Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The French are next to useless, what did they ever do that's any good, let's start with the cars.:lol:

Pasteurisation of milk products so saving countless lives
The parachute so saving thousands of lives
Cinematography, so enhancing millions of lives.
Stethoscope, so saving millions of lives.
Camera phone …so clogging up billions of servers around the world with pictures of cats leading to global warming.
Aspirin so saving millions of lives.
Food processor, so helping loads of chefs etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_inventions_and_discoveries#Chemistry

There you go mouldy. When you shuffle off this mortal coil, what will you be remembered for? Apart from posting stuff on here?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I travelled from Portsmouth to Caen yesterday, the ferry left 10 mins late and arrived on time. Ferry was rammed and passport check and check in at Portsmouth was a little slow. It was also a little slow in Caen but no worse than expected when passports need checking and stamping and covid certs checking. No agenda imo just inefficiency/lack of staff to deal with the traffic volume at Dover and Calais

By the royal navy?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’ve travelled a lot round Europe in the last 6 months with work. Everywhere queues are long at passport control for ‘non-EU’. Where you used to get waived through with a cursory glance, it now takes a minute or two for each person to have their passport thoroughly checked, and stamped. Hence a long queue. But like all the other issues with Brexit - an Irish problem, a mass of red tape, costs and loss of sales for businesses of all sizes, staff shortages everywhere, loss of freedoms and opportunities for our young people, loss of vital partnerships in science etc, the swivel-eyed loons will always find a way to blame Europe rather than ourselves.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I’ve travelled a lot round Europe in the last 6 months with work. Everywhere queues are long at passport control for ‘non-EU’. Where you used to get waived through with a cursory glance, it now takes a minute or two for each person to have their passport thoroughly checked, and stamped. Hence a long queue. But like all the other issues with Brexit - an Irish problem, a mass of red tape, costs and loss of sales for businesses of all sizes, staff shortages everywhere, loss of freedoms and opportunities for our young people, loss of vital partnerships in science etc, the swivel-eyed loons will always find a way to blame Europe rather than ourselves.

See the post above yours for a perfect example.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Ignore function works perfectly. But if you stop posting foolish and misleading statements about the reasons behind the delays at Dover, I will stop pointing out how foolish the statements are and the real reasons for the delays, rather than some French conspiracy nonsense :shrug:

Deal ?

Dover not Deal.

Close, but no cigar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am in France, I arrived on Thursday - Newhaven to Dieppe. It was fairly easy, though slower than normal. They didn't check my Covid status - I was told at Newhaven to have it ready as they may be doing spot checks.

Considerably more to worry about than Covid regarding anybody arriving from Newhaven.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I saw some numpty blaming the French, saying if it wasn’t them slowing everything down intentionally, why weren’t there queues at the borders of other, non EU countries.

That’s the trouble with democracy, these people have the vote.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
People weren’t given all the ramifications of leaving the EU. I really think the vote would have been different if we were. We would have been better in it and able to convince others to change how it is run. We have no control over the French now and it is no surprise that they have gone back to being as uncooperative as they can be, I don’t blame them. People should holiday in the U.K. and spend their money here. The economy needs it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dunno what all the fuss is about going to France, anyway:-

[tweet]1550899795585368065[/tweet]

The place is minging.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I’ve just posted this on the Tory meltdown thread. It might be more appropriate here…….

However many booths, lanes or personnel there are, it is our government which made the choices about borders and not to be part of a more liberal regime. I think the expression is “hoist with your own petard”.

Having experienced a couple of times in Europe the traffic chaos on black Saturdays - the days in August when everyone goes on holiday or comes back, this particular weekend was always going to be a problem….. and how. If you have 4 people in a car, that’s 4 passports to check and stamp, and that is all necessary because of the need to check that we don’t stay in Europe more than the 90 days we can without visas.

It was our government which made the choices which made all this necessary, all for the sake of seeming bullish and well ‘ard about border control……. Which is what the people (allegedly) want. It’s a problem largely of our own making.
We got what we wanted, a clear border between us and Europe. We decided to become a " Third Country " and as such we should not complain when we get treated like a " Third Country ". I feel sympathy for those stuck in endless queues ( lorry drivers have been suffering like this since January, widely unreported though) as its not what they want but, this is the future...

.additionally there will be delays getting back in to the UK when we eventually start doing the full checks we are supposed to be doing on vehicles entering the UK but we have not started yet because we can't afford to employ the amount of Customs Officers required.

Eventually, someone will have the balls to stand up and say " How can we figure out a way to make trade and movement to Europe as easy as it is between France and Germany , " ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People weren’t given all the ramifications of leaving the EU. I really think the vote would have been different if we were. We would have been better in it and able to convince others to change how it is run. We have no control over the French now and it is no surprise that they have gone back to being as uncooperative as they can be, I don’t blame them. People should holiday in the U.K. and spend their money here. The economy needs it.

We were given all the ramifications.

Unfortunately we were also told a pack of lies by snake oil salesmen and buses.
Playing to the lowest common denominator.

But crucially those opposed to Brexit let the country down, because they weren't commited to it.
They assumed we weren't fookin idiots.
They allowed themselves to be bullied by the self interests of a few.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So you are saying that Britain didn't get rid of freedom of movement and force the introduction of new procedures at the borders and that it's some huge cover up by the French :facepalm:

What new procedures are these then ? As far as I've experienced it's still British passport control this side and then French passport control the other. Dover have double - i.e. British and and French both sides - but that is it. I've even carried food, flowers and chemicals both ways without issue despite the press horror stories of people having sandwiches confiscated etc. The French in Dieppe just wave you through after a quick stamp in the passport. This is a staffing issue, nothing to do with Brexit.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

I think they were given most of them , but chose not to believe it because Profect Fear. The likes of Farage amd Johnson sold them the comforting myth that we could leave the EU and everything would stay the same with added "freedom" . Johhny foreigner would cave to all our demands because somehow WE ARE IMPORTANT and they need us whatever the cost. They played to all the WWII fantasies of people that were too young to have fought and the hard right press owned by expat billionaires and edited by strange libertarian nutjobs stood cheerleading for the unregulated markets they hoped would flow from the decision.
And we can stand here saying I told you so , but Jacob Reece Mogg and Paul Dacre will still be telling the newly retired that it's all the fault of those nasty frogs and krauts and that we need to keep fightng the same battles whilst they rip up all the laws protecting us

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What new procedures are these then ? As far as I've experienced it's still British passport control this side and then French passport control the other. Dover have double - i.e. British and and French both sides - but that is it. I've even carried food, flowers and chemicals both ways without issue despite the press horror stories of people having sandwiches confiscated etc. The French in Dieppe just wave you through after a quick stamp in the passport. This is a staffing issue, nothing to do with Brexit.[/QUOTE]

And why do you suppose their is a staff shortage?

There is also additional paperwork which is slowing things down. Which is everything to do with Brexit. Post Brexit travel rules mean British Nationals may stay in the Schengen for no more than 90 days in a 180 day period. Passport stamps are now required at most entry and exit points. This is significantly adding to processing times.

Yes, to an individual professional driver it may seem quick but add all those extra minutes up and this is the result. Extra minutes of gormless holiday makers fumbling for their paperwork for a family of 5 in a hot car etc.. All thanks to Brexit.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What new procedures are these then ? As far as I've experienced it's still British passport control this side and then French passport control the other. Dover have double - i.e. British and and French both sides - but that is it. I've even carried food, flowers and chemicals both ways without issue despite the press horror stories of people having sandwiches confiscated etc. The French in Dieppe just wave you through after a quick stamp in the passport. This is a staffing issue, nothing to do with Brexit.

This will be all the new procedures that came in as a result of cutting off our free movement into and out of the EU which businesses have been suffering for the last 18 months and the public are just starting to experience.

I'm not surprised you have had no problems because Newhaven Dieppe was always highlighted as one of the key 'pinch points' throughout the Brexit discussions :facepalm:

And obviously you've taken advantage and joined the smugglers and Vat tax cheats that have been operating since we left the EU as a result of Britain not being able to implement any of JRM's 'act of self harm' import controls.

So what, exactly have the French done to 'create' this staffing issue after all these years that is 'nothing to do with Brexit' :dunce:

Ever feel you've been stitched up :lolol:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
What new procedures are these then ? As far as I've experienced it's still British passport control this side and then French passport control the other. Dover have double - i.e. British and and French both sides - but that is it. I've even carried food, flowers and chemicals both ways without issue despite the press horror stories of people having sandwiches confiscated etc. The French in Dieppe just wave you through after a quick stamp in the passport. This is a staffing issue, nothing to do with Brexit.[/QUOTE]

And why do you suppose their is a staff shortage?

There is also additional paperwork which is slowing things down. Which is everything to do with Brexit. Post Brexit travel rules mean British Nationals may stay in the Schengen for no more than 90 days in a 180 day period. Passport stamps are now required at most entry and exit points. This is significantly adding to processing times.

Yes, to an individual professional driver it may seem quick but add all those extra minutes up and this is the result. Extra minutes of gormless holiday makers fumbling for their paperwork for a family of 5 in a hot car etc.. All thanks to Brexit.

Have no fear. Prime Minister-elect Liz Truss has been on TV also blaming the French and she's going to sort the buggers out.

The fact that the French, anticipating extra demand in the summer holiday getaway, offered extra border staff to our government months ago, and were turned down, has been quietly forgotten.

There is no failure, no disaster, no cock-up that cannot be blamed on someone or something other than Brexit. If it's the French, then so much the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here