Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The reply you are quoting was that "The next time, if nothing much has altered, you need a more decisive figure". I would say that the dissolving of the EC and its replacement by the EU, a political and unionist body, was a significant alteration.
The EC wasn't dissolved. You have believed the lies of the Brexit campaign. Even they said nobody was talking about leaving the Single Market.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One thing I despise - even from the great and the good that live in Brighton - is the attitude of "I'm glad I'm not prejudiced like all those northern people". Wouldn't it be better to have one board for sensible discussion and another for random abuse?

Goodbye. I will log off for a few days in hopes that the board calms down and learns how to be tolerant. Tolerance is a good thing, don't you think?
I'm married to a Yorkshireman who feels exactly the same way as me. Leeds and Newcastle both voted Remain so stop acting like a victim and blaming north/south divides because it doesn't wash.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As a mod I have to be much nicer than Simster, but, honestly, the mental gymnastics needed to get to your original point and this reply are in Nadia Comăneci territory.

"Nothing much has altered"? Since the 2016 referendum the whole planet has been altered by a pandemic and two large scale wars, the country has seen three unelected prime ministers, the latest of whom has less support that Rochdale's away following, a leading Brexiteer Prime Minister has broken the law of the land, Northern Ireland doesn't have a government, Nigel Farage has been de-banked, people's mortgages, food and heating have trebled and still the little rubber boats keep coming at an even greater rate.

What would it take for you? A nuclear bomb?
Lol ..its never stopped you before 😂

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Talking about fixing the U.K. without mentioning rejoining the EU is like talking about putting out a forest fire and not mentioning water

We need to rejoin to survive. Simple as that.

The leader who takes us back into full EU membership will be hailed as the leader who saved the U.K.

Until someone has the balls to take us back in, we have zero hope of ever being a legitimate power in the world.

No vote. No referendum. Just someone with a spine who says “we’re going back in because it’s the right thing to do”.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm out working in Barcelona at the moment. Been here for a long weekend. What a beautiful city.

I'm staying with family who live here so I get to see what it's like to live here. It is wonderful. I really do wonder whether we realise how far behind we are falling. I think not. I think we're insulated from how so much of our infrastructure and local services are becoming tier 2.

And we constantly let our leaders pull the wool over our eyes. We should be so much angrier.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm out working in Barcelona at the moment. Been here for a long weekend. What a beautiful city.

I'm staying with family who live here so I get to see what it's like to live here. It is wonderful. I really do wonder whether we realise how far behind we are falling. I think not. I think we're insulated from how so much of our infrastructure and local services are becoming tier 2.

And we constantly let our leaders pull the wool over our eyes. We should be so much angrier.
The U.K. is becoming a £shop N. Korea.

Much of mainland Europe has lapped UK many times over in terms of living standards, wages, pensions, health care, transport and infrastructure, culture, venues, etc.

I was in Copenhagen last year. Just streets ahead of grotty old U.K. where nurses are visiting food banks and children go hungry.

And we are told all Europe does is punish the U.K. for leaving the EU and send over criminal migrants .

I have never been happier to be Irish and have the passport to prove it.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Talking about fixing the U.K. without mentioning rejoining the EU is like talking about putting out a forest fire and not mentioning water

We need to rejoin to survive. Simple as that.

The leader who takes us back into full EU membership will be hailed as the leader who saved the U.K.

Until someone has the balls to take us back in, we have zero hope of ever being a legitimate power in the world.

No vote. No referendum. Just someone with a spine who says “we’re going back in because it’s the right thing to do”.
unfortunately it's not as simple as that, the EU would have to vote to allow the UK to rejoin and it would probably be on their terms not our's OR we could create a new relationship similar to Switzerland, we cannot join EFTA as they wouldn't let us in, it is specific to those nations. The idea we can just walk back in is pie in the sky i'm afraid

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The U.K. is becoming a £shop N. Korea.

Much of mainland Europe has lapped UK many times over in terms of living standards, wages, pensions, health care, transport and infrastructure, culture, venues, etc.

I was in Copenhagen last year. Just streets ahead of grotty old U.K. where nurses are visiting food banks and children go hungry.

And we are told all Europe does is punish the U.K. for leaving the EU and send over criminal migrants .

I have never been happier to be Irish and have the passport to prove it.

Scandinavia has for generations now been ahead of the rest. I'd live there, my son and his girlfriend plan to.

Austria, Germany, Netherlands tick those boxes too imho.

But I don't get that feeling of immaculate perfection in many other continental countries. We shouldn't generalise. Literally millions of ethnic Africans live in vast sink estates in the suburbs of France. Next to no chance of ever working, loathed by racist whites, in a quasi war with the police.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
unfortunately it's not as simple as that, the EU would have to vote to allow the UK to rejoin and it would probably be on their terms not our's OR we could create a new relationship similar to Switzerland, we cannot join EFTA as they wouldn't let us in, it is specific to those nations. The idea we can just walk back in is pie in the sky i'm afraid
Almost as if Brexit was created irreversible damage to our country isn't it?

But still... at least those euro fat cats and dinghys and things or something....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Correct. We'll need our own EFTA-style arrangement that runs alongside EFTA. No way the EU will let us back in for at least a decade from the point we realign. Too much disruption and uncertainty.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Correct. We'll need our own EFTA-style arrangement that runs alongside EFTA. No way the EU will let us back in for at least a decade from the point we realign. Too much disruption and uncertainty.

It'll be full EU entry, probably on our part in the parliament after next, whilst sounding out the EU.

The other potential spanner is by how much Hard Left disrupters are able to screw Starmer's term. In terms of dampening the right wing vote in say the 2028 GE.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
One thing I despise - even from the great and the good that live in Brighton - is the attitude of "I'm glad I'm not prejudiced like all those northern people". Wouldn't it be better to have one board for sensible discussion and another for random abuse?

Goodbye. I will log off for a few days in hopes that the board calms down and learns how to be tolerant. Tolerance is a good thing, don't you think?

If you're trying to distance yourself from some of the things you've posted on this thread, you may find this new feature a better alternative. I know a couple of other prolific contributors who've since been embarrassed by their postings on here have :thumbsup:

https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/new-feature-ignore-threads.404311/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here