Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
1st December 1990...

Capture.JPG

Progress for so long, now we go backwards...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So is that it then? The adverts encourage you to go the gov.uk website, and when you do it says WTO terms and no EU Treaty Freedoms. In my book that's Hard Brexit, No Deal.

It's been up for a few hours now, surely this can't be a cock-up?

It's a combination of brinkmanship and hard facts, Johnson showing that he is ok with no deal if the EU don't cave in and, if that, we default to WTO terms at least the government web site is correct for once.

Edit : For my money I think some slim deal will be done, No Deal will be very bad for us and quite bad for the EU, the EU are going to be the grown ups in the room and cut us some slack and waive some rules despite them being strong enough to cope better with the economic hit than us.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
So....
Who will the The Express, Sun, Telegraph and Mail blame for the forthcoming disaster - and who can this mendacious Government pin it on (obviously not themselves)?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So is that it then? The adverts encourage you to go the gov.uk website, and when you do it says WTO terms and no EU Treaty Freedoms. In my book that's Hard Brexit, No Deal.

It's been up for a few hours now, surely this can't be a cock-up?
"A failure of statecraft".

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
It's a combination of brinkmanship and hard facts, Johnson showing that he is ok with no deal if the EU don't cave in and, if that, we default to WTO terms at least the government web site is correct for once.

Edit : For my money I think some slim deal will be done, No Deal will be very bad for us and quite bad for the EU, the EU are going to be the grown ups in the room and cut us some slack and waive some rules despite them being strong enough to cope better with the economic hit than us.

hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Despite us trying to blow our economic brains out the EU, as our nearest neighbours know they'll pick up a nasty dry cleaning bill.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
So....
Who will the The Express, Sun, Telegraph and Mail blame for the forthcoming disaster - and who can this mendacious Government pin it on (obviously not themselves)?

A wild guess...

The Express - Boris has pulled off a winner as Brussels folds
The Sun - ditto
Telegraph - Victory, but Tory backbenchers demand more
Mail - ditto

The Express and Sun see the whole Brexit thingy as a binary issue, a bit like an ITV gameshow, and thinks most of their readers see it that way. XFactor on steroids, and all a bit yesterday.
The Telegraph has lost some faith in Boris and thinks its readers have too.
The Mail is in a bit of a bind. It's success is based on following along behind the instincts of its readers, articulating their views and then pretending that it's standing in front of them. It will have to be a bit wishy washy on this one, as it is, for exactly the same reasons, on fox hunting.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
My favourites on this thread these days :

It's actually not the posters who supported Brexit but don't have the balls to show their heads above the parapet now it's becoming clear to even the most stupid what is actually happening. They just ignore it, hoping it will go away and we all know your reading this but daren't post :wink:

But it's the few who will come on this thread, give a thumbs up to Ppf, POTG, Two Profs, or whoever the three of them are posting as these days, wouldn't dare actually post themselves, and then run away again.

If I'm bored and can be arsed tomorrow, I'll name them :lolol:

Family and entertainment calls :wave:

Tick tock

Jan 30, 2008
My favourites on this thread these days :

It's actually not the posters who supported Brexit but don't have the balls to show their heads above the parapet now it's becoming clear to even the most stupid what is actually happening. They just ignore it, hoping it will go away and we all know your reading this but daren't post :wink:

But it's the few who will come on this thread, give a thumbs up to Ppf, POTG, Two Profs, or whoever the three of them are posting as these days, wouldn't dare actually post themselves, and then run away again.

If I'm bored and can be arsed tomorrow, I'll name them :lolol:

Family and entertainment calls :wave:

Tick tock
Maybe you could call your friend for some more up to date information ???
regards
DF

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Are massive job losses Unicorns, and everybody just misunderstood?
Hard to judge, as all the Brexiteers on NSC don't seem to be able to coherently list the benefits of Brexit versus the negatives.
Deals with Samoa, Serbia, Montenegro and Lichtenstein not to be sniffed at I guess

I can shamelessly list one benefit of Brexit.

The MHRA no longer beholden to the EMA, which has enabled the UK to quickly turn around approval of vaccines [emoji106]

Thankfully the EMA have said they will work through Christmas to look at the data [emoji106]

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....vid-19-vaccine-approval-in-europe-11606816904

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Only one benefit? Triff. Not sure it matter much
The Tories will be involved. Any time saved will quickly evaporate when they are rolling anything out

I see we are not leaving the ECHR after all. Thought we were. Another capitulation.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Really not sure they know what they are doing. Clearly completely unprepared.....

Which is surprising given they told us they were ready for No Deal in March 2019.

And again in October 2019.

And again in January 2020.

And supposedly are again in January 2021...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Here's a surprise! We are woefully under-prepared for Brexit. Who'd have thought it?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brex...-border-catastrophe/ar-BB1bxFpC?ocid=msedgdhp

In short:

MPs today branded Boris Johnson’s Brexit a “cold turkey” as they warned of potential catastrophe at UK borders.

A powerful committee of MPs said the Government is taking “limited responsibility” for Brexit readiness with just four weeks to go before the end of the transition period

Wow - Johnson avoiding responsibility? No-one saw that one coming!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Here's a surprise! We are woefully under-prepared for Brexit. Who'd have thought it?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brex...-border-catastrophe/ar-BB1bxFpC?ocid=msedgdhp

In short:

MPs today branded Boris Johnson’s Brexit a “cold turkey” as they warned of potential catastrophe at UK borders.

A powerful committee of MPs said the Government is taking “limited responsibility” for Brexit readiness with just four weeks to go before the end of the transition period

Wow - Johnson avoiding responsibility? No-one saw that one coming!

Its still avoidable, get some sort of extension to avoid chaos, the EU would agree to it.

Everyone bar the headbangers would agree its in our interests and Europe's interests.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I can shamelessly list one benefit of Brexit.

The MHRA no longer beholden to the EMA, which has enabled the UK to quickly turn around approval of vaccines [emoji106]

Thankfully the EMA have said they will work through Christmas to look at the data [emoji106]

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....vid-19-vaccine-approval-in-europe-11606816904
Actually that was shot down at the press conference, the vaccine was approved while still adhering to EU guidelines and protocols.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Actually that was shot down at the press conference, the vaccine was approved while still adhering to EU guidelines and protocols.

They might have followed EU guidelines but getting regulation from the MRHA and not the EMA is the key here and we were able to do it because
vaccines would normally be authorised by the European Medicines Agency until the end of the Brexit transition on December 31. However the UK’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency has the power to temporarily authorise products, in cases of urgent public need.

The EMA have said they will work over Christmas to approve the drug for those in the EU.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
deal is done, both sides playing down the clock so there is as little time as possible for objections. fisheries will be a storm both sides, neither side will be happy but in no deal they are stuffed anyway (EU not allowed to catch, UK not economic to sell).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here