Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
And 7. We’ll rejoin Europe in 20 years once the younger generation are in power.

and in 20 years..... you'll be an angry old fart voting Tory and saying leaving the EU was a blessing in disguise and that you didn't realise this at the time.

BTW Nigel Farage didn't agree with the bus slogan re £350 million quid for the NHS, that was vote leaves doing.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We've avoided the disasterous no deal and I am ruddy happy about that.

This deal is a small stepping stone on the path to better things.

There are areas the EU regret we haven't covered - eg defence - and we still want that financial services agreement. Plenty to build on - no doubt further away from the spotlight - for this and future Governments.

So, well done Boris for facing down the 'no deal loons'.

Re-joining EFTA would be a quick win as we can then pick and choose from their list of already done deals ( most of which piggyback on the same terms as EU trade deals ). No downside at all.

And also now let's work on that deal with Biden next year.

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes (though I can think of a few currently detained at Her Majesty's pleasure that I would be very tempted to make an exception for!)
!

So you are in favour of the ancient principle that parliamentarians should act according to their considered judgment as to what is in the interests of the nation and its people, irrespective of what the people appeared to be clamouring for?

(Clearly, if those parliamentarians had been formally elected to Westminster on the basis that they DID support a particular view and then reneged on their commitment once voted in, different considerations might apply.)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Incredible & Emotional Day - Thank you Boris. I hope you get your own column like Nelson & in years to come subsequent generations will look up to you with a tear in their eyes - having given us back our pride, identity & independence.

The nation will be ever so thankful - I hope the Queen bestows the highest possible honour to you.

Arise Sir Johnson.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Wonderful news this evening. We have our pride, we have our independence back, we have control - whilst there is time remoaners you can still buy a one way ticket under the tunnel. A momentous day today

What are you looking forward to mostly with these new freedoms?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
A deal has been done.

Perhaps we should leave it at that for now.

I think this government will eat itself from the centre outwards!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well a deal is better than no deal. Its good news, less Brexit victims and agriculture and manufacturing is retained

But its a million miles from what Vote Leave promised in 2016 (example below)

First, Johnson capitulated to the EU on Ireland on the WA creating a with a customs border in the Irish sea. Now a further climb down on the level playing field plus a small win on fish in a few years

Overall its a great deal for the EU 27 with the preservation of the Single Market and tariff and quota free access on goods to the UK where they have a huge surplus.

The bit where the UK has a EU trade surplus on services it all looks pretty thin.

New deals with ROW, well its just continuity Lizz so far with nothing new or advantageous

Lots of the usual BS from Johnson about sovreignty today, but when the tides goes out this won't pay for the NHS, Education, Pensions and Defence.

On top of this 6 months to save the Union of the UK.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Incredible & Emotional Day - Thank you Boris. I hope you get your own column like Nelson & in years to come subsequent generations will look up to you with a tear in their eyes - having given us back our pride, identity & independence.

The nation will be ever so thankful - I hope the Queen bestows the highest possible honour to you.

Arise Sir Johnson.
You've just gotta love these spoof accounts!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
A deal has been done.

Perhaps we should leave it at that for now.

I think this government will eat itself from the centre outwards!
Consider this :

Perhaps Johnson will ditch the Fixed Term Parliament Act ( as already mooted ) and go for an election in May riding on the crests of the EU deal and mass vaccination waves ?

Not something I'd like as I want rid of him, but he'd have a pretty good chance in those circumstances.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So in the end Johnson gave away our fish for the next 5 years and then gave away 75% after that.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Consider this :

Perhaps Johnson will ditch the Fixed Term Parliament Act ( as already mooted ) and go for an election in May riding on the crests of the EU deal and mass vaccination waves ?

Not something I'd like as I want rid of him, but he'd have a pretty good chance in those circumstances.

does he want to win another election?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Consider this :

I think that BJ doing that is as likely as Turkey's voting for Christmas. He still has a long time left as pm with a huge majority and that would be a huge risk. Even if he won it would be closer than last time out.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Consider this :

Perhaps Johnson will ditch the Fixed Term Parliament Act and go for an election in May riding on the crests of the EU deal and mass vaccination waves ?

I wonder if after scrutiny and the detail has become public the far right of The Conservative party will be rueing the day a deal was done and a no deal was not the final outcome.
Starmer has already endorsed the deal stating that the deal was better than a no- deal but the opposition will not fail to question the shortcomings that will inevitably arise. In my opinion there are factions in the Tory party who will not agree with the majority of the deal and find it hard to back Johnson to vote it through Parliament. The opposition in their own party may be small in numbers but will be very vocal and carry a lot of weight. It probably will not result in a split but some heavyweights may lose their place at the political table.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Arise Sir Johnson.

Depends if the Queen is still smarting about him lying to her about the reasons for paroguing Parliament.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
**** off Boris and **** off brexit. The sooner we can rejoin the better.
There is a smarter path ahead, Plooksie.

Re-join EFTA and have our pick of their trade deals, negotiate other trade deals that we want, get the EU financial services agreement, sort out the Erasmus issue and working visas for under 25s etc. Plenty of add ons can be done.

No need to take the euro and be at the mercy of the Walloon local councils in future trade deals.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why would Asia (or indeed. 'the world', if you like) rather seek out a small nation to offer sweetheart deals than bargian with the united and massive 27? What do we have to offer that the EU market doesn't? What does the world want to sell preferentially to the UK, and buy preferentially from the UK (preferentially versus the EU)? And do you really think the world want to sell to us more cheaply and buy more expensively than its trade with the EU?

As a smaller trading block our hand is weaker surely?

Happy to learn how I'm wrong [emoji106]
Join EFTA.

They have a load of trade deals which we could take from day 1. And the best bit is we can pick off the deals menu and do our own deals where we want. And the EFTA deals are pretty much based on the EU deals.

Win win win.

Oh I forgot, one ( very loud ) Norwegian politician ( who appears to speak for the whole of EFTA ) doesn't want us to join. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here