Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wouldn't trust the French, or the Germans :wink:

Because, just like us, they were trying to get the maximum benefits from the EU for their respective states. And, over the last 40 years I thought that various British Governments of all political hues had made a bloody good job of exactly that. Not only were we one of the big 3 but I believe we had a better deal than France of Germany, but that is just history now :shrug:

So, back to moving forward, what do we do about the NIP before the bloody thing destroys the Brexit deal we do have :facepalm:
Other than Orban, I like the major member nations leaders right now. [But know very little about the Swedish, Italian and Dutch leaders, other than some UK right wingers got excited]. Scholz and Macron I think are amicable ‘open books’, internationalists. Mitterrand/Kohl from afar, gave the impression of aloof arrogance.

Truss’s replacement (if cut of the same sensible cloth as, cough …. you’ll hate me for this …. Jeremy Hunt), then inevitably Starmer, can build close ties. Praying no more of this silly nationalist rhetoric here. Patriotism is fine.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its taken the Telegraph over 6 years...

Project Fear was right all along​

Six years of policy confusion and ineptitude has brought a calamitous loss of standing

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I am torn between a feeling of despair and demanding Brexit opinion formers and their persistent, arrogant vocal support publicly apologise for the misery they have brought upon the vast majority of us. Over to you, NSC Brexit acolytes.

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Definitely not a trap :wink:

I have always believed that there had to be a border between the EU and Britain if we were to leave the Customs Union. It couldn't be put on the Island of Ireland because of the GFA, so Johnson's solution was to put it in the Irish Sea.

I'm not sure there was anyone who thought it would work, so on that we are in full agreement. However, without being facetious, we do have to deal with it if and come up with a solution in order to move on. As I have said, apart from joining the Customs Union, I have never been able to see a solution to this particular problem :shrug:
That's a very common misconception about the Good Friday Agreement. It is emphatically not just a way of keeping the Republicans happy. The Good Friday Agreement is about keeping both sides happy, about not changing Northern Ireland rules without consent of both sides (this applies only to specific NI rules, not rules that apply to the whole UK), and about government by consent. There is nothing in the Good Friday Agreement that says it's OK to piss off the Unionists but you mustn't piss off the Catholics. Apologies for language.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Its taken the Telegraph over 6 years...

Project Fear was right all along​

Six years of policy confusion and ineptitude has brought a calamitous loss of standing

I'm not sure the tenor of the article is quite what you might hope for. It's saying that the "Project Fear" people, the ones who said that Brexit would fail and who wanted Brexit to fail and who have worked towards making Brexit fail, have won because they held more power than a mere Prime Minister could overcome.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm not sure the tenor of the article is quite what you might hope for. It's saying that the "Project Fear" people, the ones who said that Brexit would fail and who wanted Brexit to fail and who have worked towards making Brexit fail, have won because they held more power than a mere Prime Minister could overcome.

So the Johnson cabal weren't given a clean, completely unfettered, 80 seat majority go at getting Brexit Done and 'Remainers' is the reason it's a complete and utter total clusterfuck :facepalm:

Sorry there's a game to concentrate on, and now Brexit is back on the Main Board we really should avoid calling people derogatory terms, so suffice it to say you are just embarrassing yourself now :lolol:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So the Johnson cabal weren't given a clean, completely unfettered, 80 seat majority go at getting Brexit Done and 'Remainers' is the reason it's a complete and utter total clusterfuck :facepalm:

Sorry there's a game to concentrate on, and now Brexit is back on the Main Board we really should avoid calling people derogatory terms, so suffice it to say you are just embarrassing yourself now :lolol:
I apologise for the use of a derogatory term, whatever it was. Though honestly I can't see where it was, so please could you tell me what the derogatory term(s) was/were?

Part of the reason Johnson made such a pig's ear of it is because May had made a massive pig's ear of her own. She should never have let Northern Ireland be the divisive issue it was allowed to become; no-one in the referendum campaign thought it was a big issue. She should have said firmly that it is a UK issue, that the UK can handle our side of the border without putting up border posts and the like, and the Republic must do what it feels it must do.

I have no idea whether Johnson could have done better without May's mess as his starting point; maybe he couldn't. Later performance suggest that his ability to achieve anything is unproven, to say the least.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I apologise for the use of a derogatory term, whatever it was. Though honestly I can't see where it was, so please could you tell me what the derogatory term(s) was/were?

Part of the reason Johnson made such a pig's ear of it is because May had made a massive pig's ear of her own. She should never have let Northern Ireland be the divisive issue it was allowed to become; no-one in the referendum campaign thought it was a big issue. She should have said firmly that it is a UK issue, that the UK can handle our side of the border without putting up border posts and the like, and the Republic must do what it feels it must do.

I have no idea whether Johnson could have done better without May's mess as his starting point; maybe he couldn't. Later performance suggest that his ability to achieve anything is unproven, to say the least.
So have you been pleased with what Brexit has achieved? Seems like it’s done more harm than good to me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unexpectedly, despite everything trade both imports and exports to EU are higher than ever.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Well maybe you'd like to explain your solution to the NIP issue, the one that no Government, No NSC poster, No Leave campaigner has managed to find in over 6 years. Well, Johnson who led you to your Brexit 'victory', given a free run with a huge majority came up with the NIP, claimed he had a solution and now says it is impossible to implement :facepalm:

Don't rush, I'm off to a football match so you have all night to come up with something (although I'm guessing you will try and avoid the question completely). Enjoy your night huddled in front of your keyboard (y)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
unexpectedly, despite everything trade both imports and exports to EU are higher than ever.
It's a pretty graph but the article says.

In January 2021, the value of goods exported to the European Union fell from 14.1 billion British pounds in the previous month to 7.6 billion pounds, while the value of imports fell from 24.5 billion to 16.2 billion, which was the biggest fall in trade for both imports and exports in the provided time period. Both imports and exports to the EU recovered somewhat later in 2021, although both were still below the levels for late 2020.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Peace had come to Northern Ireland through the Good Friday Agreement, an international law, agreed with Ireland and the UK. The EU and the USA were co-signatories of the Agreement. Brexit breaks that Agreement because there cannot be a hard border.

The Agreement worked because both the UK and Ireland were in the EU.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Probably connected to (mainly) Chinese supply issues?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
"Tough on Brexit. Tough on the consequences of Brexit" was a phrase I heard yesterday.

I think that's right. The country now needs tough policies to mitigate the Brexit damage.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Well maybe you'd like to explain your solution to the NIP issue, the one that no Government, No NSC poster, No Leave campaigner has managed to find in over 6 years. Well, Johnson who led you to your Brexit 'victory', given a free run with a huge majority came up with the NIP, claimed he had a solution and now says it is impossible to implement :facepalm:

Don't rush, I'm off to a football match so you have all night to come up with something (although I'm guessing you will try and avoid the question completely). Enjoy your night huddled in front of your keyboard (y)
If you hadn't been in a rush, you'd have read my answer in the post you were replying to. You might not like the answer, but it's an answer.

Can you tell me the derogatory terms I used and shouldn't have? I'd hate to post inappropriate language like that, but unless you tell me what the derogatory terms were, how can I expect to avoid them in future?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here