Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I noticed that with yesterday's posts on here being mainly about the detail of Brexit, the huge movement of share dealing out of the UK on 4th Jan, the opportunities for smuggling by only having controls on goods and people going out of the country, the issues in the financial sector with passporting and equivalence, the country specific rules the UK will have to meet, the impact on professional services, state aid, standards and dispute resolution etc etc, that none of our regular Brexit supporters seem to have made any contribution ???

Just to prove that the discussion wasn't deliberately steered into areas they wouldn't understand to exclude them, I have found this specifically for those posters.

British sausages and chilled minced meat will be BANNED in the EU from Friday under post-Brexit rules

Fresh British sausages will be banned from being exported to the EU when the post-Brexit transition period ends later this week.

Official Government export guidance, last updated on December 28, makes clear that British raw sausages will no longer be allowed into the EU.

Something simple to understand, they can get angry about, and completely insignificant within the bigger picture, it ticks every box. Fill yer boots :thumbsup:

BBQtastic mate.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
BBQtastic mate.

4 minutes for a thumbs up and 3 minutes to respond ? I'm going to have to get myself a new stalker :lolol:

I notice you were posting 'funny' responses as JCFG yesterday. You really aren't very good at this duplicate account thing are you :facepalm:

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Only to you. I have several friends who are in danger of losing income and/or their livelihoods; if you think I am impatient for that to happen, you are wrong-headed (to put it politely) again.

Maybe you could think a bit longer and harder before posting?

To be fair that is where the leave side argument is today, started off being victorious and how we would prosper to now, boneheaded ignorance and mocking those affected by all the negative consequences they spent half a decade saying wouldn't happen

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
To be fair that is where the leave side argument is today, started off being victorious and how we would prosper to now, boneheaded ignorance and mocking those affected by all the negative consequences they spent half a decade saying wouldn't happen

I see that reference to 'sunny uplands' is generally muted now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As a Chartered Accountant my qualification is no longer recognised from January 1st 2021 in the EU. I usually work in Frankfurt, Paris, Warsaw and Nicosia during the summer recess but that work (on which I pay tax to HMRC) will now be lost.

Can a Brexit supporter advise how the negotiated changes benefits the UK exchequer and myself?

My daughter is the same, working for Uniliver, which has two offices, London and Rotterdam. Now she cannot fly back and forth as she did before, so what cannot be done online will have to be done by Dutch personnel, which means another wage, and higher prices for Unilever products, such as Marmite and HP sauce.
Coming to a supermarket near you, shortly.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
4 minutes for a thumbs up and 3 minutes to respond ? I'm going to have to get myself a new stalker :lolol:

I notice you were posting 'funny' responses as JCFG yesterday. You really aren't very good at this duplicate account thing are you :facepalm:

Surely s/he cannot be giving a thumbs to you as well! I know her/his posts are generally 'off the wall' but I now suspect s/he is incapable of high seriousness.....
S/he obviously is unlikely to be affected by the changes in the pipeline and so has the luxury of scoffing.....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Surely s/he cannot be giving a thumbs to you as well! I know her/his posts are generally 'off the wall' but I now suspect s/he is incapable of high seriousness.....
S/he obviously is unlikely to be affected by the changes in the pipeline and so has the luxury of scoffing.....

I have a funny feeling that the thumbs up thing started because after doing it, it displays a thumbs down symbol and they thought that was what they had given. Now you wouldn't think that level of stupidity would normally reach adulthood, but when I suggested this was the reason a few months ago, a very angry JCFG appeared, started posting on POTG's behalf and the rest is history :lolol:

JCFG has always been a bit strange (an angry Unionist Brexiteer who voted for a border in the Irish sea :facepalm:), who used to post on here fairly regularly but not constantly. I have noticed that, in the last year or so, they are on here on one of their accounts every waking minute of everyday, thumbing up and replying to every post within minutes, if not seconds of it being posted.

It's almost as if they have absolutely nothing else whatsoever to do, they seem far angrier than before, and don't seem at all concerned about what Brexit will do to the unemployment situation in the UK. I have no idea why that may be :shrug:

*edit*
30 minutes and no thumbs up, certainly didn't expect that :wink:

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My daughter is the same, working for Uniliver, which has two offices, London and Rotterdam. Now she cannot fly back and forth as she did before, so what cannot be done online will have to be done by Dutch personnel, which means another wage, and higher prices for Unilever products, such as Marmite and HP sauce.
Coming to a supermarket near you, shortly.

I saw an old speedboat on a trailer today parked on the gravel area by the cliffs at the end of Sussex Way in Telscombe Cliffs, just down from the Thai Elephant Restaurant, it was called Thunderbolt, I immediately thought of you.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I saw an old speedboat on a trailer today parked on the gravel area by the cliffs at the end of Sussex Way in Telscombe Cliffs, just down from the Thai Elephant Restaurant, it was called Thunderbolt, I immediately thought of you.

That's me. All washed up and worn out after being a speedster in my time. :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I noticed that with yesterday's posts on here being mainly about the detail of Brexit, the huge movement of share dealing out of the UK on 4th Jan, the opportunities for smuggling by only having controls on goods and people going out of the country, the issues in the financial sector with passporting and equivalence, the country specific rules the UK will have to meet, the impact on professional services, state aid, standards and dispute resolution etc etc, that none of our regular Brexit supporters seem to have made any contribution ???

Just to prove that the discussion wasn't deliberately steered into areas they wouldn't understand to exclude them, I have found this specifically for those posters.

British sausages and chilled minced meat will be BANNED in the EU from Friday under post-Brexit rules

Fresh British sausages will be banned from being exported to the EU when the post-Brexit transition period ends later this week.

Official Government export guidance, last updated on December 28, makes clear that British raw sausages will no longer be allowed into the EU.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9095353/Fresh-British-sausages-banned-exported-EU-Friday.html

Something simple to understand, they can get angry about, and completely insignificant within the bigger picture, it ticks every box. Fill yer boots [emoji106]
I'm seriously considering whacking £5k of my savings in to my share ISA in the hope of a share bounce long term, as savings don't earn anything in interest ... Is it a risky move now?
Should I leave it til Jan 5th?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm seriously considering whacking £5k of my savings in to my share ISA in the hope of a share bounce long term, as savings don't earn anything in interest ... Is it a risky move now?
Should I leave it til Jan 5th?

if that is a serious question, a serious answer, it doesnt matter for you. regulations mean EU banks will move dealing in EU based companies to EU systems. you'll likely buy UK based shares or funds, or you wanted EU shares you can still buy them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
if that is a serious question, a serious answer, it doesnt matter for you. regulations mean EU banks will move dealing in EU based companies to EU systems. you'll likely buy UK based shares or funds, or you wanted EU shares you can still buy them.
Yes, it certainly is a serious question.. 6 years til I retire with a crap pension so, I have to gamble on the stock market..

Savings in a bank will just get eroded by inflation. I know the old " shares can go up and down" bit but, after the crap 2020 at least we know that Covid can be controlled soon and that a minimalist deal has been done with Brexit so trade can continue... So, it can only go up. I hope.

Jan 30, 2008
Picture the scenes tmrw at 11.59 PM the old EU stalwarts on here wrapped in the EU flag with a candle a glass of pinot grigio , not a dry eye in the house
Regards
DF

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, it certainly is a serious question.. 6 years til I retire with a crap pension so, I have to gamble on the stock market..

Savings in a bank will just get eroded by inflation. I know the old " shares can go up and down" bit but, after the crap 2020 at least we know that Covid can be controlled soon and that a minimalist deal has been done with Brexit so trade can continue... So, it can only go up. I hope.

Digressing, have you set up a SIPP? All the benefits (and risks) of investing in equities et seq, but with tax relief on your contributions.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Great speech by Peter Kyle just now, stupidly interrupted by the BBC.

What a class act.

Pragmatically voting for the deal. With Starmer, leaving the door open for an evolving relationship with the EU in the longer term.

Yes I saw that. I think his speech hits the right note; pragmatic in the face of divisive, unfounded triumphalism.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes I saw that. I think his speech hits the right note; pragmatic in the face of divisive, unfounded triumphalism.

The anecdote about the bloke he chatted to in Hove yesterday was interesting. That’s how I feel. No deal would’ve been the worst of all worlds for so many reasons. Not just for duties in/effect on exports/paperwork, but I believe in diplomacy and good relationships. That really does matter, the EU and UK have ‘parted’ on amicable terms. This will positively effect matters moving forward, under any UK government.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here