Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You have beaten me down by the intelligence of your discussion.
Your argument deserves little more.

But if we must dance..

You’re essentially saying it was okay to have a such a small majority win when it meant we leave but you wouldn’t abide by the same minority win of it meant we rejoin.

You wrote that you see why people feel differently but it was ultimately the right way to go about it.

Without giving any reason.

As I wrote, utter drivel.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
If you have nothing to say, then why not say it?
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
your own insular echo chamber full of northern mill town thickets.
One thing I despise - even from the great and the good that live in Brighton - is the attitude of "I'm glad I'm not prejudiced like all those northern people". Wouldn't it be better to have one board for sensible discussion and another for random abuse?

Goodbye. I will log off for a few days in hopes that the board calms down and learns how to be tolerant. Tolerance is a good thing, don't you think?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There are people on this board who can discuss politics. There are others whose attitude is "I am right and you are stupid". If you have nothing to say, then why not say it?
Your whole premise IS stupid.

Basically, a paper thin majority is fine when it suits you, but we need a 2 thirds majority to change it from now on. Why? No way on earth you'd be campaigning for this based on a 52% remain win in 2016. And nor would Nigel Farage who famously said a 52-48 vote would mean "unfinished business". I trust you about as much as I trust him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One thing I despise - even from the great and the good that live in Brighton - is the attitude of "I'm glad I'm not prejudiced like all those northern people". Wouldn't it be better to have one board for sensible discussion and another for random abuse?

Goodbye. I will log off for a few days in hopes that the board calms down and learns how to be tolerant. Tolerance is a good thing, don't you think?
You've been tolerated for months despite being out of step with most on here. This region is a rejoin region and this is a massively pro rejoin board.

But I'm sorry, I draw the line when you justify moving the goalposts now that Brexit is being seen by most people for the absolute pile of dogshit that it is. The irony is that if we had a referendum now and it was set to your arbitrary 60-40, there's still a fair chance rejoin would win. But why should that be put in the balance when it would still be a clear majority regardless?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The reply you are quoting was that "The next time, if nothing much has altered, you need a more decisive figure". I would say that the dissolving of the EC and its replacement by the EU, a political and unionist body, was a significant alteration.
As a mod I have to be much nicer than Simster, but, honestly, the mental gymnastics needed to get to your original point and this reply are in Nadia Comăneci territory.

"Nothing much has altered"? Since the 2016 referendum the whole planet has been altered by a pandemic and two large scale wars, the country has seen three unelected prime ministers, the latest of whom has less support that Rochdale's away following, a leading Brexiteer Prime Minister has broken the law of the land, Northern Ireland doesn't have a government, Nigel Farage has been de-banked, people's mortgages, food and heating have trebled and still the little rubber boats keep coming at an even greater rate.

What would it take for you? A nuclear bomb?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You not only can agree a greater margin of victory, but for the sake of practicalities you have to. An annual referendum to decide whether we want to be in the EU or not, is not going to work. The practicalities of agreeing to join and then backing out and then rejoining just can't work.

The first time you ask the people, you can take a simple majority. The next time, if nothing much has altered, you need a more decisive figure.
I can go with 60% required for a change, as long as you are willing to keep having referendums annually until you get a 60% majority either way, at that point a further referendum only if a new treaty is to be signed or a Government that offers one in their manifesto is elected. I also think a court should decide if the public has been well informed or not about the decisions implications, before anything is enacted on the basis of the result, and that distributors of deliberate disinformation be punished.
What is likely to happen in my opinion is that the next Government decides to align more closely with Europe, and the one after that even more, and so on, and we end up looking like members, paying more in than members but don't get to elect MEP's or have a member on the council.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
My view is simply that a referendum in 2007 over Lisbon, before Farage and his wealthy backers got really going in their sh1t stirring over (in effect) Poles and Romanians in small towns, would’ve killed that movement. It would not have been a leave EU vote. Ireland did it.

So very worthwhile.

Meaning the Brexit vote would never have occurred. Politicians of all creeds (bar Corbyn, Bone and Farage) could simply say the British have voted. Opportunists such as Boris would have had no viable movement to join.
I agree.
As a general rule though, a referendum is a horribly blunt instrument introduced only when the leadership is convinced it will prevail (how badly mistaken was Cameron on that!)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

:flounce:

What a facking SNOWFLAKE!

:lolol:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
"Nothing much has altered"? Since the 2016 referendum the whole planet has been altered by a pandemic and two large scale wars, the country has seen three unelected prime ministers, the latest of whom has less support that Rochdale's away following, a leading Brexiteer Prime Minister has broken the law of the land, Northern Ireland doesn't have a government, Nigel Farage has been de-banked, people's mortgages, food and heating have trebled and still the little rubber boats keep coming at an even greater rate.
All right, but apart from that...

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
dsr- Burnley 'Tolerance is a good thing don't you think'?

How would you categorise a comment like that?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As a mod I have to be much nicer than Simster, but, honestly, the mental gymnastics needed to get to your original point and this reply are in Nadia Comăneci territory.

What would it take for you? A nuclear bomb?
He’s apparently logged off now for a few days because we aren’t making sensible arguments.

Usual nonsense we get when their arguments get picked apart.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Don’t let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He’s apparently logged off now for a few days because we aren’t making sensible arguments.

Usual nonsense we get when their arguments get picked apart.
Very similar to someone who made over 1600 posts on this thread now ignoring it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here