Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Bathroom design services and fitting

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Why are you throwing insults around? If you are happy with a 'value' job then I am very happy for you. I can honestly say that my bathroom was worth every penny and that I am really going to miss a quality power shower when I move into temporary accommodation in the next few days. I have also already investigated buying the same brand of shower for my new home on the other side of the world.

But if you like having a wash in the kitchen sink like Steptoe then feel free.
Christ who pissed in your cheerios this morning

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just had an on-suite shower room re-done about 6 months ago. Sourced it all myself and then had plumber/tiler fitted it. From memory, major costs were :

2.15 metre run of cupboards incl toilet and basin - 1K
Walk in Power shower (2 heads incl raindrop ?) curved basin 950 x 1400, big bit of curved glass (no seat !) - 2K
25 sq M tiles - 750.

Additional items - plumbing bits, heated towel rail, adhesive, grout etc

I guess it would be possible for 5K, but you might have to get a bit more involved yourself. And I thought I had got a real bargain on porcelain tiles until the tiler said 'you've bought WHAT ? :censored: ' - Gather they are a little awkward to cut :shrug:

*edit* Forgot + Flooring

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Why are you throwing insults around? If you are happy with a 'value' job then I am very happy for you. I can honestly say that my bathroom was worth every penny and that I am really going to miss a quality power shower when I move into temporary accommodation in the next few days. I have also already investigated buying the same brand of shower for my new home on the other side of the world.

But if you like having a wash in the kitchen sink like Steptoe then feel free.

With great respect woody 90% of our customers are on a much smaller budget.
I would say that our average price for a complete bathroom refurbishment including tiling/flooring/big walk in shower/vanity unit/wc unit etc. would be around £4000 including materials and depending how complicated the plumbing is.
A lot of customers source their own sanitary ware - buy it despite some of it not being suitable for their property.
We then have to work out how to get over their mistakes.
The glossy brochures never show pipe-work and always show the top price scenario.

The latest one we have to do in Seaford is going to cost around £5000 which includes knocking a wall out :eek:

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just had an on-suite shower room re-done about 6 months ago. Sourced it all myself and then had plumber/tiler fitted it. From memory, major costs were :

2.15 metre run of cupboards incl toilet and basin - 1K
Walk in Power shower (2 heads incl raindrop ?) curved basin 950 x 1400, big bit of curved glass (no seat !) - 2K
25 sq M tiles - 750.

Additional items - plumbing bits, heated towel rail, adhesive, grout etc

I guess it would be possible for 5K, but you might have to get a bit more involved yourself. And I thought I had got a real bargain on porcelain tiles until the tiler said 'you've bought WHAT ? :censored: ' - Gather they are a little awkward to cut :shrug:

*edit* Forgot + Flooring

Porcelain tiles are also a challenge to drill into.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I would say that our average price for a complete bathroom refurbishment including tiling/flooring/big walk in shower/vanity unit/wc unit etc. would be around £4000 including materials and depending how complicated the plumbing is.
A lot of customers source their own sanitary ware - buy it despite some of it not being suitable for their property.
The glossy brochures never show pipe-work and always show the top price scenario.

The latest one we have to do in Seaford is going to cost around £5000 which includes knocking a wall out :eek:

Seems to me - from experience - that all the vast majority of customers want, whether it be bathrooms, kitchens, carpeting, driveways etc. is for the finished article to look appreciably better than what was there before, and to feel that they've got value for money. Always going to be daft fvckers who splash the cash around and just about convince themselves it was worth it, but each to their own eh? Personally I'll always opt for the budget good guys who come with a personal recommendation.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I've just priced a job where the customer has sourced all the sanitary ware, shower and heated towel rail.
The towel rail is a bit small in my opinion, but the sales person told them it's small because it goes halfway up the wall and the pipes have to be chased into the wall.
I asked the customer why they didn't buy a taller towel rail, they said because of the price.
I told them the extra cost for chasing the pipes into the wall, pipes and plastering will outweigh the cost of a larger towel rail.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I've just priced a job where the customer has sourced all the sanitary ware, shower and heated towel rail.
The towel rail is a bit small in my opinion, but the sales person told them it's small because it goes halfway up the wall and the pipes have to be chased into the wall.
I asked the customer why they didn't buy a taller towel rail, they said because of the price.
I told them the extra cost for chasing the pipes into the wall, pipes and plastering will outweigh the cost of a larger towel rail.

You are a man after my own heart Mr bn9 bha.
I spend hours talking to prospective customers and sending detailed estimates only for them to be talked into complicated sanitary ware by 'Bathroom Shops'
They then expect us to install it for the same price.

I ONLY GIVE ESTIMATES due to this :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You are a man after my own heart Mr bn9 bha.
I spend hours talking to prospective customers and sending detailed estimates only for them to be talked into complicated sanitary ware by 'Bathroom Shops'
They then expect us to install it for the same price.

I ONLY GIVE ESTIMATES due to this :thumbsup:

Some of these bathroom sales people have very little knowledge of the products.
High pressure taps and showers sold to customers with low pressure systems.
Expensive pop up bath wastes sold that go wrong in no time at all, a quality waste plug and chain does the same job.
But these sales people fail to sell the customer essential items like basin wastes and fixing bolts for the basin.

I probably didn't have to tell you all of that :)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Expensive pop up bath wastes sold that go wrong in no time at all, a quality waste plug and chain does the same job.
But these sales people fail to sell the customer essential items like basin wastes and fixing bolts for the basin.

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

We must meet up and have another 'get it off your chest moment':wink:

Jul 7, 2016

Surely it makes sense in cheaper areas like seafood, peace haven, Newhaven etc people's budget will be lower. If they had much bigger budgets, you would imagine they would live in more expensive areas. Not being a snob just economic facts

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You can get a complete bathroom for £5k fitted but will look budget. if u want it to look really good, fully tiled walls and floors and shower head built into the ceiling with tap controls fitted into the wall, moulded double sink with stone work surfaces on top of the vanity unit and good quality in trend taps etc you will need to spend nearer £15-20,000.

Reason I know cos I've just had three new bathrooms fitted in my house ! £50,000 later. Spent a lot on Italian porcelain tiles

And another point, why have a double sink? ( It's a basin, did I mention that ? )
If you have 3 bathrooms in your house surely 2 people don't need to wash/ clean teeth or whatever in the same room at the same time.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Surely it makes sense in cheaper areas like seafood, peace haven, Newhaven etc people's budget will be lower. If they had much bigger budgets, you would imagine they would live in more expensive areas. Not being a snob just economic facts

Do you mean Seaford? seafood is something you eat.
You obviously know nothing about the town, there are some very big expensive houses there.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Seems to me - from experience - that all the vast majority of customers want, whether it be bathrooms, kitchens, carpeting, driveways etc. is for the finished article to look appreciably better than what was there before, and to feel that they've got value for money. Always going to be daft fvckers who splash the cash around and just about convince themselves it was worth it, but each to their own eh? Personally I'll always opt for the budget good guys who come with a personal recommendation.

aye....mine definitely looks less awful having had parts of my kitchen done recently

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here