Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
These complete coincidences are coming thick and fast now ???

Record number of firms quit in latest blow to Square Mile​

The number of companies listed on the London stock market dropped by a record amount last year in the latest blow to the City. At the end of 2023 there were 1,836 firms quoted on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) with a combined value of £3.5trillion, according to data from fintech firm XTB. This was down on the previous year, when the exchange had 1,954 listed firms worth £3.7trillion.

The peak for listings came in 2013 when 2,448 firms made up the exchange with a combined value of £4.3trillion. But the highest market cap was in 2016 when the LSE had 2,267 listed businesses worth nearly £4.6trillion.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...umber-firms-quit-latest-blow-Square-Mile.html

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
These complete coincidences are coming thick and fast now ???

Record number of firms quit in latest blow to Square Mile​

The number of companies listed on the London stock market dropped by a record amount last year in the latest blow to the City. At the end of 2023 there were 1,836 firms quoted on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) with a combined value of £3.5trillion, according to data from fintech firm XTB. This was down on the previous year, when the exchange had 1,954 listed firms worth £3.7trillion.

The peak for listings came in 2013 when 2,448 firms made up the exchange with a combined value of £4.3trillion. But the highest market cap was in 2016 when the LSE had 2,267 listed businesses worth nearly £4.6trillion.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...umber-firms-quit-latest-blow-Square-Mile.html
Stop talking the country down, believe in Britain, farmers and fishermen will make up the losses in the city, or maybe steelworkers, or, maybe we will just have a f***ing war with Russia.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Non-tariff barriers kick in this Thursday on many imported food stuffs from the EU from tinned fish to chorizo sausage. Higher prices and yet more food inflation coming....

So did Johnson not understand his own deal or was he just lying to everyone?

Add it to Labour's to do list, try and get a veterinary agreement

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Non-tariff barriers kick in this Thursday on many imported food stuffs from the EU from tinned fish to chorizo sausage. Higher prices and yet more food infation coming....

So did Johnson not understand his own deal or was he just lying to everyone?

Add it to Labour's to do list, try and get a veterinary agreement

He was lying obviously.
It's what he does

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I dunno man, this Brexit thing is starting to sound like it was a bad idea

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
These are professional ****s
The towers is too good for them they should be stoned in public.

I’ve got two points, 2 flats amd a packet of gravel ready.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As a friend of mine puts it quite succinctly - Contemptuous, Unprincipled, Narcissistic, Tory ,
Swindlers.
This just gold from Moggy whining about checks on imports checks that will drive up costs, does he want Brexit or not?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bizarre. I thought he wanted a bonfire of EU regulations and to take back control.

I don't remember him praising EU regulations before the Brexit vote.
As things stand UK producers are at a huge disadvantage having to comply with full checks but EU imports no checks.

So in his world, if they have some EU farmer has agricultural product which is substandard just ship it to the UK, they don't care about their local industry.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
As things stand UK producers are at a huge disadvantage having to comply with full checks but EU imports no checks.

So in his world, if they have some EU farmer has agricultural product which is substandard just ship it to the UK, they don't care about their local industry.

Exactly. As has been proved by Brexit itself, we’ll swallow ANYTHING.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Exactly. As has been proved by Brexit itself, we’ll swallow ANYTHING.
Any normal person who knows they're being economical with the truth would lie low when found out. But not these people, they have the brass neck to now tell us the consequences of Brexit are actually now self harm.

That's what they teach you at Eton, talk any shite in a authoritative posh accent and the plebs will buy it

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was hilarious listening to the reprogrammed Angela Leadsome....apparently everybody knew it would cost more in time, money and paperwork to trade with the EU post brexit despite on the record statements from her that there would be no barriers or hindrance to trade as the EU needed us more than we needed them !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Where's JC Footy Genius, Pastafarian, Chicken Run etc when you need them? I am sure they would make out a case that it was a great idea.....

There were a few posters desperate for the ignore thread option. If I can't see it, it didn't happen, so I can't be responsible :wink:

I notice they are appearing on the other political threads moaning about the cabal we now have in charge as a result though :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not wishing to start a new thread.....does the new NI deal not mean that Ulster now has an open border with mainland UK and an open border with the EU (Eire)? If so, how have they persuaded the EU to accept free movement of goods and people at absolutely no cost? If it is this easy there was no need for Brexit, surely?.

So what's the catch? If I get no sensible replies I may start a separate thread.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not wishing to start a new thread.....does the new NI deal not mean that Ulster now has an open border with mainland UK and an open border with the EU (Eire)? If so, how have they persuaded the EU to accept free movement of goods and people at absolutely no cost? If it is this easy there was no need for Brexit, surely?.

So what's the catch? If I get no sensible replies I may start a separate thread.
From what I’ve seen, and I’m not an expert, it seems to be part of a loosening around certain goods of EU restrictions plus clearer labelling of NI only products, but it’s not a completely open border (it suits people to pretend it is).

As for people, slightly different as the Common Travel Area already exists between the UK and Ireland.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

No, there will be checks, the DUP have caved in essentially, it's thought to be largely just a reworded agreement so they can claim it isn't the original deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here