Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
...but alternatively, for those who chose to celebrate the dubious achievements of Brexit so loudly....

Happy Christmas to all!

BF8BB678-C7A2-4B06-8713-EE187415A44B.jpeg

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
You not being able to resist posting even on Christmas day or Randy posting during the match today .......... funny and tragic indeed!
Perhaps... but also necessary to remind some people on here (you maybe?) of what Brexit has stolen from many decent people.

Keep believing, cheerleading and complying, the rich and powerful need your support.

It's waning now....

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You not being able to resist posting even on Christmas day or Randy posting during the match today .......... funny and tragic indeed!
Says six years of trolling, 5 accounts worth of embarrassment, but never a single meaningful contribution, let alone benefit, still posting on Xmas eve and Boxing day :facepalm:

0OgPPb.gif

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sadly we will never know the true effect of brexit, if other events hadn't also played a massive part in effecting the globe, from the pandemic to the war in Ukraine and the cost of living crisis that sparked

The pandemic had a major impact on the economy, as many used it as an opportunity to change professions, and that led to shortages of labour in some sectors (which may have been left adequately staffed if the pandemic hadn't happened)
It means that trying to pin the blame on just one thing, like on Brexit, is pure speculation at best as a result
I don't think anyone is trying to blame the current economic situation purely on Brexit.

But what people (and people who understand economics, inflation, recession, international trade, working patterns, fishing, logistics, care, hospitality, NHS etc etc) far better than you and me are saying is that Brexit has had a major negative effect across Britain and is a major factor in the current economic situation and cost of living crisis. In addition, there are many who think that we wouldn't have suffered these ever changing governments/PMs/Chancellors etc and ever changing 'policies' of the last six years if not for Brexit.

Your defence seems to consist of 'but the worst pandemic in over 100 years' and the 'most destructive War in Europe since WWII' have also had an effect, which is perfectly correct, but to find out that we have a self induced cause competing on a similar scale with these could be viewed as a 'little disappointing' :shrug:

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I don't think anyone is trying to blame the current economic situation purely on Brexit.

But what people (and people who understand economics, inflation, recession, international trade, working patterns, fishing, logistics, care, hospitality, NHS etc etc) far better than you and me are saying is that Brexit has had a major negative effect across Britain and is a major factor in the current economic situation and cost of living crisis. In addition, there are many who think that we wouldn't have suffered these ever changing governments/PMs/Chancellors etc and ever changing 'policies' of the last six years if not for Brexit.

Your defence seems to consist of 'but the worst pandemic in over 100 years' and the 'most destructive War in Europe since WWII' have also had an effect, which is perfectly correct, but to find out that we have a self induced cause competing on a similar scale with these could be viewed as a 'little disappointing' :shrug:
Indeed.

Brexit is the reason that our growth is so different from our competitors who have also had a negative effect from the pandemic and war.

Attachments

• 1E41ABBA-942D-469F-B7FB-F865CC5501BB.jpeg
    1E41ABBA-942D-469F-B7FB-F865CC5501BB.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 52

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'd like to talk about two trips I made to Germany, one was just last week (19 to 23 Dec 22) and one was exactly 5 years prior.
Car travel. In 2017 I had to arrange car insurance and breakdown cover on top of what I had in the UK. 2022 it is included in my policy (yes, correct way round).
Mobile phone. Full use of my phone as if at home both times.
Passports. Took longer this time and slight delay despite being very busy.
Duty Free. 2017 was unlimited. 2022 200 cigs per person. Should point out I filled my car with fuel 25p a litre cheaper than UK.
We made our usual stop at the Belgium duty free stores in Adinkerke and whilst pre brexit these stores were full of Brits stocking up they were now much smaller and dealing more with French popping over the border for cigarettes.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
People will gladly have no opt outs, join the Euro and the Schengen zone?
Well obviously we will have to negotiate and be flexible on some things, although I would suspect probably not those two, but that will simply mean having to give in on other areas.

Because it's not as if we are one of the two most influential powers in the biggest economic trading bloc in the world anymore. I think anyone who has given any thought to this knows that obviously we can't get anywhere near the deal Britain had as a result of 40 years of hard negotiation from British Politicians of all political parties. Probably the only thing that united Heath, Wilson, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and May. Still, Johnson, Truss and Sunak thought otherwise :facepalm:

But beggars can't be choosers :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People will gladly have no opt outs, join the Euro and the Schengen zone?
That would relaunch the ERG and the odious Farage: "Betraying the British people....not proper Brexit" etc.

Which would be, on this occasion, a good thing I suspect.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Really hasn't this all been done to death and time to archive this thread

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I am genuinely pleased that you haven't been, and continue not to be effected by Inflation, the recession, the lack of a functioning government in Northern Ireland, the shortages in NHS and care staff, staffing generally and the economic impact on hospitality, logistics, fishing, various other businesses and any sort of business that exports (y)

But an awful lot of people have and would like to find solutions to these various problems arising. I do think they should be allowed to discuss solutions, don't you ???

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Indeed.

Brexit is the reason that our growth is so different from our competitors who have also had a negative effect from the pandemic and war.
The tax base has been crucified by Brexit, the Vote Leave cabal, the Truss IEA experiment etc. Now the country is broke and throwing our galant nurses under the big red bus. Welcome to reality folks.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling

Yes, yes it has but a few radicalised individuals use it as a sort of therapeutic echo chamber of despair. Weird.

I'm still waiting for one of the many 'solution finders' :lolol: to address or counter the interesting points raised in the link I posted some time ago...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There’s more to come, believe me. There’s a bill going through Parliament at the moment, to get all the EU laws which the British government then put on our statute book. So much for being ruled by Brussels.
From the end of December 2023, equal pay for women, maternity leave, sick pay, even paid holiday will be vastly reduced or even abolished.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes, yes it has but a few radicalised individuals use it as a sort of therapeutic echo chamber of despair. Weird.

I'm still waiting for one of the many 'solution finders' :lolol: to address or counter the interesting points raised in the link I posted some time ago...

I countered one of the points previously,
  • Foreign direct investment (FDI) into the UK has held up well since 2016 in contrast to predictions that it would slump after Brexit. Greenfield FDI into the UK rose by a third between 2016 and 2021 and was the highest of any large European economy in every year in this period.

Some EU based businesses have of course set up subsiduaries in the UK to counter some of the issues of trading between EU and UK post Brexit, looking at that without subtracting the likes of Easy Jet and many other businesses shifting the bulk of their operations away from the UK and into the EU and the loss of EU agencies that were UK based, particularly the EMA, is nonsense.
Lloyds of London will be Lloyds of Brussells for EU business, Panasonic and Sony had EU headquarters in the UK, now in the Netherlands.

• Far from collapsing as some claim, UK trade with the EU has fully recovered after some initial disruption, despite increased trade frictions. Underlying trade levels are close to long-term trends. The UK’s trade balance with the EU has improved – implying a boost to growth – and even sectors like food and fish have seen exports to the EU proving remarkably resilient.
This one is just not true, the pandemic saw some wild fluctuations, and if you cherry pick the month there are one or two where the balance is better, but in most it is worse.
Bear in mind the graph is also in GBP, which you need a few more of post 2016 to buy the same amount of goods from the EU.

This report was out a month after the article you reference.
https://www.aston.ac.uk/latest-news/brexit-changes-caused-229-slump-uk-eu-exports-q1-2022-research

The only really fair point the article you reference makes, is that it is too soon to expect to see any beneficial result from Brexit, I mean, I don't really expect to see anything ever, but it will take time to dredge the Tees and kill off all the Marine life in the area to create the Freeport and associated warehouses. Once that has been built, we are selling Pork to South Korea, and maybe get some other trade deals done, we can really see how all the disruption and loss of freedoms and protections in the EU really has changed our lives for the better, or not.

In the mean time, we can just look on at what we are losing, and try and keep track so that when we get that "Brexit Dividend" we can tell whether it is just a 90th minute consolation goal, a lifeline to avoid relegation to L1, or a match winner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here