Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I will go back to my golf club analogy. We've left the golf club which was a chain of golf clubs all operating under the same rules. Members could play golf in 27 different clubs around the area. We've left but are insisting that every single one of those clubs lets us back in, without contributing anything.

Some have said, you may play as a guest. Others just know we've canceled. Unless we ask, how do they know we want to play as a guest?

Still cracks me up that when Farrage (and later, Johnson) suggested that the nations of the EU would crawl over broken glass to sign bespoke deals with a 'free' UK, people believed him. Dear oh dear.

And then they say that leaving the EU was in fact nothing to do with whether we shanked our economy or not if we left. It was all about freedom.

Lovely freedom.

:facepalm:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Still cracks me up that when Farrage (and later, Johnson) suggested that the nations of the EU would crawl over broken glass to sign bespoke deals with a 'free' UK, people believed him. Dear oh dear.

And then they say that leaving the EU was in fact nothing to do with whether we shanked our economy or not if we left. It was all about freedom.

Lovely freedom.

And John Redwood, I believe, said that it would be easy for us to negotiate a deal because we hold all the good cards. I thought at the time he probably shouldn’t play poker for money with our esteemed chair!

But was this attitude just a National arrogance of certain politicians on our behalf, pure stupidity, or was there something more sinister afoot with people thinking about their own personal wealth and enrichment, which is something on occasion levelled at certain mega-rich individuals (not Rushi Sunak, as far as I’m aware).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Thanks for your answer and I don't agree :wink:

The Leave campaign were never going to stay in the single market in any form. Johnson, Farage and JRM had all made it quite clear what they thought about 'a vassal state' (their words, not mine) and even Theresa May ruled out staying in the single market as part of her initial setting out of Brexit negotiations with her infamous 'red lines'. The simple fact is that the majority didn't vote for staying in the single market and what they voted for is exactly what we have now got :shrug:

I agree with you completely that given the way we have totally f***ed ourselves over rejoining the single market is the only sensible thing to now do, as a first step towards recovering our economy and, who knows, maybe even getting a little influence in time.

I actually liked it when we were one of the most powerful voices making the rules of the single market and EU fit Britain's requirements, together with that brilliant deal we had with no Schengen, no Euro, all of those vetoes, special deals and extras etc etc that British Politicians of all political persuasions had successfully negotiated over the last 40 years, but I fully accept that Britain having that sort of power and influence has gone forever as a result of what we have done.

The priority now IMO is to save the Union and unless we get a return to some sort of sensible moderate government the break up looks nailed on.

The Tory mantra to everything is you're either with us or you're against us. So divisive, so destructive, such a waste...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For that, ditching the Northern Ireland protocol must be on the agenda.

'Replacing' the protocol, you cannot ditch it as clearly goods cannot move freely between Ireland and the UK and you cannot put a border between Ireland and NI. It's a shame no one mentioned this in 2016 that it might be difficult.

The government's position is a new 'green lane' 'red lane' approach. Sounds much less complicated...

FCDO0110_NI_Protocol_-_diagram_only_v3.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That would be breaking the Good Friday Agreement, of which both America & the EU are signatories.
Breaking International law, but this government don’t care.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
'Replacing' the protocol, you cannot ditch it as clearly goods cannot move freely between Ireland and the UK and you cannot put a border between Ireland and NI. It's a shame no one mentioned this in 2016 that it might be difficult.

The government's position is a new 'green lane' 'red lane' approach. Sounds much less complicated...

But the last thing that this Government proposed, got the EU to agree to, negotiated and signed off as part of the Brexit deal didn't sound that complicated, remember the Northern Ireland Protocol :lolol:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Another simple idea which is more complex than what it replaced. Why should Europe make it easy for UK to trade?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Lovely freedom.

Personally I will never understand how anyone ever believed a word Farage said. If you wanted to design someone who looked like a dodgy used car salesman it'd end up being Farage.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Are you suggesting that the current squatter in no.10 carried out a cavalier act that undermined our Union of nations?

Surely not, I saw lots of people on 31st January 2020 with Union flags rejoicing in parliament square...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And John Redwood, I believe, said that it would be easy for us to negotiate a deal because we hold all the good cards. I thought at the time he probably shouldn’t play poker for money with our esteemed chair!

But was this attitude just a National arrogance of certain politicians on our behalf, pure stupidity, or was there something more sinister afoot with people thinking about their own personal wealth and enrichment, which is something on occasion levelled at certain mega-rich individuals (not Rushi Sunak, as far as I’m aware).

This was political opportunism in the end, with Johnson deciding to put on the Brexit mantle only weeks before the referendum when he decided this would be the winning side.

The origins are with Major's b'stards - Redwood, Cash and others. Figures of fun. But not funny.

Farrage monetized it, ending up with a massive salary as an MEP (oh, how ironic!), and a rolling Brexit wheeze that fed his bully boy ego.

Meanwhile, as you say there are those who saw disruptive change as an opportunity to make money. We know of few of the names, but Sunak was one. Cummins I think was honestly motivated - there are many who saw leaving the EU as a good thing and I don't really blame them, albeit only Cummins and a few others had the energy to do something.

I think that anyone who has personally made money out of Brexit, good luck to them, though. As for the losers, those who voted leave and have lost, tough luck.

The people I feel sorry for are the millions who voted remain and are now ****ed. Hopefully they won't be tempted to vote for anyone claiming to be strong and stable again.

Under Callaghan, we avoided a war with Argentina by managing our fleet and keeping the madman Galtieri back in harbour. Under Blair, leaving the EU became nothing more than the fantasy of loonies. The tories used their near disaster in the Falklands, and the xenophobia that drove National Brexit, in a grotesque spasm of political opportunism. Two times. As a consequence we have had tory governments and most of us are worse off now that we would have been. Could have been. Should have been.

But those who have enriched themselves, well done - good gambling.

Everyone else, cast your vote more carefully next time, eh? ???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It didn't just end up in the pit, it ended up on the Brexit thread

How can this be?

I really can't imagine why such a well viewed, active and contributed thread would disappear from NSC completely :shrug:

Imagine if you were one of the posters claiming it was nothing to do with Brexit who found it had not only disappeared from the main board, but had been put into the Brexit thread with no evidence it ever existed, even though it's nothing to do with Brexit. I bet they are furious ???

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
What will happen to the next thread about the predicted new chaos at Dover over the coming weekend? And the one the following weekend?

Will they get merged into the Brexit thread as well?

I'm with the Brexiteers on this. They should be given a fair crack of the whip, to try and prove the delays were caused not by Brexit, but by awkward French border staff, or something else.
They hadn't even begun to scratch the surface of the world's airports, when the rug was pulled from under them.

#justiceforbrexiteers

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This was political opportunism in the end, with Johnson deciding to put on the Brexit mantle only weeks before the referendum when he decided this would be the winning side.

The origins are with Major's b'stards - Redwood, Cash and others. Figures of fun. But not funny.

Farrage monetized it, ending up with a massive salary as an MEP (oh, how ironic!), and a rolling Brexit wheeze that fed his bully boy ego.

Meanwhile, as you say there are those who saw disruptive change as an opportunity to make money. We know of few of the names, but Sunak was one. Cummins I think was honestly motivated - there are many who saw leaving the EU as a good thing and I don't really blame them, albeit only Cummins and a few others had the energy to do something.

I think that anyone who has personally made money out of Brexit, good luck to them, though. As for the losers, those who voted leave and have lost, tough luck.

The people I feel sorry for are the millions who voted remain and are now ****ed. Hopefully they won't be tempted to vote for anyone claiming to be strong and stable again.

Under Callaghan, we avoided a war with Argentina by managing our fleet and keeping the madman Galtieri back in harbour. Under Blair, leaving the EU became nothing more than the fantasy of loonies. The tories used their near disaster in the Falklands, and the xenophobia that drove National Brexit, in a grotesque spasm of political opportunism. Two times. As a consequence we have had tory governments and most of us are worse off now that we would have been. Could have been. Should have been.

But those who have enriched themselves, well done - good gambling.

Everyone else, cast your vote more carefully next time, eh? ???

Absolutely all this!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here