Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Johnson is even more of an idiot than I (dis)credited him with if he can't get a deal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Johnson is even more of an idiot than I (dis)credited him with if he can't get a deal.

He looked an absolute state in the clips from last night; very nervous looking. He’s a shadow of the person he was a few years ago.

The news here is that the EU are moving towards putting in place initial steps for a no-deal. I think we have had enough.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There you go again using your meaningless worn out phrase 'undemocratic loon', making things up and being gratuitously rude.

It's your trademark.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/10/26...fabric-being-eroded-boris-johnsons-government

This was the context of what you were supporting Davis with saying.
Not made up at all. You can look it up.

“In democratic nations we hold regular meaningful elections where voters can stick with what they have or wipe the slate clean.
Crucial to this principle of people power is the rule that a government cannot bind its successors.
For example, if a party won an election promising to cut taxes, then it would have a mandate to do so.
But if that party could then pass a law saying no government could ever raise taxes again, it would undermine the right of the electorate to change its mind in future.
However, the EU has no such concept.
What it has is the acquis communautaire, a doctrine which states that the powers the EU has acquired belong to the EU forever.
This is not just undemocratic, it is anti-democratic.
Anti-democratic because through this doctrine the EU specifically seeks to bypass the views of voters.
If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy”

I dont give a toss you consider someone being called an undemocratic loon rude.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
He looked an absolute state in the clips from last night; very nervous looking. He’s a shadow of the person he was a few years ago.

The news here is that the EU are moving towards putting in place initial steps for a no-deal. I think we have had enough.

Yes enough is enough, the world is in crisis and things have to move on. Maybe a short transition was best if somewhat irresponsible on the part of our government.

For the sake of the UK and especially the increasing number of desperate people in these lands I pray there is a deal, lets face it before the negative economic effects of Brexit kick in we're already on track to be 19 / 20 for economic contraction in the G20. Whatever happens tough time ahead, just a question of how tough

The political stability of 450m on our doorstep is also incredibly important, if the EU bowed to the UK demands the SM would be comprimised and could ultimately fail, what would be the point of it?. This would be a far greater issue for the wider world and is more important than internal issues of a single nation state.

For the UK I'm afraid, "Too Much was never enough"...

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
This was the context of what you were supporting Davis with saying.
Not made up at all. You can look it up.

“In democratic nations we hold regular meaningful elections where voters can stick with what they have or wipe the slate clean.
Crucial to this principle of people power is the rule that a government cannot bind its successors.
For example, if a party won an election promising to cut taxes, then it would have a mandate to do so.
But if that party could then pass a law saying no government could ever raise taxes again, it would undermine the right of the electorate to change its mind in future.
However, the EU has no such concept.
What it has is the acquis communautaire, a doctrine which states that the powers the EU has acquired belong to the EU forever.
This is not just undemocratic, it is anti-democratic.
Anti-democratic because through this doctrine the EU specifically seeks to bypass the views of voters.
If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy”

I dont give a toss you consider someone being called an undemocratic loon rude.

Of course you don't like those who challenge your world view. That's who you are. You know little/nothing about me and so make it up.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Terrible news but unsurprising now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Excellent article from a Tory Eurosceptic about Brexit which excoriates both sides fairly

[TWEET]1336936513263853569[/TWEET]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I DO love the balanced views of such a politically neutral newspaper.
Which bits do you disagree with? It is basically saying Brexiteers believe no price is too great for a few ounces more of sovereignty, remainers believe we always had sovereignty and slightly more of it wasn't worth the enormous price we are about to pay.

The only other thing it suggests is that Johnson is a clueless, weak charlatan. There can't be many people who disagree with that can there? He is the worst PM we have ever had.

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

wasn't the election about 1 year ago? Johnson's pledge was to get Brexit done, end the uncertainty and move on. It was the mandate he was elected on and many people voted against Labour because they thought they would prolong the uncertainty whereas actually they would have got Brexit done by now.

Leaving the EU and staying in the customs Union would have been a far better outcome

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Which bits do you disagree with? It is basically saying Brexiteers believe no price is too great for a few ounces more of sovereignty, remainers believe we always had sovereignty and slightly more of it wasn't worth the enormous price we are about to pay.

The only other thing it suggests is that Johnson is a clueless, weak charlatan. There can't be many people who disagree with that can there? He is the worst PM we have ever had.

The irony being those views are echoes of deliberate misinformation

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Excellent article from a Tory Eurosceptic about Brexit which excoriates both sides fairly

[TWEET]1336936513263853569[/TWEET]

Good article. But the final line..

"taking control means taking responsibility"

There is no where to run to for the Vote Leave government, its their baby, their project and it will be Johnson's legacy....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
[tweet]1336939200659267584[/tweet]

They will soon discover the WTO has rules as well.

Whats more you have one seat whether you are Kiribati or the UK, its not like the European parliament where we have MEP's in a number relative to population

Its like being a member of FIFA but worse

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
That 'easiest deal in history' misquote certainly seems a tad naive but when you look at what was actually said ..

Coming to a free trade agreement with the EU should be "one of the easiest in human history" because our rules and laws are already the same, the international trade secretary has said.

Liam Fox is to set out his vision of the UK's trading relationship with the rest of the world after Brexit.

"The only reason we wouldn't come to a free and open agreement is because politics gets in the way of economics," Dr Fox told the Today programme.

... it is actually a reasonable point.
GIven that no international trade agreement in the history of international trade agreements has not been circumscribed by ‘politics’ it is actually a completely meaningless point.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Leaving the EU and staying in the customs Union would have been a far better outcome

leaving the customs union and negotiating a new tariff/control schedule would have been a better outcome than this, and satisfied all parties.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
wasn't the election about 1 year ago? Johnson's pledge was to get Brexit done, end the uncertainty and move on. It was the mandate he was elected on and many people voted against Labour because they thought they would prolong the uncertainty whereas actually they would have got Brexit done by now.

As I said after the vote, for such a close result they needed to compromise to both the leave and remain sides. Instead the Tories have pandered to the ERG over the UK. They refused to work with the other parties; it's a situation created purely by the Tories and the Tories owned.

The blaming will begin soon. Sunday or Monday?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
They will soon discover the WTO has rules as well.

Whats more you have one seat whether you are Kiribati or the UK, its not like the European parliament where we have MEP's in a number relative to population

Its like being a member of FIFA but worse

Kiribati you say, previously known as Christmas Island in the Pacific Ocean?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Kiribati you say, previously known as Christmas Island in the Pacific Ocean?

Yeap, not to be confused with Christmas Island a territory of Australia in the Indian Ocean more famous for housing Australian asylum seekers

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As I said after the vote, for such a close result they needed to compromise to both the leave and remain sides. Instead the Tories have pandered to the ERG over the UK. They refused to work with the other parties; it's a situation created purely by the Tories and the Tories owned.

The blaming will begin soon. Sunday or Monday?
No point in blaming anyone other than Johnson.

No one else has any power over the outcome now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here