Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Directly? or Indirectly? the latter then yes....is my understanding.....that said they underwrite other financial service sectors that do directly lend to companies such as Ford,finally the funding for the EIB comes from?

I don't know, but I would suspect both.

As a bank the EIB must be capitalised even if it utilises debt instruments and the wholesale banking markets to raise its capital. So, notwithstanding the fact that the EU states (or should I say their taxpayers) stand behind the EIB as a lender of last resort, I would be amazed if those EU states did not initially capitalise the bank to get it started at the very least.

I could be wrong of course there are much cleverer pro EU people on here than me and no doubt they will be along shortly to explain that NO EU taxpayers money is tied up in the EIB.

Let's wait and see..........

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So a debate within the cabinet is not permitted, and everyone must follow what May says or else. Wow this really is getting our country back.

No doubt you also disagreed with Hammond when he said no one voted to be poorer given that you don;t want him talking about Brexit unless it is to say Yes Prime Minister

Of course debate is permitted, don't be so melodramatic. May is the leader that is leading us out of the EU, she took the job on after Cameron resigned knowing that she was in charge of taking the country out of the EU.
So Hammond has been made Chancellor, again he knew the situation, so he should be supporting the Brexit, seems to me that because he supported Remain then maybe the job of Chancellor should have been given to someone more neutral or more inclined to support what the majority voted for.
I actually hope that May is pushed by pro Brexit mp's because she does seem to be wavering a bit, so NO i do not want any "Yes Prime Minister"........ so your assumption and your stating "No doubt you also" is putting your spin on how you like to perceive what i feel.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't know, but I would suspect both.

As a bank the EIB must be capitalised even if it utilises debt instruments and the wholesale banking markets to raise its capital. So, notwithstanding the fact that the EU states (or should I say their taxpayers) stand behind the EIB as a lender of last resort, I would be amazed if those EU states did not initially capitalise the bank to get it started at the very least.

I could be wrong of course there are much cleverer pro EU people on here than me and no doubt they will be along shortly to explain that NO EU taxpayers money is tied up in the EIB.

Let's wait and see..........

tax payers money will be in there somewhere... as day follows night

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I feel like all of these are examples of multinational businesses moving their manufacturing bases to wherever is the most beneficial for them rather than a dastardly EU plot to strip the UK of our factories, as you seem to be saying. It is something that would undoubtedly continue regardless of whether we are inside or outside of the EU. A symptom of the globalised world we live in.

In which case with a cheap competitive currency and cheap labour we can expect the UK to be a success post Brexit. If Ford are moving out of the EU to build cars for export into the EU in Turkey what are the pissy pant remainers worried about?

You might not think it's a darstedly plot however why an EU institution like the EiB would financially support a multinational company to move its manufacturing from the EU to outside the EU is a mystery no?

If it looks like a darstedly plot and walks like a darstedly plot.......

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
In which case with a cheap competitive currency and cheap labour we can expect the UK to be a success post Brexit. If Ford are moving out of the EU to build cars for export into the EU in Turkey what are the pissy pant remainers worried about?

You might not think it's a darstedly plot however why an EU institution like the EiB would financially support a multinational company to move its manufacturing from the EU to outside the EU is a mystery no?

If it looks like a darstedly plot and walks like a darstedly plot.......

Good post

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
In the context of this thread and reference to the thousands of Ford redundancies due to production being moved to a Turkish plant paid for with EU taxpayers money, I think it's easy to understand why people affected by this decision or who understand it would want to vote out.

I too find it easy to understand why the few thousand affected by the decision would want to vote out however, that doesn't account for the additional many millions who also voted out. Naturally you're adopting your trademark "cherry-picked" information posited to support your 2D black and white picture; reality is far more complex. Let's add a few more colourful brush strokes by recognising EU taxpayers money is used to stimulate growth and develop jobs throughout the member states, even in the UK.

Far from protecting EU jobs, the EU is evidently keen to see EU jobs pass to a non EU country.

So, your confirmation bias against the EU has already been exposed in relation to the totality of the brexit vote but now you're taking it a stage further by using the Ford redundancies to suggest it's indicative of EU policy to export jobs rather than protect them. Surely you can see that as simplistic, flabby "logic".

Hard to believe, but that is what happened...........feel free to explain why those Ford workers would vote remain?

Overto you...

Yes, hard to believe indeed.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I too find it easy to understand why the few thousand affected by the decision would want to vote out however, that doesn't account for the additional many millions who also voted out. Naturally you're adopting your trademark "cherry-picked" information posited to support your 2D black and white picture; reality is far more complex. Let's add a few more colourful brush strokes by recognising EU taxpayers money is used to stimulate growth and develop jobs throughout the member states, even in the UK.

So, your confirmation bias against the EU has already been exposed in relation to the totality of the brexit vote but now you're taking it a stage further by using the Ford redundancies to suggest it's indicative of EU policy to export jobs rather than protect them. Surely you can see that as simplistic, flabby "logic".

What a load of verbal effluent.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
True Colours.

""EU leaders made Theresa May wait until 1am to deliver her message that Britain will not change its mind about Brexit – and gave her just five minutes to speak, before ignoring her speech at a European Council dinner in Brussels.

The Prime Minister was made to wait until “long after the waiters were waiting to clear the dishes away”, one observer said."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-wait-until-1am-brussels-dinner-a7373076.html

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Sure, I am biased, but let's not deceive ourselves that you are a paragon of neutrality.

These colourful broad brush strokes about how money from the EU is used to stimulate you refer too are a familiar narrative, however whilst I don't doubt that there is some truth I refuse to accept it is an unequivocal force for good.

There is also fantastic waste, whether via CAP, the unnecessary egotistical space programme projects, the moving between Strasbourg and Brussels etc. All aspects the myopic remainers wave aside as a price worth paying by UK taxpayers.

This inexplicable decision by the EIB to lend money to Ford is far from just an EU issue, it must have been approved no doubt by the EU Govts, including the UK's.

That is why it is so depressing........none of the f*ckers can be trusted........but at least with the right kind of Brexit the U.K. Govt won't be able hide this kind of shit from UK voters once we are out the EU.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
True Colours.

""EU leaders made Theresa May wait until 1am to deliver her message that Britain will not change its mind about Brexit – and gave her just five minutes to speak, before ignoring her speech at a European Council dinner in Brussels.

The Prime Minister was made to wait until “long after the waiters were waiting to clear the dishes away”, one observer said."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-wait-until-1am-brussels-dinner-a7373076.html

Are they not just doing what they said they would?

They have made it pretty clear they are not going to discuss anything till we start the two year timer.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not surprised they couldn't be arsed to listen

"Yes yes love, we know all this, get on with it"

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Something to do with Germany being an extremely productive economy, which is not based around a single key economic centre. As the economic powerhouse of Europe it also has a lot of sway in negotiations over it's current account.

You make it sound like it's all beer and sausage, however whilst Germany's economy is strong it's not helping its struggling eurozone peers.

In fact, as I am sure you are aware it's trade surplus is currently at levels not allowed under the EZ fiscal rules, but then when have economic rules been important to the EU?

In the meantime of course those countries struggling can go take a running jump.

http://www.dw.com/en/italian-pm-renzi-lashes-out-at-german-trade-surplus/a-36114853

Yep, all is well in the EU........no troubles, no danger.

Gut nacht kamerad.

D

Deleted member 22389

Are they not just doing what they said they would?

They have made it pretty clear they are not going to discuss anything till we start the two year timer.

Who needs to be working with people like this, glad we left. They are not speaking for the European people, they are only speaking for a select group of highly paid bureaucrats and politicians who don't like the fact that somebody has finally said no to them. At the core of this organisation these people are a bunch of bullies who will never admit their own faults. They have ruined the quality of life for millions of normal Europeans because of their austerity measures and uncontrolled migration. One flag, one set of rules with no deviation or we face consequences, sounds like more of a dictatorship not one of friendly co-operation. The EU don't own me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Who needs to be working with people like this, glad we left. They are not speaking for the European people, they are only speaking for a select group of highly paid bureaucrats and politicians who don't like the fact that somebody has finally said no to them. At the core of this organisation these people are a bunch of bullies who will never admit their own faults. They have ruined the quality of life for millions of normal Europeans because of their austerity measures and uncontrolled migration. One flag, one set of rules with no deviation or we face consequences, sounds like more of a dictatorship not one of friendly co-operation. The EU don't own me.

Exactly.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Taken to a "potential" illogical conclusion,63 million,or was that the 17 million majority-might-bring down the EU....or make it unworkable also.
All EU states have a right to participate as a member, or leave the EU. It's a fundamental right. Or do you think otherwise? Were we to continue in our membership of the EU, I would imagine we'd be enthusiastic for a deal with Canada. It makes sense.

There is still a small chance the deal can be rescued but the problems highlight the difficulty of reaching unanimity with 28 competing states.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here