Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It will be interesting to see what Scotland does now.

I see how they benefit from membership of the EU institutions and being part of a 450 million Single Market. I also see how they will gain influence being part of the EU whilst being attached to the EU's biggest trading partner too.

Now we are out the the EU the argument for staying part of the UK is that much weaker.

And if Scotland is curious about the pros and cons of leaving a fractious domestic union and joining the EU as an independent nation then maybe they should ask Croatia how it has gone for them since leaving the Serbia-dominated Yugoslavia and joining the EU.

Yes agree - it will be really interesting.

Jimmy Krankie has consistently used this and blame the English for everything as her get out of jail free card. With Covid going through the roof up there and no prospect of a referendum for a while, Scotland are stuck with this for now. And it might just be a whole lot better for them then the picture she has been painting.

If Labour get their act together as well up there, I think she may have problems convincing the Scottish public. It'll be back to Rob Roy and the Act of Union.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The SNP are determined to leave the UK no matter what. They are just using the EU referendum as an excuse for another vote. If it turns out that it actually was a good decision, they will look for other reasons for independence.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We are unshackled . All along Germany wanted to rule us. Didn’t win two world wars & lose so many to be part of their brand plans.

Feeling, very, very happy today. Almost as good as BHA winning the Premier or a Cup. If only lightning would strike twice

:laugh:

I think this is what they call :fishing:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Well done Boris, step 2 on our path to rejoining has occurred. now SNP to win the elections in May (who would ever have thought Nicola Sturgeon would prove herself the best political leader in the Uk) Then we can vote on leaving England which no Tory can help by saying any of their ‘stronger together’ bollocks. Then we rejoin the EU and take the Euro (back to a hard currency). Won’t be much longer after that until Northern Ireland departs after that. So Boris and his ERG buddies can be proud of their break up of the UK all was it all part of little englander / bigotry / xenophobic / racist plan.

I feel so sorry for all you who lose a job next year over this
Not disputing some of the things you claim will occur in Scotland, but today's deal doesn't make Scotland leaving the UK more likely, does it? I'm not Scottish, but if anything it'd make it marginally less likely I imagine as no-deal would have emboldened people in Scotland further to seek independence?

Also, I have read that there is no guarantee that Scotland would be allowed into the EU. Not sure how true/false that is.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Not disputing some of the things you claim will occur in Scotland, but today's deal doesn't make Scotland leaving the UK more likely, does it? I'm not Scottish, but if anything it'd make it marginally less likely I imagine as no-deal would have emboldened people in Scotland further to seek independence?

Also, I have read that there is no guarantee that Scotland would be allowed into the EU. Not sure how true/false that is.
Scotland would have to accept the Euro to join the EU now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Jan 30, 2008
I am sure in your mind your endorsement is universally appreciated Dead Frog.

It's all over Lever move on now, out of the EU out of the customs union out of the Single Market out of the jurisdiction of the ECJ plus a trade Deal ,
R.I.P Watford bloke ,Dave in Denial , tubby ,Nicko AX1, Mr custard face , Grombleton, Vegster Simster, Hampster ,Grizzling Gammon ,Plooks Nibble ,Guinness boy and any other loser I forgot to mention
Merry Christmas to one and all
Regards
DF

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Scotland would have to accept the Euro to join the EU now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

It’s worth a lot more than the pound...bit of a no-brainer.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This is exactly why a General Election was required. Because the result of the democratically-held referendum showed no sign of ever being enacted by MPs who thought they knew better than the people they were elected to represent :shrug:
That is literally what they are there for, to know better and make decisions based on that knowledge.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It's all over Lever move on now out of the EU out of the customs union out of the Single Market out of the jurisdiction of the ECJ plus a trade Deal ,
R.I.P Watford bloke ,Dave in Denial , tubby ,Nicko AX1, Mr custard face , Grombleton, Vegster Simster, Hampster ,Grizzling Gammon ,Plooks Nibble Guinness boy and any other loser I forgot to mention
Merry Christmas to one and all
Regards
DF

In many ways it is all over Dog Faeces but gleeful gloating does nothing to forge better relations between the opposing factions.
You delight in the divisions which is why you will soon be redundant (in more ways than one)

I wish you the Christmas you deserve,

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Glad to see this has happened - with undoubtedly some give and take on both sides, more so on the UK side as would be expected from a smaller country - but it does mean we have implemented the vote from 2016 and can now move forwards.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Wonder if this deal is better or worse or pretty much the same as the May Deal? Has the deal changed much or has parliament just been largely cleared of MPs who were only ever absolutely clear about what they DIDN'T want? Which was just about any deal and every deal

As I understood it May's deal involved much closer ties with the EU than this deal (which is essentially a standard free trade agreement). As I remember it the main point of disagreement over the May deal was a potential tie in to the customs union, which would have made trade between the EU and Britain much more seamless, less red tape and border checks, but the fear was that it may have reduced the ability for the UK to strike its own trade deals with other nations.

Jan 30, 2008
In many ways it is all over Dog Faeces but gleeful gloating does nothing to forge better relations between the opposing factions.
You delight in the divisions which is why you will soon be redundant (in more ways than one)

I wish you the Christmas you deserve,

Thank you :cheers:
Regards
DF

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
A £660billion Brexit Trade deal with the EU :thumbsup:

Well done Boris and co, at least you didn't waver and collapse like the Theresa May Brexit team did, you stood firm, held your nerve and fought for your country.

This will have truly upset those in at the BBC who don't easily hide their contempt for Johnson and his party.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wonder if this deal is better or worse or pretty much the same as the May Deal? Has the deal changed much or has parliament just been largely cleared of MPs who were only ever absolutely clear about what they DIDN'T want? Which was just about any deal and every deal
Good question! As somebody said earlier in the thread, the devil's in the detail. Have we, for instance, sold our fishermen up the swanee (again)?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It will be interesting to see what Scotland does now.

I see how they benefit from membership of the EU institutions and being part of a 450 million Single Market. I also see how they will gain influence being part of the EU whilst being attached to the EU's biggest trading partner too.

Now we are out the the EU the argument for staying part of the UK is that much weaker.

not really, trade with EU is ~18%, trade with UK ~60% exports. all the arguments for UK staying in EU are valid and stronger for Scotland staying in the UK. as they wouldn't move from UK to EU, theres a problem of how to manage that transition for unknown period.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
A deal has been done !

I voted Remain, but that's pretty reductionist and demeaning to 52% of the voters, don't you think? And you don't reckon many a Remain voter was brainwashed with "better together" and "leavers are robbing our kids of their future", when in reality very few Brits (especially low-income workers) would ever be in a position to taste the benefits of EU membership, such as the ability to work in Europe (and I count myself as one who has, having lived and worked in Germany for a time)?

I don’t mean to be harsh, but this is my experience with the vast majority of Brexit voters unfortunately. Even on this very thread, have you seen a good solid argument for why Brexit is a good thing?

“Less red tape”... err, ok.

Completely duped by Farage, Cameron and his Tory cronies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here