would expect them to be first on the team sheet not an obligation to play him.

Other countries just give it to the person with the most caps who is starting the game, so Joe Hart should have it.

We have actually named a vice-captain (surely a role more suited to Rooney...) Cahill and third captain - Hart, so Cahill will likely get it next.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Like boxers, footballers age at different rates. Mike Tyson was devastating in his early 20's, but in his 30's he wasn't the same fighter.

George Foreman won the heavyweight championship in his late 40's, yet Nassem Hamed was finished in his mid 20's. Ronaldo is a similar age to Rooney, but has aged a lot better, even though when they were playing with each other a number of years ago, there was not much difference in their standard of play.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Like boxers, footballers age at different rates. Mike Tyson was devastating in his early 20's, but in his 30's he wasn't the same fighter.

George Foreman won the heavyweight championship in his late 40's, yet Nassem Hamed was finished in his mid 20's. Ronaldo is a similar age to Rooney, but has aged a lot better, even though when they were playing with each other a number of years ago, there was not much difference in their standard of play.

All about lifestyles, Tyson was running riot in his teens and not training after he met Robin Given and was an accident about to happen, Rooney has hardly looked after himself physically unlike Ronaldo who has sat at home knitting with his Mum and treating his body like a temple.

Guess whose career has been the best and the longest ? Not rocket science is it ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There was a 30 second phase in the first half that summed up Rooney for me. Based around the center circle with Malta camped in their half, he played what should have been two very simple passes to Kyle Walker on the right. The first one, he played 10 yards behind Walker and stopped all flow there, Walker had to sprint to stop it going out for a throw in. The next pass he again over hits it, but this time in front of Walker, again resulting in the ball almost going out of play when in reality it should have been a simple pass.

Two simple, basic passes, both executed so badly.

You could argue that about a number of players.

Brave decision by Southgate or bullied by the media?

Rooney may well be on borrowed time, but there are quite a few in that squad who rarely turn up for England.

It speaks volumes that the vice captain are Cahill, who has been poor this season or Hart who is a disaster waiting to happen.

I would go as far as saying this is one of the worst England squads that I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You could argue that about a number of players.

Brave decision by Southgate or bullied by the media?

Rooney may well be on borrowed time, but there are quite a few in that squad who rarely turn up for England.

It speaks volumes that the vice captain are Cahill, who has been poor this season or Hart who is a disaster waiting to happen.

I would go as far as saying this is one of the worst England squads that I can remember.

Disregarding what Guardiola thinks Hart is one of the best keepers in the world still and the best that Man City have on thier books IMHO. He has made mistakes but tell me a keeper who hasnt and how long did Spain continue playing Casillas when he was well past his best.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Disregarding what Guardiola thinks Hart is one of the best keepers in the world still and the best that Man City have on thier books IMHO. He has made mistakes but tell me a keeper who hasnt and how long did Spain continue playing Casillas when he was well past his best.

Sorry BG he isn't even in the top 5 in the premier league.

He doesn't command his box, makes routine saves look spectacular and makes too many errors for a top class goalie.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And yet the likes of Carragher and Scholes got PELTERS for retiring early (and rightly so, IMO).

Shearer too, all to extend their domestic careers. To make matters worse we have the benefit on him on MoTD every Saturday.

Rooney's not great at present, but I can't think of half a dozen England players who are substantially better than him to play up front/second striker/midfield etc.

Henderson is a water carrier, Dier a willing runner, Lingard we all saw at the Albion can spot a blind alley from 40 yards, Kane was anonymous in France during the summer and so on.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It was the right call to drop him from the starting XI tomorrow. Eric Dier, when fit, should be starting as the shielding midfielder in that side.

It shouldn't necessarily be the end though and surely it is a good thing that a player will continue to make himself available for international duty. There are several players that have withdrawn themselves from selection at a relatively early age when they still had plenty to give.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Talksport reporting rumours that Rooney is about to announce his international retirement after this game.

Rooney is our captain,and in the squad.If he cuts and run before the the world cup,then he is up there among the likes of Ashley Giles,who gave up during an Ashes encounter........!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All about lifestyles, Tyson was running riot in his teens and not training after he met Robin Given and was an accident about to happen, Rooney has hardly looked after himself physically unlike Ronaldo who has sat at home knitting with his Mum and treating his body like a temple.

Guess whose career has been the best and the longest ? Not rocket science is it ?

It's the same with you running the ARS. Can still abseil into Dick TIGHT's padded seat from the top of the North Stand like an Exocet missile.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Really don't understand the anti-Rooney approach and the booing. he is not as good as he was but looking at the squad I don't thing any of the others are much better. We don't have anyone that can run with the ball and beat players. On Saturday few of the forwards shoiwed any real running off the ball. Most found themselves in the wrong place i.e. NOT in the box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here