Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Bathroom design services and fitting

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have always called the sink in the bathroom a sink ??? Never realised it was such a faux pas.

My friends mum has a downstairs toilet that is about 2 metres long and 1 metre wide. She was charged 5k to have the walls and floor tiles, they were expensive tiles but she got right taken on.

Do you know how much she paid for the tiles or was it supply and fit?
Sounds very expensive.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Do you know how much she paid for the tiles or was it supply and fit?
Sounds very expensive.

She reckons they were 2.5k, but I don't even believe that. He supplied them.
He did paint the ceiling though :rolleyes:

I have just recently sorted out her roof as she had a leak. She also wanted a new fascia board, guttering at the front and a new downpipe. I got five quotes in total ranging from 7.5k down to £650(including materials). It just goes to show how many chancers there are.

Two companies told me the felt had gone and all needed replacing, but I knew that was bollocks. Unbelievable really how many crooks there are about. Another bloke turned up, got out of his van and looked up at the roof and quoted £3600 plus vat and then went. I couldn't stop laughing, he never even got up on the roof.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
She reckons they were 2.5k, but I don't even believe that. He supplied them.
He did paint the ceiling though :rolleyes:

I have just recently sorted out her roof as she had a leak. She also wanted a new fascia board, guttering at the front and a new downpipe. I got five quotes in total ranging from 7.5k down to £650(including materials). It just goes to show how many chancers there are.

Two companies told me the felt had gone and all needed replacing, but I knew that was bollocks. Unbelievable really how many crooks there are about. Another bloke turned up, got out of his van and looked up at the roof and quoted £3600 plus vat and then went. I couldn't stop laughing, he never even got up on the roof.

I've just got a price from a professional wall tiler for a shower cubical with 3 walls on one of my jobs.
Supply tiles, adhesive, grout ,plastic trim and the labour, total is £450, not expensive tiles but I've used this tiler many times and his work is very good.

I had my fascia, soffits, gutters and rainwater pipes changed last year, didn't get quoted as much as 7.5k but one quote was double what I paid. I also had a scribbled on an envelope quote and that was from a proper company with an office and workshop.

I had a very good installer that kept to the price quoted and did a first class job.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I've just got a price from a professional wall tiler for a shower cubical with 3 walls on one of my jobs.
Supply tiles, adhesive, grout ,plastic trim and the labour, total is £450, not expensive tiles but I've used this tiler many times and his work is very good.

I had my fascia, soffits, gutters and rainwater pipes changed last year, didn't get quoted as much as 7.5k but one quote was double what I paid. I also had a scribbled on an envelope quote and that was from a proper company with an office and workshop.

I had a very good installer that kept to the price quoted and did a first class job.

I used to work on building sites so lots ask me to sort out jobs for them so they don't get taken on, I even still do a few myself. One of the funniest things I have seen is the fence that was put up but had three wooden supports in next door's garden that was the only thing holding the bloody thing up, the same blokes brother charged her 2k to paint her hall(it is a three storey house) but sanded down nothing and it's terrible.
Another woman paid 12.5k for a kitchen that is beyond terrible, amazing how many chancers are out there. She took him to court and won but has never received a penny as he has no assets.
Someone else is having a garage built by eastern Europeans, he got a knock on the door from an irate neighbour as they were chucking all the shite they dug up over his garden. I know all these sound far fetched but they are genuine.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I used to work on building sites so lots ask me to sort out jobs for them so they don't get taken on, I even still do a few myself. One of the funniest things I have seen is the fence that was put up but had three wooden supports in next door's garden that was the only thing holding the bloody thing up, the same blokes brother charged her 2k to paint her hall(it is a three storey house) but sanded down nothing and it's terrible.
Another woman paid 12.5k for a kitchen that is beyond terrible, amazing how many chancers are out there. She took him to court and won but has never received a penny as he has no assets.

Funny how many of these chancers seem to be members of Checkatrade, I know of someone that got stitched up like the lady you mention above with the kitchen.
Checkatrade did nothing to back up this lady but the installer carried on advertising on Checkatrade.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Funny how many of these chancers seem to be members of Checkatrade, I know of someone that got stitched up like the lady you mention above with the kitchen.
Checkatrade did nothing to back up this lady but the installer carried on advertising on Checkatrade.

I have read of people being banned from checkatrade and then reappearing with all their bad feedback gone. Also it's hard to find anyone on there with bad feedback. At the end of the day if checkatrade published all this bad feedback then the site would no longer be trusted and they would go elsewhere. It's in checkatrades interest to sweep it under the carpet.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I have read of people being banned from checkatrade and then reappearing with all their bad feedback gone. Also it's hard to find anyone on there with bad feedback. At the end of the day if checkatrade published all this bad feedback then the site would no longer be trusted and they would go elsewhere. It's in checkatrades interest to sweep it under the carpet.
Never used it as always presumed it was as reliable as tripadvisor for restaurants. Word of mouth, always.

Oh and if Not nick rhodes has ever seen £50k let alone spent it on bathrooms then I'm Donald Trump's syrup. What a total prick.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

cos the labourers need to generate checkatrade's slice ???:whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here