Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What new procedures are these then ? As far as I've experienced it's still British passport control this side and then French passport control the other. Dover have double - i.e. British and and French both sides - but that is it. I've even carried food, flowers and chemicals both ways without issue despite the press horror stories of people having sandwiches confiscated etc. The French in Dieppe just wave you through after a quick stamp in the passport. This is a staffing issue, nothing to do with Brexit.[/QUOTE]

And why do you suppose their is a staff shortage?

There is also additional paperwork which is slowing things down. Which is everything to do with Brexit. Post Brexit travel rules mean British Nationals may stay in the Schengen for no more than 90 days in a 180 day period. Passport stamps are now required at most entry and exit points. This is significantly adding to processing times.

Yes, to an individual professional driver it may seem quick but add all those extra minutes up and this is the result. Extra minutes of gormless holiday makers fumbling for their paperwork for a family of 5 in a hot car etc.. All thanks to Brexit.
Additionally, possibly the easiest job in the world to work for French Customs in Dieppe, one ferry every every 5 hours and mostly loaded with lorries .

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Have no fear. Prime Minister-elect Liz Truss has been on TV also blaming the French and she's going to sort the buggers out.

The fact that the French, anticipating extra demand in the summer holiday getaway, offered extra border staff to our government months ago, and were turned down, has been quietly forgotten.

There is no failure, no disaster, no cock-up that cannot be blamed on someone or something other than Brexit. If it's the French, then so much the better.

A definite fact that seems to be getting quietly forgotten is that 14 French border staff should have been there yesterday morning but only 6 turned up. I am sure that you can agree that this hasn't helped the situation.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Govt-rejects-£33m-proposal-for-more-passport-booths-at-Dover-leaving-longer-queues-more-likely.png

Blame the Government. The UK Government.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A definite fact that seems to be getting quietly forgotten is that 14 French border staff should have been there yesterday morning but only 6 turned up. I am sure that you can agree that this hasn't helped the situation.

No, it won't help. However, it's a very superficial part of an over-arching issue caused by Brexit.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

The explanation from the French was an incident in the tunnel. I've no further detail on it, or why it stopped an extra 8 border staff from turning up.

Another fact which has not been forgotten, is that Simon Calder timed cars with two occupants being processed (45 seconds), and with four occupants (90 seconds), because France now has to stamp everyone's passport, whereas previously they just waved everyone through because we were in the EU and there wasn't a hard border.

Another fact which thankfully has not been forgotten, is that 62% of people in Dover voted leave.
Never before, in the history of voting for things, is the phrase 'you get what you vote for' been so cruelly demonstrated.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The explanation from the French was an incident in the tunnel. I've no further detail on it, or why it stopped an extra 8 border staff from turning up.

Another fact which has not been forgotten, is that Simon Calder timed cars with two occupants being processed (45 seconds), and with four occupants (90 seconds), because France now has to stamp everyone's passport, whereas previously they just waved everyone through because we were in the EU and there wasn't a hard border.

Another fact which thankfully has not been forgotten, is that 62% of people in Dover voted leave.
Never before, in the history of voting for things, is the phrase 'you get what you vote for' been so cruelly demonstrated.

The French said it was an incident at the Tunnel, not in it. There was an RTA on the M20 eastbound which closed it for two hours so getting from the Tunnel from Folkestone to Dover was difficult and caused them delays.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Jolly good. We like facts. Another fact that I would love to know but no-one seems to be able to confirm is how many passport booths there are at Dover. The 2020 article with the £33m that the government evidently turned down quotes increasing from 5 to 10. The Daily Telegraph says that there are now 12. Thunder Bolt counted 6 but that did not include freight. So I would really like to know how many there actually are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Simon Calder or poster in denial on NSC

[tweet]1550878727038533633[/tweet]

Tough call.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Jolly good. We like facts. Another fact that I would love to know but no-one seems to be able to confirm is how many passport booths there are at Dover. The 2020 article with the £33m that the government evidently turned down quotes increasing from 5 to 10. The Daily Telegraph says that there are now 12. Thunder Bolt counted 6 but that did not include freight. So I would really like to know how many there actually are.

There were 5 passenger booths until two days ago when they added two more. So, 7.

No idea about freight.

In 2020 the French offered to double the original 5 to 10. The government turned this offer down.

D

Deleted member 2719

Pasteurisation of milk products so saving countless lives
The parachute so saving thousands of lives
Cinematography, so enhancing millions of lives.
Stethoscope, so saving millions of lives.
Camera phone …so clogging up billions of servers around the world with pictures of cats leading to global warming.
Aspirin so saving millions of lives.
Food processor, so helping loads of chefs etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_inventions_and_discoveries#Chemistry

There you go mouldy. When you shuffle off this mortal coil, what will you be remembered for? Apart from posting stuff on here?

Is it fair to compare the whole of French history against mouldy 58 years???

I think not, but you might just be surprised of my contributions to life.

I have even opened up a few thought patterns with my lateral thinking on here.:rave:

Of course we invented the first toothbrush saving billions of teeth
I raise your asprin for a British-developed penicillin.
The vacumn flask saving loads of people the chance of having to drink cold tea:sick:
The fire extinguisher, saving peoples bacon.
The cats eyes, a outstanding road safety invention, saving??? Lives
The Mackinntosh coat, stopping wet pants on most people apart from some In the 'Potter out ' thread.

The french know the brits are superior in every department.

They are just to militant to admit it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is it fair to compare the whole of French history against mouldy 58 years???

I think not, but you might just be surprised of my contributions to life.

I have even opened up a few thought patterns with my lateral thinking on here.:rave:

Of course we invented the first toothbrush saving billions of teeth
I raise your asprin for a British-developed penicillin.
The vacumn flask saving loads of people the chance of having to drink cold tea:sick:
The fire extinguisher, saving peoples bacon.
The cats eyes, a outstanding road safety invention, saving??? Lives
The Mackinntosh coat, stopping wet pants on most people apart from some In the 'Potter out ' thread.

The french know the brits are superior in every department.

They just to militant to admit it.

Mouldy whinges about a free kids shirt.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The Ignore function works perfectly. But if you stop posting foolish and misleading statements about the reasons behind the delays at Dover, I will stop pointing out how foolish the statements are and the real reasons for the delays, rather than some French conspiracy nonsense :shrug:

Deal ?

Didn’t seem foolish to me as valid an opinion as others :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here